January snow conditions

CanAm Keith

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are heading to McBride this Thursday. Any suggestions on best place to go? First trip for either of us to McBride - we usually hit Revvy.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and a buddy are heading to McBride this Thursday. Any suggestions on best place to go? First trip for either of us to McBride - we usually hit Revvy.
I'm heading up there this Friday. will be riding Sat. & Sun. May see you out there.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm heading up there this Friday. will be riding Sat. & Sun. May see you out there.
Looks like you're going to luck out witht the weaher too! Its saying -21 for friday and -7 for saturday....oh and im jealous just saying

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like you're going to luck out witht the weaher too! Its saying -21 for friday and -7 for saturday....oh and im jealous just saying

hey you've already been out twice. This is gonna be my first ride of the season

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just as a warning. If your dropping into butterfly, the trail has 4 very large bumps on it and sent 3 nytro's into the trees lol. Luckily the proclimb is also the pro-descent lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326685171.046045.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326685171.046045.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 464
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326685197.370625.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326685197.370625.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 453
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326685213.952319.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326685213.952319.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 458

Cartel

Reaction score
Just wondering where Butterfly is... I was out there this weekend and was hoping to run into someone out there and just ask around, but we only saw two guys there on Sunday and they were just touring around and not the type, that I would expect, to know where it is.... Hope this is not some guarded secret that people don't want to put on the net.

Thanks!

(I'll post up some pic's from the weekend later tonight!!)

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering where Butterfly is... I was out there this weekend and was hoping to run into someone out there and just ask around, but we only saw two guys there on Sunday and they were just touring around and not the type, that I would expect, to know where it is.... Hope this is not some guarded secret that people don't want to put on the net.

Thanks!

(I'll post up some pic's from the weekend later tonight!!)

We were out there Sunday also, but we were the first ones up. Butterfly isn't a secret area, but the trail in is pretty rough right now. I was thinking on the drive home I should have shoveled those bumps down.

If I was still in McBride I'd show you the way in. It's a nice area to ride since not many people go down there and there's usually good snow to ride.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
that drop through the trees can be pretty gnarly. keeps a lot of people out of that bowl :)

i useally like to drop right of the sidehill to exit (faceing into the butterfly) and exit that way. fun climb to top things off.

Cartel

Reaction score
We were out there Sunday also, but we were the first ones up. Butterfly isn't a secret area, but the trail in is pretty rough right now. I was thinking on the drive home I should have shoveled those bumps down.

If I was still in McBride I'd show you the way in. It's a nice area to ride since not many people go down there and there's usually good snow to ride.

Is it off to the left from the main trail (Mountain slope on you right is climbing on the way in?) which goes through some cut blocks and and area of dead trees (I assume to be from the Pine Beetle)??

If so, I ended going down that way a ways and found some great riding in the trees....

Hope you guys know what the heck I'm talking about!!

Did you see a Blue Nitro & a Red REV by any chance?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it off to the left from the main trail (Mountain slope on you right is climbing on the way in?) which goes through some cut blocks and and area of dead trees (I assume to be from the Pine Beetle)??

If so, I ended going down that way a ways and found some great riding in the trees....

Hope you guys know what the heck I'm talking about!!

Did you see a Blue Nitro & a Red REV by any chance?

I know where you mean but that's not it

You go left of the cabin (when facing the door) down the first bowl straight to the other side. there are two ways in, either ride to lower lake and climb the ridge or upper lake and climb the ridge.

Lower lake (easier way in) is where the narrow trail is and upper lake you have you side hill down then drop into butterfly.

The only guy we saw a guy riding a black XP with an orange coat asking if we saw a friend his riding around the area. Pretty quiet back there other than that :)

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a cold -18 all day here and a bit of sun poking through. skiff of snow in town, have no idea what the conditions up top are as I have been in Alberta for a week and still on the mend from my slip on the ice. going on 3 weeks and have not touched the sled.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rode renshaw for part of the day on sunday. The trail is like a highway. Even on the way down it was just as good. I think the user numbers were pretty low on sunday and with the cold temps that trail should be 100%. Snow up top was descent. Was pretty wind blow in the open but get into the sheltered areas and it was around 2' of fresh. Lots of untracked stuff left.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a cold -25 this am and the sun is out but not going to warm up to much today. hope to get out this weekend and try the shoulder out if it warms up.

Cartel

Reaction score
I know where you mean but that's not it

You go left of the cabin (when facing the door) down the first bowl straight to the other side. there are two ways in, either ride to lower lake and climb the ridge or upper lake and climb the ridge.

Lower lake (easier way in) is where the narrow trail is and upper lake you have you side hill down then drop into butterfly.

The only guy we saw a guy riding a black XP with an orange coat asking if we saw a friend his riding around the area. Pretty quiet back there other than that :)

Okay I have a general idea where that is, I'll see where those track lead me to next time I am out that way!

Thanks!!

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay I have a general idea where that is, I'll see where those track lead me to next time I am out that way!

Thanks!!

If you end up in a runaway, down a steep ass hill, dodging big trees on the way down, with your ass eating your bibs; you're on the right trail.:beer:

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That way down makes for a sketchy yet very adrenaline rushing way into butterfly. If you go farther to the left on that picture it actually opens up pretty good. But don't choose the wrong spot because there are cliffs that you don't see until its too late.

Live To Ride Ride To Live

Top Bottom