KX 65 Bogging Down

Russ37

Reaction score
Bought a used 2001 KX 65 down in Calgary last week,it ran good when i tried it down there, would i need to re jet the carb to run near Stony Plain? What should I look at first?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
My girl and boy ride KX 65 and if your kid is new to dirt biking make sure your running a 40 to 50:1 fuel ratio until they learn to use the power band. That bike needs to be rode aggressively in order to keep it from loading up with fuel and bogging out, fouling the plug. Did you gas it up them it wouldn't run or are you using the same gas it had in it when you bought it? And don't cheap out on the premix oil....you should run a full synthetic if your going to run it leaner. Keep the RPMs up on that lil sucker. And have a pocket full of plugs on hand till they learn how to giver.

Russ37

Reaction score
I Have now heard from a few people to lean out the mix to 40:1. I currently have a 32:1 mix now. Should i run premium fuel in it or just regular. Do you have a plug preference , the br9 or 10.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I Have now heard from a few people to lean out the mix to 40:1. I currently have a 32:1 mix now. Should i run premium fuel in it or just regular. Do you have a plug preference , the br9 or 10.

Definitely use a premium fuel. I use a Torco synthetic oil and run a 45:1 in my daughters kx65. Some say I'm running too lean but I disagree. That 65 has been raced for 3 seasons by my son and has been handed down to my daughter and this is her second season on it. Have NOT ever opened up the engine other then replacing the clutch. Running strong still with good compression. I run my sons KTM 85sx at 50:1 when he races and 45:1 when on the trails. It's a 2007. Still original top end. I believe the key is a consistent fuel mixture with top grade oil/gas and regular oil changes. And a damn clean air filter.

Russ37

Reaction score
I have to figure this out for him, he is having a hard time with the starting with the clutch. this is where i really notice the bogging as he is not yet quick enough with the clutch lever to grab and adjust the throttle. He is getting quite disturbed. i am running the Maxxime oil as this was what the Dealership recomended(wasnt cheap). As for the plugs do you have any preference?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I have to figure this out for him, he is having a hard time with the starting with the clutch. this is where i really notice the bogging as he is not yet quick enough with the clutch lever to grab and adjust the throttle. He is getting quite disturbed. i am running the Maxxime oil as this was what the Dealership recomended(wasnt cheap). As for the plugs do you have any preference?
Br9 works good. Once he gets on to using that clutch there will be no stopping him :d

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The KX65 was recommended to run at 32:1 but you can likley get away with 40:1 if using quality synthetic.

If he is stalling alot up the idle a little so the rpm's stay a little higher when he lets off the throttle.

Get the bike up on a stand, get rid of any old fuel. If you are familar with carbs, pull it off and take off the bottom bowl. Spray some carb cleaner around everything making sure there is no varnish build up. Spray it all around the slide and needle as well. If you are really familar with carbs pull the jets out and make sure they are not clogged up. Mix up some fresh premium and start the bike up. Run it for a few minutes and open up the throttle giving it some good revs. Pop in a new plug and let him at it!

Here is a link to a owners manual to the KX65

If that link stops working then go to here: http://www.pdf-manual.com/user-guide-instruction-owner-manual-kawasaki-kx-65-2001-18583.html At the bottom of that page it says Download, click that then it takes a few seconds for an available manual to pop up to download.

It might help with some of your questions.

Top Bottom