Its time for another 250F

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Im selling my KTM to get a another bike. Im thinking about the green team. Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of the years of the KX250F? I know with the honda's only the 2009-present ones are good. The ktm's have not realy made any changes from 2008-2010. I am staying away from the yamaha's and suzukis.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda's are still plagued with soft intake valves and have to be shimmed a lot, but they are supposed to be one powerful bike. Wish I knew someone with one to try.

I have an 08 kx and like it. Lots of power and is very reliable. I have 160 hours on and starts one kick cold and by hand when hot (spent time tuning it to perfect). Rode an 09 which is the new style, and its nicer yet. feels very light in the air.

KTM made a huge change with their rear suspension set up by finally using a linkage, all they need to do it now is to ditch WP and go to a Japanese product.

And I agree with you with the yami and Suzuki. I've ridden YZ's and they're slow, but have the best quality to them. I've owned a 2007 RMZ and that is THE slowest bike I've ridden.

dglionna

Reaction score
Well Im selling my KTM to get a another bike. Im thinking about the green team. Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of the years of the KX250F? I know with the honda's only the 2009-present ones are good. The ktm's have not realy made any changes from 2008-2010. I am staying away from the yamaha's and suzukis.

ive road the new hondas. dont care much for them seem heavy and ruff to ride the kawasakis arnt bad but done seem to have as much jam as the others. so i bough 2008 yamaha and is by far the best bike ive road great throttle response and really nice ride on track and the sand dumes great for cornering to.

dglionna

Reaction score
Honda's are still plagued with soft intake valves and have to be shimmed a lot, but they are supposed to be one powerful bike. Wish I knew someone with one to try.

I have an 08 kx and like it. Lots of power and is very reliable. I have 160 hours on and starts one kick cold and by hand when hot (spent time tuning it to perfect). Rode an 09 which is the new style, and its nicer yet. feels very light in the air.

KTM made a huge change with their rear suspension set up by finally using a linkage, all they need to do it now is to ditch WP and go to a Japanese product.

And I agree with you with the yami and Suzuki. I've ridden YZ's and they're slow, but have the best quality to them. I've owned a 2007 RMZ and that is THE slowest bike I've ridden.

i agree with u on the yamaha they maybie get 100 to 105 km/hr out of them but they get up there alot faster it seems like to the other bikes wich thats what u want for the track.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with u on the yamaha they maybie get 100 to 105 km/hr out of them but they get up there alot faster it seems like to the other bikes wich thats what u want for the track.

Thats not really what I was getting at. You can gear any bike to go fast. I only ride tracks, and on a track you want acceleration over top speed. I'm not saying yamaha's are literally slow, just in a comparasion to other bikes in the same circumstances I feel they aren't that good and remember that's my opinion. You'll get yamaha guys who will dispute this and that's fine. I'm not biased to brands but I think the kawi is the better bike, but I also haven't ridden a honda and they get good reviews every year in motocross magazines (if they can be trusted)

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats not really what I was getting at. You can gear any bike to go fast. I only ride tracks, and on a track you want acceleration over top speed. I'm not saying yamaha's are literally slow, just in a comparison to other bikes in the same circumstances I feel they aren't that good and remember that's my opinion. You'll get yamaha guys who will dispute this and that's fine. I'm not biased to brands but I think the kawi is the better bike, but I also haven't ridden a honda and they get good reviews every year in motocross magazines (if they can be trusted)

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could you tell me the differnces between the 2008 and 2009 kx250f? Im thinking of going the to the kawi for shaow!

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They came out with a new chassis/plastics and shaved 9 pounds off the '08, and came out with a new motor. Changes being in the transmission, ignition, and top end with a stronger piston and higher compression. They make better power with it and rides better.

If your going brand new the 2011 KX might change the motocross world in the way of suspension. One fork is rebound and the other is compression resulting in huge adjustability and performance now that they're independent. And it's a beautiful bike too.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They came out with a new chassis/plastics and shaved 9 pounds off the '08, and came out with a new motor. Changes being in the transmission, ignition, and top end with a stronger piston and higher compression. They make better power with it and rides better.

If your going brand new the 2011 KX might change the motocross world in the way of suspension. One fork is rebound and the other is compression resulting in huge adjustability and performance now that they're independent. And it's a beautiful bike too.

im too poor for a 2011 :d

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Kx250F has been a great bike ever since 06. each year it had been 1st or second in the 250 shootout. i love both my 06 and 09. they both rip and have amazing power in every way you look. solid engines, even tho the 09 was a new engine and said to be more bullet proof, i say the 06-08 engine was still proven to be a amazing machine launching you were you need to go. join the green team. i have riden everything else besides the new 2011's and i have always loved the kawi!

I'm still selling the 06. you would love it. mint and a rocket on wheels

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2009 KX250f specs

Read the second post with all the 2009 changes.

Overall I will comment on a few.

The engine response is great, although some jetting needs to be done for Alberta riding.

The reduced oil volume is a joke. If you get an '09 don't go with the manuals recommended volume. 1.3 is the total volume. The clutches have reportedly been wearing out faster due to the lesser amount. Go with the 1.5L

Honestly how much weight are we saving with .2L of oil

The fork offset is better than previous models but the bike is very comfortable with 22mm offset triple clamps.

this link goes into further detail on the differences from '08 to '09.

There are many minor changes that are very significant and some are only found in the '09 and into the 2010's

I love my '09, its surprising how strong the 250 is. I wouldn't mind dropping a 290 kit into it though, I just need to confirm the reliability of the kits.

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just took the piston outa my 06 kawi 250F, the bike was hammered on as a demo track bike. the top end look like it had never seen anything replaced!! but in solid condition.. suspension is super stiff, loves to be in the air. much different from a trail ready KTM. It was burnin blue so I figured it was time to open er up. Kawasaks are known for being LOUD! SHOWA F&R suspension is bomb proof, good choice.

Top Bottom