Klim or 509 Helmet???

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't care for klim, and ended up going with 509 a couple years ago and liked it. This year I'm trying the new Motorfist.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Went with 509 evolution , price was right and any one of them is better than what I had for the last 8 yrs lol.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was gonna go with the 509s but there are so many mixed reviews, I think I will go with those nice smith I/OX darkness ones instead.

biggie25

Reaction score
just got a 509 c2.. seems to be very comfortable.. been out with it on 5 rides already..

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For helmets, choose the one that fits your head the best. I have both the Klim Helmet and the 509. I changed from the Klim to 509 as it was a little lighter feeling, but ended up switching back, because the Klim has WAY better venting and I found I wasn't as hot and had less problems with the goggles fogging up.
As far as goggles go, again try them with the helmet and choose the one that seems to fit best on your face with the helmet. I haven't tried the Klim goggles, but the 509 are nice, and pretty much any other ski goggle works really well.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as goggles go, again try them with the helmet and choose the one that seems to fit best on your face with the helmet.

Generally the theory is that you should get the helmet and the goggles from the same manufacturer as they are designed to work together properly (shape wise). I use a top of the line Fox helmet because it is very light and has great ventilation but some brands of ski/sled googles don't seem to fit right at my temples.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Generally the theory is that you should get the helmet and the goggles from the same manufacturer as they are designed to work together properly (shape wise). I use a top of the line Fox helmet because it is very light and has great ventilation but some brands of ski/sled googles don't seem to fit right at my temples.
Yes, that is the theory, but it's bollucks (no offence). Unless the goggles have some sort of funky frame design, pretty much all goggles will work with most helmets these days, and I find it more important that the goggle fit your face well (as that is where you end up with fogging issues, not wear it meets the helmet). That is why I said find the helmet that fits your head best, then try different goggles with that helmet to find the one that best fits your face. The foam on goggles now is generous enough to conform to the lines of the helmet (so you don't get that gap), but I find the way it fits around your temples, cheeks and nose to be the most important, as if that doesn't have a good seal, that is where the majority of fogging issues will come from. Moisture will make it's way into the goggle through those gaps, and lead to fogging.
I ran both 509 helmet and goggles last year for the exact reason you stated above, and I had so many issues with fogging, as the 509 didn't fit my face very well.

Find a helmet that fits your head, is comfortable, and has good venting, then find goggles that work with both the helmet and your face (and the breath box if you are going to use one). Use a little fan or something to see if there are gaps around your face.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless your getting a carbon 509 the standard ones just a overpriced AFX helmet. And i have one, the first 509 evolution. Its ok as a helmet. I would like the optional ventilation of the klim.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the theory, but it's bollucks (no offence).

I was actually agreeing with you... Had many helmets over the years and the helmet I have now I really like but not all goggles fit well with it. Have half a dozen goggles in the trailer at any one time - some for dirt biking, some for winter, some for spring - just need a pair that can see the hidden dangers under the snow this time of year…!

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever fits your noggin best. I'm on my second Klim helmet. Love it. Not as light as some others, but very comfortable for me and great venting. I am also quite happy with my Oakley Crowbar goggles.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone I know that has a klim helmet gets a cold head. I personally have never used a klim but I have had a verity of helmets over the years and I love love love my 509 evolution. I wish I would have spent a little more on the carbon fiber one.

SRT

Reaction score
I can't say about helmet.... Bit I had 509 sinisters and didn't like them.. They fogged all the time and strap fell apart. I bought the Klim Radius and so far they are great.

Just killing time.

Top Bottom