Left side throttle??

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems to be a 2 sided thing these days. i find i can't get out far enough to the left without one. Use your tether cord, guys have found they will stick (freeze). takes a little getting used to, ride with left throttle for a day or so. i'm not 6 ft tall so i find it easier.

friggin not tall.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
took mine off the only time i used it was on the trail ride home...good rider dont use them cause when you lean to the left you counter steer bringing the throttle to the left side of the sled anyway...doesnt mater if you 5ft tall or 6ft5 " tall:di have a goldy if you want ittrade for some beer:beer::beer::d

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must have item??

Who is using what type? Happy / unhappy?

Any info is appreciated.

Don't bother. You don't need it. To maintain proper control of your sled your hands shouldn't come off the handle bars. Not even to use the mountain strap/bar. This is straight from the mouth of Bret Rasmussen, and one of the main points of his school this week in McBride. Trust me he practices what he preaches, and he does some amazing things when he is riding. Not once did I see his hands come off the bars. Bret isn't a big guy either. He is the same height as me. About 5'-7" and slim.

H2O

Reaction score
I agree...... seen and heard of too many sleds that roll upside down.... and are running at WOT.

Or it sticks WOT and the sled slams into a tree.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree...... seen and heard of too many sleds that roll upside down.... and are running at WOT.

Or it sticks WOT and the sled slams into a tree.

heard the same but what is the tether cord on the sled for? i use the lefty because no way in he-- do i( or hope to) ride like Rasmussen. doubt i could even follow.

friggin stuck again

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heard the same but what is the tether cord on the sled for? i use the lefty because no way in he-- do i( or hope to) ride like Rasmussen. doubt i could even follow.

friggin stuck again

True. I don't expect I'll ever ride as good as Bret either. He just makes it look so easy it fools you into thinking anyone should be able to do it. The way he rides it looks effortless. Actually the more I think about it the more frustrated I am because I look like a 3 legged donkey out there. Anyway, I find that the pro is really easy to carve to the left with both hands on the bars. I actually have more trouble getting on the right, and I need to grab the mountain strap a lot of the time. It's not an issue with the sled, just the rider. I got to keep practicing.:beer:

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The newer sleds have narrower bars than the old ones did. I had one on my 02 800 RMK and really needed it, so when I bought my 08 Dragon I put one on and hardly ever use it. It is nice for on the trail to give your thumb a rest, and give your sled a bit of gas when you pull the starter rope. I'm not going to take mine off, but would not do it again with a new sled.

Trench:beer:

jew door

Reaction score
I had a friend break his back because of one. If you need a left hand throttle, you should stay home. Leave the powder for me!

bushboy

Reaction score
Hi there,

I see your points about not needing this to ride mountain snow. I have no mountain experience so I'll take ya'lls word for it.

I am thinking of modifying a sled and a quad for a friend of mine so he can join us on our mild flatland trail rides. He lost his right hand, but is adept at using his prosthesis. Only prob we are having is he can't use the throttle. Can someone expand on the freezing issues and perhaps suggest brand/models please. Is this still not a good idea in general? Even with a tether?

Thanks

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem with the left throttle is that there is more area for the throttle to freeze wide open, if you use a tether, the motor will shut off if something happens and you fall off etc. if you don't fall off you can hit the kill switch. the problem is guys just don't use the tether and the sled gets away from them.
why would you ride a sled without a tether, no way to shut sled down if it bucks you off, with or without left throttle. IMO an experienced rider would not ride without tether hooked up, unless he hasn't had the "
experience".

this should work for your bud.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem you hear about the most is that moisture inside the cable housing will freeze and cause the throttle to stick wide open. I have never had this issue after 10 years of using one but it could happen if you don't keep the throttle cable lubed up. I also put some silicone on the end of the cable housing to try and keep water out.

Trench

crazyforwinter

Reaction score
Hi there,

I see your points about not needing this to ride mountain snow. I have no mountain experience so I'll take ya'lls word for it.

I am thinking of modifying a sled and a quad for a friend of mine so he can join us on our mild flatland trail rides. He lost his right hand, but is adept at using his prosthesis. Only prob we are having is he can't use the throttle. Can someone expand on the freezing issues and perhaps suggest brand/models please. Is this still not a good idea in general? Even with a tether?

Thanks

I have a guy we ride with that also lost his right hand below the elbow...... he switched the throttle and brake from side to side. Its a bit awkward at first, cause you have the throttle on upside down on the left side and he has to pull on it, but then the brake is on the right hand side and he pushed on the lever with the stub of his forearm. Might be worth a try, and best of all it is free, just takes a bit of time to switch them around!

Reaction score
I had a left hand throttle on my 700 Dragon, my handlebars cracked and it pulled the cable going to the throttle and the throttle stuck opened out and it crashed into a bunch of trees and totaled the sled.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a left hand throttle on my 700 Dragon, my handlebars cracked and it pulled the cable going to the throttle and the throttle stuck opened out and it crashed into a bunch of trees and totaled the sled.

so how come your tether didn't stop your sled? was it due also to the broken handlebar?

Top Bottom