Kijiji warning

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This isn't a warning about the site itself, I've used it a lot with great success, but rather a warning about potential buyers. I've heard in the past the odd case of an item getting stolen after being shown to an interested buyer but with the downturn in the economy the problem is escalating. I've heard of sellers now getting the crap beat out of them. I think we just need to take some extra precautions;

- If you can, meet the interested buyer at a public place ie, Wal Mart,etc not at your house or business.
- If they don't purchase what you're selling on the spot take a longer drive back home than you normally would just to give you time to see if anyone is following you.
- If you do sell something that requires a bill of sale with your address on it take a few minutes to check around your place to make sure things are locked up or at least out of sight.

Any other tips any of you have feel free to post.

Just a reminder these scumbags are out there and even more so since they are probably out of work.

Cheers....

SwampRatt

Reaction score
I caught the tail end of a story on the 6:00 news a few nights back. Calgary has a spot set up that buyers and sellers can meet up, looked like a parking lot, with an officer present to witness the transaction. Unfortunate that this is necessary at all, but a good idea if this is how society is gonna be

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crap Gates don't know where you get your info but each and ever Canadian has the right to protect them selves it is enshrine in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Here is brief history of how we arrived to where we are now. The 800 plus year old Magna Carta and its companion document, the Charter of the Forest, laid the foundation for fundamental principles of modern democratic life. In Canada, they helped shape the British North America Act of 1867 and the 1982 Charter of Rights and Freedoms that we enjoy right today. This does not give you the right to shoot some unarmed pecker head you don't happen to like, but if said pecker head had a gun, weapon or is threatening some one in your house, blast the sh!t out them you will not have a problem at all (well maybe a little dry wall repair and some painting). Its simple every man's home is his castle its been that way for over 800 years . Over 115,000 Canadians have given their life to keep that way. I am thankful every day for the freedoms and security we have, I hope you will be to some day .
To bad Canadians are not allowed to protect themselves and their property, that would end most of the bs.

Last edited:

abiceman

Reaction score
I saw the same bit and I think the spot is at a police station, good on them for being pro active. I would love to see that up here in Edmonton.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crap Gates don't know where you get your info but each and ever Canadian has the right to protect them selves it is enshrine in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Here is brief history of how we arrived to where we are now. The 800 plus year old Magna Carta and its companion document, the Charter of the Forest, laid the foundation for fundamental principles of modern democratic life. In Canada, they helped shape the British North America Act of 1867 and the 1982 Charter of Rights and Freedoms that we enjoy right today. This does not give you the right to shoot some unarmed pecker head you don't happen to like, but if said pecker head had a gun, weapon or is threatening some one in your house, blast the sh!t out them you will not have a problem at all (well maybe a little dry wall repair and some painting). Its simple every man's home is his castle its been that way for over 800 years . Over 115,000 Canadians have given their life to keep that way. I am thankful every day for the freedoms and security we have, I hope you will be to some day .

That may be your interpretation of our laws but in fact if you blow someone away in your house or on your property there's a high probability that you'll be charged with unsafe storage of a firearm, using a firearm in the commission of an offence as well as either manslaughter or second degree murder. Canadian firearms laws don't allow you to keep a gun at the ready in your house, it either has to be locked up or rendered inoperative by either a locking mechanism or by removing the bolt etc. If you discover an intruder and shoot him, the police can infer that instead of using your time to call 911, you made a decision to access or enable a firearm and use it. Depending on the cop and the crown prosecutor it's likely you will be charged. You have a little more leeway if you live in a rural area where police response times are excessive.
Is it fair or reasonable? Hell no, but most police agencies are rabidly anti-gun and will take every opportunity to confiscate them wherever and whenever they can, and successive governments (with the exception of Steven Harpers' last one ) have always prosecuted people who defend themselves with weapons.
Even non lethal alternatives such as tasers and pepper spray are considered prohibited weapons in Canada. If you use a can of bear spray on a bear, nothing happens. If your wife/daughter uses it to defend herself from a rapist, she'll be charged with possession of a prohibited weapon and use of that weapon.
The law states you are allowed to use "reasonable" force to defend yourself, another person, or your property, but the definition of reasonable is left up to the crown prosecutor.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will take my chances with the crown prosecutor and a jury of my peers thank you.

911 call response time is 30-45 minutes.

Both arguements are correct,key is "The law states you are allowed to use "reasonable" force to defend yourself, another person, or your property, but the definition of reasonable is left up to the crown prosecutor." like Cdnfireman says.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will take my chances with the crown prosecutor and a jury of my peers thank you.

911 call response time is 30-45 minutes.

Both arguements are correct,key is "The law states you are allowed to use "reasonable" force to defend yourself, another person, or your property, but the definition of reasonable is left up to th crown prosecutor." like Cdnfireman says.

