Is there a built in timer.................?

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
..........to make the engine go boom?? Just turn 5000kms and dooin what I normally doo....the ol' E-Tec burbles and starts blowing a big cloud of sweet smellin smoke......I make a b-line back to the main trail and make it back to staging......by then engine was not happy......but did not overheat!! Coolant level had dropped outa sight in the bottle and she now is at the dealer waitin for repair.......hmmmmm...thought the E-Tec was gonna go abit longer than the norm........

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might just be a gasket? I have no experience with the etec, but have had a base gasket go and do much the same as you experienced. I hope it's something simple as that.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
..........to make the engine go boom?? Just turn 5000kms and dooin what I normally doo....the ol' E-Tec burbles and starts blowing a big cloud of sweet smellin smoke......I make a b-line back to the main trail and make it back to staging......by then engine was not happy......but did not overheat!! Coolant level had dropped outa sight in the bottle and she now is at the dealer waitin for repair.......hmmmmm...thought the E-Tec was gonna go abit longer than the norm........

Just because its an etec does not mean it will go forever...... its still a rotax and uses isoflex grease in the pto and mag bearings for lube. The maintenance is still required on these bearings. Alot of people do not know about this item and most get lucky or either sell them before they get high mileage.....
I agree with Teeroy about a base gasket though.....or an o-ring in the head leaking coolant. Hopefully the coolant did not get inside the engine.....

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just because its an etec does not mean it will go forever...... its still a rotax and uses isoflex grease in the pto and mag bearings for lube. The maintenance is still required on these bearings. Alot of people do not know about this item and most get lucky or either sell them before they get high mileage.....
I agree with Teeroy about a base gasket though.....or an o-ring in the head leaking coolant. Hopefully the coolant did not get inside the engine.....

Was just hopin they had the 800r figured out by now.....I put on alot of Ks in a year......oh well thank goodness for warranty...made sure i got 3 years!!!

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet smelling exhaust.....it definately got into the engine.

Oh it got in the engine alrite....should of seen the smoke/steam........dealer has phoned....crankcase full of antifreeze and no overheat codes!! New engine ordered and covered under warranty.....

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ur lucky cause those guys at rtr woulda took it to ya hard if u didnt have warrenty,,i bet 3500..

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
. its still a rotax and uses isoflex grease in the pto and mag bearings for lube. The maintenance is still required on these bearings. Alot of people do not know about this item and most get lucky or either sell them before they get high mileage.....
Is this grease a BRP parts counter lube or available anywhere? I better look at that and repack. Glad your engine is on warranty. Too many companies try to get out of it.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
. its still a rotax and uses isoflex grease in the pto and mag bearings for lube. The maintenance is still required on these bearings. Alot of people do not know about this item and most get lucky or either sell them before they get high mileage.....
Is this grease a BRP parts counter lube or available anywhere? I better look at that and repack. Glad your engine is on warranty. Too many companies try to get out of it.

Isoflex grease is a common stocked item at the stealer.....

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Oh it got in the engine alrite....should of seen the smoke/steam........dealer has phoned....crankcase full of antifreeze and no overheat codes!! New engine ordered and covered under warranty.....

Good deal..... I ride 4000 km's per year usually so maintenance is important as I cannot afford to buy new every year anymore.... otherwise it would be 'ride it like ya stole it' and sell it as like new the next year......lol

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ur lucky cause those guys at rtr woulda took it to ya hard if u didnt have warrenty,,i bet 3500..

Actually close to 4k with taxes installed..........Warranty is good here and I have it till march 2014.......but if I get fawked around....Geesh...I bought a new sled to get away from all this....

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 12 went last year at 5000Km too. Chunk of the piston dome broke off. Would't count on getting anymore than 5000Km out of a 800 etec

Top Bottom