Keihin carb troubles

elan300ss

Reaction score
Im having problems with the keihin carb on a yamaha 440 ss fanner,it seems to be starving for fuel and it will work when I cup my hand over the carb mouth,if I dont it bogs,Ive cleaned it more than once and there no choke cable attached, just the brass piece and spring that screws in the carb,is it because the choke is not hooked up? There is also a welsh plug on the carb top with an air screw with spring next to plug.What is under the plug? A ball valve maybe? Im thinking it may be the fuel pump not working properly too.Im stumped,any suggestions....

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely fuel pump related me thinks. Check your pulse line - disconnect fuel line to carb and pull the rope. Should have a stream of fuel spewin. If not spew'n rebuild fuel pump first then do again - if not pumpin, that pulse line may be the issue.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im having problems with the keihin carb on a yamaha 440 ss fanner,it seems to be starving for fuel and it will work when I cup my hand over the carb mouth,if I dont it bogs,Ive cleaned it more than once and there no choke cable attached, just the brass piece and spring that screws in the carb,is it because the choke is not hooked up? There is also a welsh plug on the carb top with an air screw with spring next to plug.What is under the plug? A ball valve maybe? Im thinking it may be the fuel pump not working properly too.Im stumped,any suggestions....
had the same sled u should have a enricher lever on the dash, that hooks onto the carbs if u are missing that it could be a isue. Had the same problem with my sled it turned out to be the fuel pump easy to fix or u have a plugged fuel filter and I think it's in the fuel tank and I would check that first it's easier

elan300ss

Reaction score
Now Im thinkin its the fuel pump or filter also and not the carb,when I pull it over with the fuel line off the carb it kinda dripples out and not squriting like it should, Im going too remove the fuel hookup that goes in the tank first,the sled has been sitting for a long time also,thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

Top Bottom