Laws regarding snowmobiles in Alberta

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are the laws in Alberta?

Are you allowed to ride a snowmobile anywhere as long as its registered and insured?

What are the laws regarding Ditches? In town? On rivers?

I know some towns are different as far as riding then in town limits. I'm just meaning in general.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
What are the laws in Alberta?

Are you allowed to ride a snowmobile anywhere as long as its registered and insured?

What are the laws regarding Ditches? In town? On rivers?

I know some towns are different as far as riding then in town limits. I'm just meaning in general.

varies by the town or county you are riding in, my suggestion would be to contact your town or county.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always operated under the belief that no where in Alberta were you allowed to drive "along" a paved road, ie. ditch running. I was aware that some towns allowed sleds limited travel "in-town", but not a universal thing. Anyone have a link to the appropiate legislation?

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anywhere if you dont get caught :p

JUST KIDDIN

Thats pretty much how its been, I've never registered my sleds before. Never had anything worth enough to really be worried about insurance before now. So it's been, ride and if the cops come, don't stop! lol

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
ITs a lot easier to talk with a cop if you have insurance and registration then if you dont.Thats what they wanna see. Paperwork. I have been stopped a few time ditch banging. Calgary Area. Checked my paper work. Have a great day. Not saying thats the Law. Just my experience with them. If they give you a hard time. Tell them there are alot worse things you could be doing right now :)

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thou shalt not ride in the county of Strathcona......

Darn bylaw guys have got us twice in the last 10 years, first time was just the boys riding to the cooking lake store to get milk, got a calland had to go pick up the sleds....second time 12 sleds and three generationsof family out for a Christmas ride from farm to farm, all sleds insured and registered, 12 tickets for christmas.....

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't want to hit something and tear an A-arm off while trying to run from the pigs, I mean cops. I got stopped one time. Didnt have insurance or registration on me. (sled was insured not yet registered) I was on the lake. $330.00 for no insurance and no registration. And a warning for not having my drivers license on me.

Strathcona county is $250.00 if your caught in the ditch. They hate us in that county.
Generally it is illegal to snowmobile along any "highway" in Alberta, fence line to fence line. Including approaches, bridges, culverts, and secondarys. The counties I believe look after the range roads. And if I'm not mistaken they all run provincial law rules. However certain counties will turn a blind eye as long as you are riding respectfully.

I liked the sign Fox Creek has when your entering the town from the Triangle trail. It pretty much states riding through town is illeagle, however you can run the shortest distance to where ya need to be from the trail as long as you drive smart and respectful, And they state Snowmobilers have zero right of way.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Darn bylaw guys have got us twice in the last 10 years, first time was just the boys riding to the cooking lake store to get milk, got a calland had to go pick up the sleds....second time 12 sleds and three generationsof family out for a Christmas ride from farm to farm, all sleds insured and registered, 12 tickets for christmas.....

Now that's just completly ignorant.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about rivers? Considered crown land right? should be perfectly legal to ride?

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

damn you auta ask Carlsonswerve a story about Sylvan Lake! I have a few gooders myself. The town/cops of SL truly thinks its/their above the law. DO NOT GET CAUGHT lol ....its seems almost like theve caught a murderer when they role up on ya here lol

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm not sure any more but my wife called the authorities in the sturgeon area a few years ago and as far as highway ditch riding they said you were not supposed to be in a ditch on a single numbered highway; highway 2, 1, etc.....16, 28....ok.
I do not go anywhere near strathcona anymore as the cops are nothing but rookie bastards out there..... Stopped a bunch of us one time for riding from ministik to the south cooking lake store just as we were crossing the range road to get to the ditch..... good thing a couple guys came racing down the snow covered roads and passed them and they took off after them instead.....
My sister in law had a gun pulled on her by a cop once while she was in the ditch by south cooking lake as well and was told to
STOP!!!!
She reported that guy.....

Used to be a good area from half moon to hay lakes.....

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Onoway allows point a to point b travel....or strain into or out of town...... And lac. St. County won't even bat an eye at a sled in the ditch on the hwy. as long as you stay out of the median. I haven't even been stopped for papers yet.

As far as not owning anything worth insuring. It's not about your machine.... It's about possible injury or damage to someone else or their property. Getting sued for personal injury or loss is a chitty deal for the 1-200$ liability on a sled costs

LB_

Reaction score

I ride and live in the same area. Strathcona county has too much money (and not enough serious issues) if they feel it important enough to hire enforcement officers to catch sledders in the ditch. What a waste! The county then sends out brochures deflecting blame back on the province stating that 'it is the province's law, we simply enforce it'. The reality is there are numerous counties (Whitecourt, Lac Ste. Anne) and municipalities in Alberta that have adjustments in their bylaws to either supercede provincial law or more simply choose to not enforce the provincial law. Ultimately, Strathcona County simply chooses to not allow sledders in the ditch and they think they fool us by suggesting that the province doesn't allow it.

It gives me great joy to see the ditches covered in sled tracks after getting some fresh snow.

pigfarmer

Reaction score
I have rode Thorhild County, for years, never any issues with ridin the ditches and creeks. It has been alot of years since I have been stopped by the police. All they looked for was license and registration, never told us we could not ride the ditches.

Snowmobile rallies in Thorhild county go down the ditches all the time and the local gov't and police are usually involved in these events, so I don't think it is illegal to snowmobile in the ditches. Different counties can have diffenet rules I guess though.

LB_

Reaction score
I have rode Thorhild County, for years, never any issues with ridin the ditches and creeks. It has been alot of years since I have been stopped by the police. All they looked for was license and registration, never told us we could not ride the ditches.

Snowmobile rallies in Thorhild county go down the ditches all the time and the local gov't and police are usually involved in these events, so I don't think it is illegal to snowmobile in the ditches. Different counties can have diffenet rules I guess though.

Same thing in Strathcona county for sanctioned events. The county issues a permit to 'allow' the events. Otherwise, it is most definitely illegal to sled in the ditches. If not, there are a whole lot of people receiving tickets for something that is legal.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Same thing in Strathcona county for sanctioned events. The county issues a permit to 'allow' the events. Otherwise, it is most definitely illegal to sled in the ditches. If not, there are a whole lot of people receiving tickets for something that is legal.

We were told, in order to ride in strathcona, you had to apply for a permit....takes 2 weeks. Had to state when you would be riding, which date. They persuade you not to ride by doing this.....of course, there was a fee as well....

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were told, in order to ride in strathcona, you had to apply for a permit....takes 2 weeks. Had to state when you would be riding, which date. They persuade you not to ride by doing this.....of course, there was a fee as well....

sounds simmilar to owning a hand gun sheesh

Top Bottom