Kakwa snow reports

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if anyone knows yet but they have shut down almost the whole kakwa area from sledding now. caribou closure. New sign at the highway.

Steve Slade

Reaction score
Any idea on when groming will begin its gotta be go time after this dump today. We need a Kakwa thread started like valemount and Revy

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think it's the whole Kakwa area that would be well talked about by now

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the pg side. not the whole area but i would say by looking at the map they posted a good 60 to 70%

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
The government is probably worried that the snowmobiles will disturb the wolves that are killing off the caribou. We were just into the park and saw two fox, martin tracks and lots of wolf track. The trapper should have a good year. Lots of wolves on both sides of the Fraser this year. I bet the government is concerned about wolves are using snowmobile trails that water skip across the Fraser River. It is pretty impressive how the caribou populations are crashing now that the government is protecting the wolves from disturbance by snowmobilers.

HCR800<3

Reaction score
We just had our AGM for the Swan City Snowmobile Club and nothing was mentioned from SRD, BC Parks or the RCMP that Kakwa was closed anywhere new. Pretty sure we would get news like that considering a lot of people were granted their sled permits this year. There is always speculation that it might happen, and I am almost positive BC Parks wouldn't miss tell our club that it had happened, considering the club has a member on board who works for BC Parks.

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
We just had our AGM for the Swan City Snowmobile Club and nothing was mentioned from SRD, BC Parks or the RCMP that Kakwa was closed anywhere new. Pretty sure we would get news like that considering a lot of people were granted their sled permits this year. There is always speculation that it might happen, and I am almost positive BC Parks wouldn't miss tell our club that it had happened, considering the club has a member on board who works for BC Parks.

We just had our regular PG Club meeting.
No one from BC Parks ever comes to our meetings.
Come to think of it, BC Parks attends about as much as the rest of the thousands of snowmobilers around PG.
So far the PG club has 35 memberships sold this year.
Pretty low considering what is at stake. The Government was able to get away with closing 95% of the BC mountains in our area, mostly due to low club membership. I know the club tried to fight off the BS about caribou/snowmobiles/wolves, but once the government realized now weak we were, they moved in for the kill.
The BC government is so confident that snowmobilers in our area will never be a force to recon with, that they are considering closing down more of our riding areas.
The federal government is now involved in Caribou recovery in BC, so being from eastern Canada where snowmobile memberships are huge, they are being cautious so far. They can't believe that there is no backlash if snowmobile areas are closed on a whim. It won't be long though before the Feds realize they have nothing to fear from snowmobilers in BC, and send snowmobilers packing with their tails between their legs.

I'm pretty sure the post about caribou and Kakwa was just a joke, and it is just a likely the poster doesn't work to keep any areas open either.

Attachments

• IMG_1793 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_1793 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 355

HCR800<3

Reaction score
Well, maybe get your club in contact with ours? Maybe we can do something to fight together since most of our riding is done in BC. Just a thought. I don't know much about how clubs work but I know our club does a lot of work and has many many members and volunteers.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know my riding partners And i u would join the pg club to be able to be involved with your awesome cabin

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the sign is on the pg side and is posted at the walker creek road off hwy 16. right at the Telus CO building where you turn off the hwy. The sign looked pretty new to me. Just a FYI of what I saw not trying to stir up anything as per yamadoopolcat!!!

Steve Slade

Reaction score
Doesn't look like much new snow on way either. Guess I'll have to keep ditch banging for another week at least

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
the sign is on the pg side and is posted at the walker creek road off hwy 16. right at the Telus CO building where you turn off the hwy. The sign looked pretty new to me. Just a FYI of what I saw not trying to stir up anything as per yamadoopolcat!!!

All that sign says is you can run the roads, and that is it. Stay on the road to Kakwa and you are in compliance.
Do any other exploring in this awesome part of BC that we lost for lack of members, and the government helicopter guy will run every caribou in the area to death trying to catch you.

The PGSC cabin on the BC side of the park is truely the only way we can ride Kakwa. The PGSC is in danger of losing the cabin as the MoE types are creating trouble for us in our efforts to retain a lease on the spot. The original 10 year agreement was with BCFS and has expired. The cabin is very unique and the target of all sorts of people that contributed nothing and don't intend to either. The MoE knows that if the cabin is gone, or otherwise unavailable, that this would put an end to anyone from BC riding in Kakwa, for good.

Attachments

• IMG_0120 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_0120 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 238

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
Hurtin a little, still on liquid diet. Sure saves on toilet paper. Kakwa next weekend. I should be able to wear a helmet by then.

Top Bottom