81 Yamaha ET250 carb trouble

yammer

Reaction score
I haven't dug into a carb for a looong time.....and I picked up an 81 Yamaha Enticer 250....with the Keihin carb marked 8G501. It was off when I purchased, and it is one with the fuel pump attached. Looking for opinions on this unit.....rebuild this one? .....look into a different, more efficient carb?

I do own this one, and the research I've done says that everyone has a different favourite.....so if this is still the decent choice then I could use some pointers on teardown, rebuild & settings.

THANK YOU anyone that replies.

------------------------------------------------------
98 YAMAHA SRX 700 MOUNTAIN
98 YAMAHA SRX 700
81 YAMAHA ENTICER 250
79 POLARIS TX 440
72 POLARIS MUSTANG 530

74 JEEP CJ5 - Spring Over & 35's - Tremclad Black! :cool:

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New CARB!!

VM34 Mikuni - use a new fuel pump - throw a UniFilter on it - premix 50:1 and off you go.

yammer

Reaction score
I suggested this to a snowmobile mechanic and he said they had trouble tuning it to work properly.....also had trouble with cables - binding, etc.

Maybe he just didn't take the time....don't know, but if you can give some details as to what I'll need to do the job that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one of those et 250 night mares . there was a few times I just wanted to burn it . I finally bought a brovo 250 carb and made an angled adapter plate pulled the oiler out and ran mixed gas . after all that never had a running problem till it developed a starting off bog , found the clutch was engageing too soon , put a 3/16 spacer between the clutch and spring ,problem fixed . the kids drove it for 2 years after all that . They actually wore the track off it . If you need a factory manual let me know I have one here.

yammer

Reaction score
Cool....thanks!

If you have PayPal I can give you some cash and postage for the manual. I'm a bit of a manual nerd....not sure why, but it sometimes comes in handy. I found a Bravo carb on eBay, and asked the guy if it'll fit my '81 250.....I think I'll just buy it, because it's a float carb.

Shitty thing is that I'll have to wait for shipping....maybe I'll try to find something locally.....my daughter is climbing the walls waiting to drive this little guy.

Thanks.

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a look for the manual I cant seem to find it at this time . If you have any questions I may be able to give a hand You can email me at ms660@hotmail.com or call rick @ 250-751-0316 . If I find the manual I will let you know .

Top Bottom