KTM 2 strokes can they be plated?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back to the original question, yes thy can be.

KTM imports their bikes, or at least in recent years with out a designation and when you register it you can then classify it.

I have known a few people that when they register them the office asks if it is on road or off road. You obviously need a bike license to register it on road. When I was asked on my last bike I didn't have a bike license so I had to select off-road. Then it's basically off-road forever.

You can then determine what items like mirrors, blinkers and dot tires you want to run to be legal.

I work with a guy who just did his new 300 XC. He may never use it on road but the option is there.

I have heard people say if he gets stopped now off road with a road plate he will have issues but it's just like off-roading your road truck. As long as you are where you are supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome thanks... would love to plate a 300 xc-w... i suppose if you had an off road looking bike and got stopped most cops wouldn't know what to look for...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would he have issues getting stopped off road? Wouldn't he be the same as my 530 now?

I didn't say he would but there are all the naysayers who know everything who say otherwise.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't say he would but there are all the naysayers who know everything who say otherwise.

you are correct... i agree 100 percent... but if the bike was legal plated and had light and signal and dot approved tires what else could they say?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be street legal you need a horn, signal lights, head light with high and low beam, one mirror and the tail light/brake light. Dot tires are a must also but no one will ever check those. Mine are but you have to look real close to see the dot mark.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be street legal you need a horn, signal lights, head light with high and low beam, one mirror and the tail light/brake light. Dot tires are a must also but no one will ever check those. Mine are but you have to look real close to see the dot mark.

your 530 how long you get before top end has to be redone?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No real answer to that. I have heard of guys doing it at 60 hrs, 100, 160 260 etc. I have 9000 kms on the bike and probably around 400 hrs on it or more. Engine is original as far as I know.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No real answer to that. I have heard of guys doing it at 60 hrs, 100, 160 260 etc. I have 9000 kms on the bike and probably around 400 hrs on it or more. Engine is original as far as I know.

thats impressive... how often you change the oil/check the valves

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got it this spring. I bought a full shim kit then checked the valves. They are in spec. Ill check them again later this summer as long as everything is sounding good. I change the oil frequently. Depending on the ride I might change it after a ride or after a few rides. Depends on if it is a 300 kms high speed high rev, I will change it after. If it is like a off road only that I might only do 40-50kms then I will leave it till the next one depending again on how that one is. I can get oil for free if my timing is right so I don't mind changing it often. Easy to do with my lift. I don't change the filter every change neither. Only change it once so far and will probably change it maybe a total of three times this season.

Top Bottom