Agreed. You're better off alive and in court than the alternative. One thing to note, if you ever find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having used deadly force and are being questioned by the cops, say NOTHING until you have a lawyer present. If they force you into making or writing a statement say nothing other than you felt threatened and in immediate danger. Don't elaborate past this, and keep repeating exactly the same thing until your lawyer is there. Any deviation from that statement or additional details from you about the events will be noted and used against you to confuse you and make you give more details before you lawyer up. It's unfortunate that the police as an institution can't be trusted not to investigate without bias, but they can't. Time and again you see senior police making statements against "vigilante" actions and taking the law into your own hands, and they and the crown prosecutors go after anyone that does with a vengeance.
If you talk to a street cop on a one-on-one basis, off the record they'll agree that some bad guys deserve what they get. But on the record they have to follow orders and consider you to have illegally used excessive force.

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
Other tips:
-Have a friend there with you. Preferably sitting in the vehicle with cellphone in hand and 911 pre-dialed.
-If you have a GoPro or dash camera. Have it rolling in the direction of the transaction.
-Ask for their drivers licence(take a photo)
-Take notes of their vehicle and licence plate.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe some of you from the Red Deer area will remember an incident around there a few years ago, I don't quite remember all the details so I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken. I believe it was a farmer/rancher in the area that caught someone in the act stealing one of his quads and fired a shot hitting the thief but not critically. I think the sticky point with the judge was the thief was heading out the driveway when he was shot so the owner was not in any danger at that moment. The owner was charged but I don't recall with what or any kind of sentence.

Hopefully one of you can clarify the details.

As much as I agree with it, it's unfortunate we can't quite follow King Ralph's philosophy of "Shoot, Shovel and Shut up"!

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a trailcams set up around me rural land. Always get pictures of people getting out of their vehicles and even gets the odd deer. Lol

If u have a spot you could activate the emergency button.

This happened about 10km away last week...........

Vermilion car scam leads to robbery

Edmonton,Alberta / 630 CHED - Edmonton Breaking News, Traffic, Weather and Sports Radio Station
Tyler Loutan
Posted: January 29, 2016 11:23 pm
| Last Updated: January 29, 2016 11:24 pm
Two men from Lloydminster are set to face a judge on Monday, after being accused of going to great lengths to rob a man of his wallet.

On Wednesday January 27th three men drove up to a man’s rural Vermilion home offering to sell their car.

As they were talking price with the homeowner, the sellers found out that the man was home alone. That’s when two of the sellers attacked the homeowner and took his wallet, fleeing the scene in the car they were offering to sell.

The victim, who suffered minor injuries, called the police at around 2:15PM. An hour and a half later, RCMP arrested the three suspects after they were spotted in Lloydminster.

Vermilion RCMP took custody of the three men from there. One man was released without charges.

20 year old Joshawa Ricard, and 29 year old Randy Bernard, both from Lloydminster, were charged with robbery. They are due to appear in Provincial Court in Vermilion on Monday. TL

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That may be your interpretation of our laws but in fact if you blow someone away in your house or on your property there's a high probability that you'll be charged with unsafe storage of a firearm, using a firearm in the commission of an offence as well as either manslaughter or second degree murder. Canadian firearms laws don't allow you to keep a gun at the ready in your house, it either has to be locked up or rendered inoperative by either a locking mechanism or by removing the bolt etc. If you discover an intruder and shoot him, the police can infer that instead of using your time to call 911, you made a decision to access or enable a firearm and use it. Depending on the cop and the crown prosecutor it's likely you will be charged. You have a little more leeway if you live in a rural area where police response times are excessive.
Is it fair or reasonable? Hell no, but most police agencies are rabidly anti-gun and will take every opportunity to confiscate them wherever and whenever they can, and successive governments (with the exception of Steven Harpers' last one ) have always prosecuted people who defend themselves with weapons.
Even non lethal alternatives such as tasers and pepper spray are considered prohibited weapons in Canada. If you use a can of bear spray on a bear, nothing happens. If your wife/daughter uses it to defend herself from a rapist, she'll be charged with possession of a prohibited weapon and use of that weapon.
The law states you are allowed to use "reasonable" force to defend yourself, another person, or your property, but the definition of reasonable is left up to the crown prosecutor..
Get a grip. You are confusing storage of firearms with firearms that are under care and control of a person authorized to posses the firearm. Remember the store owner Jim Keegstra he shot a robber in the back fleeing his store. Kill him and was charged and tried and found not guilty. Your sinicism seems to have you concocting elaborate senerio where the bad guy wins. How about Dorthy Jhodry she blamed 9 rounds in to old Earls back and said die you sonofabitch. She wasn't convicted either. Hm your paranoa seem serious you should talk to someone about that.

