Logging road radio freqency and VHF radios

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Besides having the radio, one has to know what's going on and how to use it.

It is just like a beacon, if you don't practise and use it, life can become chitty real fast.

One needs to know how to talk (whether going to the mill or away from it), what to ask and what info to give (yes, if the road is active call every km in and out), and also very important, one needs to know the road or where the pull-outs are so that you can get out of the way and "be clear". There are some stretches of road that you may wait for several kms because if you proceed you will put yourself and the trucker in jeopardy.

The good shops will only install within the law as they can lose their license. They charge for their expertise and that will usually run you anywhere from $700 to $1000 for a radio that you can receive and transmit on, which is another important protocol.

Don't take this lightly as the truckers lively hood depends on them getting up and down the mountain safely. A pick-up pulling a four place enclosed with no chains (and sometimes even with chains) meeting a fully loaded logging truck with no place to turn around is a serious accident waiting to happen. Be safe out there this winter!!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh just great does this mean my radio is useless with these new resourse channels coming in?

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh just great does this mean my radio is useless with these new resourse channels coming in?

No, I'm not to sure yet about anything "new" ? Resource roads ? Same difference. What has changed ?

I don't think anything has changed. Bush roads have road Channels ?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded all the new frequencies, and i have none of them. RR15A is 150.545 With 114.8 tone what ever the hell that means.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you dont have a radio just sit and wait at the radio required sign and follow someone in. They will understand whats up and call your kms and when they pull over or slow down follow suit!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I just downloaded all the new frequencies, and i have none of them. RR15A is 150.545 With 114.8 tone what ever the hell that means.

Means the frequency is 150.545mhz with a send/receive tone of 114.8.

You can have a frequency of 150.54 but without the tone, you cant listen or transmit...

jonniebud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a hand held it works great the frequicy is stated at the beginning of the logging road .all logging trucks call their k marker weather it be going in wich is called up or going out witch is down. eg 1 up just goin in or 3 down witch is 3k commin out so pull over cause chances are hes full of logs and has the right of way:d

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heres how calling works for us alberta boys,most roads I run on are as stated earlier Ladd 1 2 3 .......going in on the road you call empty,comming out you call loaded ex...loaded km 21 20 19 and so on,going in the opposite empty 2 3 4 and so on,jump on the andy miller/river/centre roads by rocky on a busy day without a radio is a death wish,just listening is crazy.
The empty loaded thing sounds backward but it takes after the logging trucks and has held up for a long time

tonykunz

Reaction score

The tone is like a PIN for your debit card, its an added security to the frequency.

I'd get a Kenwood Nx700 radio, it's basically a copy and paste to load up the 4 or 5 zone banks (Think of a group of channels used in the same area). Motorola's are a pain in the arse because they have to program every single channel in by hand, so you pay more to get it programmed. Most places can throw a general set of frequencies on.

Self-programmable radio's are illegal, and if you tie up an emergency by talking on a channel they are on and there is a fatality or anything, you can be held liable should they find you. The RCMP didn't want to get involved with it, but Industry Canada usually cracks down the last 3 months of the year with patrolling radio use.

If anyone wants a radio frequency list, I just had two of our radio's reprogrammed with the new Coal Mine frequencies in Tumbler and Chetwynd.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the kenwood tk 880, maybe I will have to get a self programmable one. I am not running those roads without knowing where the trucks are.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not to sure yet about anything "new" ? Resource roads ? Same difference. What has changed ?

I don't think anything has changed. Bush roads have road Channels ?

Don't you drive a truck?

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Like stated earlier;Even if you have a radio ALWAYS expect a fast moving pickup coming at you around the next corner!!!
Doesn't matter where you are;there's always some travelling without radio's.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Like stated earlier;Even if you have a radio ALWAYS expect a fast moving pickup coming at you around the next corner!!!
Doesn't matter where you are;there's always some travelling without radio's.

Happens more often than not :rolleyes: The bush is a very busy place these days :)

Attachments

• Grease me.jpg
    Grease me.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 177

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
If it is a call road and i don't have a radio i just wait and tag on with a guy going in and ask him to call 2 in

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Certain areas in BC and AB depending on who bonds the road (oil company or timber) will not alow that. No radio = no go. Some access roads also have security set up to limit unnesessary traffic. Canfor and Weyerhauser for example have road patrol and they will stop you for breaking the rules. Private or commercial traffic are treated the same if speeding or driving recklessly.

It's hit and miss where you go. It's best to plan ahead and eliminate unwanted surprises :beer:

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Phone peter munro @ mmr (metro mobile radio sales ) 604-888-5100 . Thats where I pcked up my hand held feild programable icom vhf radio . You email him the frequncy that you want they will programe those in for you ,plus you can still programe more channels at any time , They take visa mc and will ship to your door . hope this helps

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tone is like a PIN for your debit card, its an added security to the frequency.

I'd get a Kenwood Nx700 radio, it's basically a copy and paste to load up the 4 or 5 zone banks (Think of a group of channels used in the same area). Motorola's are a pain in the arse because they have to program every single channel in by hand, so you pay more to get it programmed. Most places can throw a general set of frequencies on.

Self-programmable radio's are illegal, and if you tie up an emergency by talking on a channel they are on and there is a fatality or anything, you can be held liable should they find you. The RCMP didn't want to get involved with it, but Industry Canada usually cracks down the last 3 months of the year with patrolling radio use.

If anyone wants a radio frequency list, I just had two of our radio's reprogrammed with the new Coal Mine frequencies in Tumbler and Chetwynd.

they are not ellegal if you have an operators licence

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting one. I just got the my licence for the radio. The radio should be in by the end of this week. Then I will be good to go.

Top Bottom