Kurtis polaris gear down kit

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys running this? And what did you do as far as clutching to obtain optimal results

I read about it over on snowest but since I am not a paid member I couldnt dive too deep into it.

Does any run run this setup on a 600? I also read on there guys with 600s the gear down and different clutching are beating 800s:confused:

rmscustom

Reaction score
Best bang for your buck mod to a Pro Imo. Kurt's has a helix and spring that work well with it.

Never seen a 600 with one but I'm sure it would work well.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you just kept the stock secondary then?

If you don't mind me asking how much did the whole system end up costing you

rmscustom

Reaction score
Yep, you keep the stock secondary and put a different helix and spring in it.

If I remember right the gear down is $599 and the custom helix spring is around $200.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks quite impressive in terms of minimizing clutch heat.. the thread of youtube videos on it speaks of seeing a 5 MPH track speed increase under full load climbs.

I'd like to see if anyone on here has real world proven numbers, ex. looking at the gauges on a stock vs. Kit modified machine.

Seems like a huge increase for price point. Next best thing to spending 6k on a turbo kit.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks interesting for sure. Been wondering what little thing i wanted to do this year just to satisfy the urge, might have to give this a shot.

rmscustom

Reaction score
Looks quite impressive in terms of minimizing clutch heat.. the thread of youtube videos on it speaks of seeing a 5 MPH track speed increase under full load climbs.

I'd like to see if anyone on here has real world proven numbers, ex. looking at the gauges on a stock vs. Kit modified machine.

Seems like a huge increase for price point. Next best thing to spending 6k on a turbo kit.

Same day, same hill, same track length this is what we found.

My sled with the RKT DI kit was pulling 35-36mph.

Buds sled with kurts gear down and clutching was pulling 40-41mph on the gauge but the gear down kit makes it inaccurate.

We both switched back and forth multiple times and agreed mine seemed to have a little more pull on the longer ones and his had the edge on the shorter pulls.

I cant wait to stack the gear down on top of the RKT kit this year.

If I'm correct on my math both sleds that day were pulling almost identical track speed. And before one of you guys that get 60mph trackspeed on a stock sled chimes in this was a DEEP day and I was looking at the mph right on the edge of turning out time.

Btw the sled with the gear down kit clutch belt life went from trashing one at 200miles to getting 700+ out of them.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definitely sounds like itd be worth the cash, for the performance and the savings in belts over time.

thanks for the video rms, to be honest i didnt even know the secondary had a spring in it before I watched that vid haha

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would a guy be able to retrofit a gear down kit on a 12

By that I mean tear out the chaincase and all that and put in the gear down kit...I'd imagine the brake setup would be different though?

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I don't think you could because the bearings on the jack and drive shafts are supported by the chaincase. And I don't know if the shafts are even the same size.... You can change the gear ratio by just changing the gears in the chain case though. Or if you want the belt drive you can get an aftermarket belt drive which I think you can usually choose from a few different gear ratios.

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I haven't really looked into it but I think there are a few companies that make a belt drive conversion like that.... But that's the idea!

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TKI offers a retrofit for the 11/12's with a 2.25 gear ratio. If you switch to the 13 setup then you can go 2.0-2.50.

Switching over to the 13+ setup can be done but it is pricey and requires alot of parts (jackshaft, disc brake, case, etc)

Top Bottom