Kakwa snow report

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does anyone have directions to get to the staging area ? id be coming from Edmonton

IMHO you would have a more enjoyable time if you sledded with someone who was familiar with the area. The parking lot is about 2hr south of GP depending on road conditions and traffic.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cory, to enjoy Kakwa to its fullest, its best to have someone who knows the area. Its huge and a blast. If you find someone to ride with that knows the area, you will fall in love with the place. So much area to ride with everything!

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cory, to enjoy Kakwa to its fullest, its best to have someone who knows the area. Its huge and a blast. If you find someone to ride with that knows the area, you will fall in love with the place. So much area to ride with everything!

Absolutely. If you have ever rode Renshaw. Like back to Spirit lake and farther your actually riding the backside of kkakwa. Only it's a 50 km ride in haha. I don't follow anymore but I will say it's the definition of backcountry.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't go to the Kakwa area without someone showing you around.
Area is way to big and to many areas .
You can stumble around and put on 120 kms and not see much .

Last edited:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't go to the Kakwa area without someone showing around.
Area is way to big and to many areas .
You can stumble around and put on 120 kms and not see much .

Oh you would see lots but the objective is to see the parking lot twice and that is the challenge out there.

Flyer

Reaction score
Kakwa is on my list for this winter. Are there any local riders who would be willing to have a couple guys tag along? Somewhere between beginner and intermediate skill. 50 YO. Well able to unstuck myself. Conservative climber. Avalanche trained.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to jump on there ditch banger, run up to the kakwa weather station and charge the battery's in that weather predictor�� Snowing pretty good in Wembley right now. Hope the alpine gets another blast��

jbrow

Reaction score
Anyone know if Buchanan Creek is broke yet?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Braaap

Reaction score
Was up Kakwa Dec 28 - Jan 1. Not familiar with all the names of the areas but the trail was in pretty good condition. Groomer has been to the cabin. River was very good and smooth with little to no open spots. Took the loop where you take the river to Celcil and then back up the a creek toward Broadview and back to the cabin on Kakwa lake (not sure if thats Buchanan Creek). Once up around Broadview Lake(thinks thats the name) snow was 3-4' sugary snow with no real base. Decent size slide looked to be couple days old as soon as you come up from Cecil lake. Snowed around 6'' in camp I would say while we were there. Needs more snow but always a good time up there!

jbrow

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have been holding out for more snow out there. Planning on making a trip in there in a week or so.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Kakwa today. It was a cold ride. Sun peeked out after lunch. Trail was groomed up nice. Rode babett. Definitely need more snow. Decent in the trees but up high is skinny. 1 nat occurring slide on south facing slope. Rode is graded to the top of Stetson. Your on your own from there. Base is starting to set up.

Cheers

jbrow

Reaction score
Anyone heading out to Kakwa tomorrow? I'm looking for a riding partner or a group to tag along with.

jbrow

Reaction score
Sounds good. If I'm not working we will have to meet up.

Steve Slade

Reaction score
Heading out Sunday if u wanna wait. I also need to find a riding partner seems some people think the Super Bowl is more important than sledding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom