Jetting matter if you mix your fuel?

Reaction score
I have a 2001 RMK 800 and its been suffering overheating problems severely. After fixing and damn near everything 3 times and changing the jetting repeatedly it still ran too lean. Started at 580 which I though was way to high and have now dropped all the way to 420 but now it has absolutely no power and sounds groggy. Would mixing fuel allow me to not have to worry about what my jetting as long as I got the mixture right?

Please help I am already 10 grand into reapairs and getting tired of having to keep doing major fixes

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are better off to put an attac fuel compensater on it and if jetting is your proiblem that will fix it,Dont go with variflow,attac is a no tinker system that works awsome,I had it on my polaris as well as my buddy and no problems! But make sure thats your problem,mixing fuel wont work!

darkday

Reaction score
mixing fuel is not a cure for a poor running sled. what elevation are u riding at? is there a air lock in the cooling system? what have u done three times and spent 10 grand on?
I run 360 mag 350 pto for around 3-6000 feet. 400's would be about right for around edmonton. you need to find out why you are overheating/running lean. need more info.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mixing fuel is not a cure for a poor running sled. what elevation are u riding at? is there a air lock in the cooling system? what have u done three times and spent 10 grand on?
I run 360 mag 350 pto for around 3-6000 feet. 400's would be about right for around edmonton. you need to find out why you are overheating/running lean. need more info.

I agree, something else is wrong like your case leaking or mabye something simple, but I don't belive its your jetting or the fuel.

f650

Reaction score
i have a 2001 800 rmk runs great i run 420 430 jets a 7000 feet check your reeds and check to make sure the boost bottle does not have a hole in it if the rubber boot the carbs mount onto have a hole it will run crappy i also premix my fuel i still use the oil injection only to supply the bearings with a little oil adjust linkage ive had sled since new no issues

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 RMK 800 and its been suffering overheating problems severely. After fixing and damn near everything 3 times and changing the jetting repeatedly it still ran too lean. Started at 580 which I though was way to high and have now dropped all the way to 420 but now it has absolutely no power and sounds groggy. Would mixing fuel allow me to not have to worry about what my jetting as long as I got the mixture right?

Please help I am already 10 grand into reapairs and getting tired of having to keep doing major fixes

First off you need to explain what you mean by overheating, what you are using to make this diagnosis, and by mixing are you talking race gas, or oil?

The way i read your post is you are having cooling system issues and trying to fix it by re-jetting?

Reaction score
I began by replacing the entire top end of the engine and all wiring and the exghaust system since none of that was present when I bought it. After that I had to replace pistons twice after burning a hole straight through them after 5 minutes of idle. Have also repaired the cooling system since the fan for the water was shredded. I had a temp gauge for judging overheating but it got fried after the first time I melted the pistons.

Reaction score
Also it is both jetting and and overheating problem. The engine runs too lean and gets extremely hot and thats when it starts eating pistons and theres nothing helping to cut down on the heat being created.

darkday

Reaction score
If you are burning holes in your piston at idle it's not a main jet problem. main jet controls fuel from 3/4 to wide open throttle. sounds like a air leak, maybe crank seals. check your pilot jets and raise your needles, drop the clip. verify the cooling system is circulating after your "fan for the water was shredded" issue. do you mean water pump impellor?
not to be a jerk but do you think after 10g's on a old sled you should maybe take it to a good mechanic? sounds like you have multiple issues.

Reaction score
I have been taking it to polaris to have all the issues dealt with but they dont seem to be too much help and ya I meant the impellor in the water pump.

darkday

Reaction score
well any progress with gettin sled running reliably? I never said polaris, i said a good mechanic. did u verify the timing etc. is the top end and wiring you replaced the right stuff? cylinders from same year sled etc?

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you may have a broken or worn oil pump shaft?? my machine was running lean and then rich at different times because the oil pump lever was worn.

Top Bottom