Just a heads up for people planning to go to SIx Lakes(Richardson Backcountry)

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got news yesterday the Firebag River bridge has been washed out due to the water levels. 7 people had to be flown out of the six lakes area because the bridge washed out while they were camping up there. Odds are the bridge won't be repaired for awhile with all the other repairs need to be done around the city due to the flooding.

Last edited:

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the 7 people stuck up there were fish & wildlife i'm sure they rounded everyone up and took good care of them.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most Likely

Where'd you get the news from? JW as per finding a source to get updates on the bridge repairs from. Supposed to be going up first weekend of July.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard about it from a friend yesterday and then it was on the local radio this morning. When I heard about it yesterday I was Hoping it was just a bad rumour.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? They closed it for that?
Fill the hole with gravel and if they want to throw a piece of rig matting over the spot as well and get everyone out.
I don't see the big deal unless it got worse since those pics were taken or there is more structural issues.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing its because it on the north side with no way to get a dozer or equipment across if it was on the south side it would probably fixed by now.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Globals photos make the wash out look a lot worse/sketchy than the sun's. Looks like globals is more reflective of current conditions (taken at a later time).. thats a lil sketchy for taking 4x4 or sxs with tub in tow :/ Richardson river bridge after the fires was in similar poor state, but if they throw down some more of those railing beams shouldnt be much of a problem I wouldn't say. I forsee us not cancelling our trip :) phewf Unless like lbz said more structural damage. But kinda doubt it, water shouldnt bother it if all the trees in the river after the fire didnt haha

Thanks Fallen! Appreciate being aware of what we're up against (potentially).

Last edited:

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No worries. Been camping this area since I was 9 years old (21 years) I always try and stay on top of what's going on up there.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha I hear ya, I'm on your heels for the same time frame. Around 15yr ish for me now. Little piece of heaven it is ;)

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the 2 temporary bridges that were put in last night also got washed out today. The land is washed out more than 20 from the bridge. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371521003.807586.jpg

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There has to be a way, that they can free those trees up. From the bridge supports??? Until then, they will only act as a dam and keep washing out the banks.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I totally agree with you, those trees are a big part of the problem.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OMG ! :'( NOooOOOoo this blows.

If the choppers can bring lumber etc in.. why can't the choppers haul some of those trees out?? Put some guys in a boat to help with the rigging if you gotta geez louise.. They plan to replace that bridge sometime anyway so they probably on one hand dont really care what happens to it right now :/ Frig.. way to ruin the start of my summer holidays mother nature :mad::rant::rant:

75K5

Reaction score
I'm almost thinking a guy could fasten a rope at each end of the bridge and barge the quads across with a raft. Once you got in line with the last point on the North side of the bridge you could probably pole over the rest of the way and fasten it to the North side. The only problem would be getting back home as some ***hole would probably toss the rope you left for getting back and you can't walk the bridge to the far shore. I guess you could put in a ways upstream to cross over. You would have the whole country to yourself. I would do it with some guys but I have a family and the wife's not up for that kind of adventure.

Rage

Reaction score
Hi guys - I went to the bridge this weekend. The temp repair on the close side is still there and marginally passable. I actually drove my RZR over it and across the bridge to the far side washout. Note - the 64" RZR barely fits with tires riding over the edge, but with spotters it wasn't that big a deal. The far side is washed out pretty bad, probably 25' across. I've been thinking about a solution since we were there, it's one of those things that peaks my interests. Biggest problem is getting a machine across for use a winch, skidder etc. as there are no trees close enough to set up a high line. The river is considerably lower then the pictures I've seen in the news. The shorline landings are available again. Does anyone know the depth of the river here? The highside of the bridge appears quite shallow, but I can't be sure. I'd be interested in setting up a trip next weekend or soon, with the proposal of float/winching a 4x4 ATV (I have one) to the other side, chop down a couple suitable trees and skid them to the bridge, a second machine on the bridge to winch them over the gap. Couple/few old school cowboys and I submit we could have this area open in a day.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm working for 7 days now so I wont be of much help in your efforts, sorry :(
Some thoughts tho..
- It's got some current to it for floating across, and not much of a take off and landing spot so may want to be careful in that idea..
- would it be possible to use a boat to get across instead? chainsaw & some guys to move the trees? Or one of those lewis-winches maybe..
- The telephone pole bridge that was built.. is it damaged? still there? washed away? Wondering if it could be re-used by either winching up longer trees and lashing this bridge on top of it or by re-attaching it to the bridge, and then where it finds the bank, digging out the dirt / build a platform & ramp to get back up high?

Just some thoughts I been having. Hope the gov't gets in there sooner than later to fix it, but not real hopeful on that.

Top Bottom