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow did this thread go off the rails !!
Sorry Door Man. I thought this thread was about dealing with a low life criminals that may be using Kijij for criminal intent. There is a variety of opinions on how one might deal with said criminal.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been lucky with kijiji idiots. Just jerk offs no thief's. I like the idea of the meeting place that Calgary has. When I bought my boat I went to the guys house looked at it made the deal and gave him a deposit. When I went to pick it up he had it at a buddies house close bye in a shop. I asked him why he moved it and he said just in case. I thought that was a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a grip. You are confusing storage of firearms with firearms that are under care and control of a person authorized to posses the firearm. Remember the store owner Jim Keegstra he shot a robber in the back fleeing his store. Kill him and was charged and tried and found not guilty. Your sinicism seems to have you concocting elaborate senerio where the bad guy wins. How about Dorthy Jhodry she blamed 9 rounds in to old Earls back and said die you sonofabitch. She wasn't convicted either. Hm your paranoa seem serious you should talk to someone about that.

Pretty sure I have a grip and know the laws.
You should fact check before you post, as you're pretty much wrong about everything.
Keegstra was a holocost denier from eckville ab. Kessler was the drug store owner who shot the robber.
He was charged and spent tens of thousands to his lawyers to get acquitted. I remember because I made a donation to his defence fund.
Dorothy joudrie was a rich Calgary socialite who shot her husband 6 times and claimed a battered wife defence and an autonomic state due to her alcoholism. She too was charged and was acquitted after paying lawyers lots of bucks. It was the fact she was rich and female that got her off.
Under the firearms act the only places you can legally have a loaded firearm on your possession are a firing range, or in a rural are where you are actively hunting.
If a situation happens where you kill an intruder on your property the police will determine how you came about having a loaded gun in your possession when you confronted the intruder. If they feel you had it ready to go beforehand , you're in trouble. They and the crown prosecutor view it as a premeditated act. If you stated you called for help, then loaded your gun and defended yourself, you're legally in a much better position.
Thats why I said to keep your mouth shut till your lawyer is there.
Its not paranoia, it's the facts. You should try using some sometime. Educate yourself before you run your mouth.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember because I made a donation to his defence fund.

I also donated to his defense fund. One of the scumbag that got shot had robbed him previously and was sent to jail for it...Kesler recognized him the second time back and thought he had come to kill him as he was not wearing a disguise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the Calgary shooting, two masked men, one armed with a handgun, entered Kesler's drug store on Nov. 8. It was the sixth reported holdup attempt at the pharmacy this year.

Police said one took about $150 from the register while the other took Kesler's wife, Mary, to the back of the store and demanded drugs.
Kesler, whose two daughters and a customer were also in the store, pulled out a pump-action shotgun and opened fire.
''I didn't invite these robbers to come into my store,'' Kesler's wife, Mary, told reporters. ''I work 12 hours a day and people come in and rob us. We are fed up with that.''

Kesler was charged with the second-degree murder of Timothy Smith, 26, who had been out of jail only 10 days after serving time on burglary and assault convictions.

The other suspect, Steven Fleming, 32, who was wounded in the head and shoulder, was out on bail on charges connected with a previous armed robbery at Kesler's store. New charges against him include robbery and unlawful use of a firearm.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Reaction score
Pretty sure I have a grip and know the laws.
You should fact check before you post, as you're pretty much wrong about everything.
Keegstra was a holocost denier from eckville ab. Kessler was the drug store owner who shot the robber.
He was charged and spent tens of thousands to his lawyers to get acquitted. I remember because I made a donation to his defence fund.
Dorothy joudrie was a rich Calgary socialite who shot her husband 6 times and claimed a battered wife defence and an autonomic state due to her alcoholism. She too was charged and was acquitted after paying lawyers lots of bucks. It was the fact she was rich and female that got her off.
Under the firearms act the only places you can legally have a loaded firearm on your possession are a firing range, or in a rural are where you are actively hunting.
If a situation happens where you kill an intruder on your property the police will determine how you came about having a loaded gun in your possession when you confronted the intruder. If they feel you had it ready to go beforehand , you're in trouble. They and the crown prosecutor view it as a premeditated act. If you stated you called for help, then loaded your gun and defended yourself, you're legally in a much better position.
Thats why I said to keep your mouth shut till your lawyer is there.
Its not paranoia, it's the facts. You should try using some sometime. Educate yourself before you run your mouth.

I'm no expert, but this is exactly the sentiment my PAL instructor told us about during my courses. You may, in the end, get away with it.... after thousands of dollars in lawyers and court appearances.

Top Bottom