Is honesty really the best policy?

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows of where to find the list of products we can list the negatives about, and which ones will not be allowed:nono:.

I hate to rock the boat, so any help would be appreciated.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honesty, I think, is always the best policy. My father always said that if you make the truth the default answer (or always take the higher moral ground) then you will be on the right side of history. Saw him make decisions that were financially wrong just to be be morally right. Not sure if this is the answer you were looking for but it is my view on the title to this thread.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows of where to find the list of products we can list the negatives about, and which ones will not be allowed:nono:.

I guess it depends on whether the review is based on personal experiences with a product, or based upon hearsay about said product, I would also hope the poster would let the retailer, manufacturer, etc. have the chance to right the wrong before slamming their reputation.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I don't think you will have someone admit there is a list. It might be more about the mod's feelings....if you get my drift!

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think you will have someone admit there is a list. It might be more about the mod's feelings....if you get my drift!

Ya, I agree. It's too bad really, and really tough to have honest conversation when we allow 'feelings' to control things.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When getting into the negatives of a product it rarely becomes a productive conversation.. Manufactures build for the masses and it's typically not a custom build for an individual.. What i like about a product - you may not based on style or application..

Focus on the positives and identify a negative and how it effects your personally should be fine.. I don't see the benefit in publicly bashing anyone..

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the posts being deleted is absolute BS. Im not saying anything bad about any particular manufacturer, but bottom line is alot of these products cost ALOT of money. So I think all feedback good and bad should be posted so that customers can make informed decisions.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the posts being deleted is absolute BS. Im not saying anything bad about any particular manufacturer, but bottom line is alot of these products cost ALOT of money. So I think all feedback good and bad should be posted so that customers can make informed decisions.

you mean like starting a thread looking for the "bad" on a product before you buy?. good luck eh?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you mean like starting a thread looking for the "bad" on a product before you buy?. good luck eh?

If there is bad to hear about a product.....then hell yes. How else are you supposed to find out about it? Spend 7k and hope for the best?

How many Silber turbo customers out there wished there had been a little more honest feedback out there before buying one of those POS

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is bad to hear about a product.....then hell yes. How else are you supposed to find out about it? Spend 7k and hope for the best?

How many Silber turbo customers out there wished there had been a little more honest feedback out there before buying one of those POS

im one of them

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score

Not sure how to take that so i will give an honest answer...

General "brand" bashing is usually taken in good fun I hate Polaris, chev, ford, Dewalt, Pepsi....yada yada yada but when it is personal attack to a certain dealer, franchise, vendor, supplier trying to hurt to turn away business whether it is a product or service they provide is malicious. There is always 3 sides to every story. If you are legitimately taken on a product or service you can talk to manager or owner and try to get it resolved if it is clearly and products or vendors fault it is usually fixed pretty quick if it is something the consumer missed used it is usually pointed out and they send you packing. Can also write a letter stating your problems and how you would like it rectified and give a date when like to accomplished by or you will have to peruse legal action and deliver to the manager. If you product or service is not corrected go to small claims court you can sue for up to $25,000 and it only costs like $100 for under $10,000 or $200 for over 10G not 100% sure on prices but I don't think far off. And a day off work yes a day they are usually resolved before a trial or pretty quick into it, it's not the OJ Simpson trial it will be quick....sorry kinda rambling on

Sorry if you looking for negative reviews on products or services it's called Google Google you can look them up and rant and rave all you want but we will not tolerate them on Snow and Mud and they will be moderated/deleted....we are not perfect and some have slipped through over the years but we try our best

Not sure if I answered or just rocked the boat more

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

isn't that why these forums were started anyhow... real world use???? so in the end were just a banter site... relatively male and we can't post smut pictures... yawn!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isn't that why these forums were started anyhow... real world use???? so in the end were just a banter site... relatively male and we can't post smut pictures... yawn!

Frick.....exactly.

Im gonna come up with some garbage sled product. This would be the perfect place to market it. ONLY positive reviews allowed! Just give them their 30 bucks a year or whatever it is to be a supporting vendor and youre good to go.

Anybody want to buy a bottle of deaners wonderful snowmobile solution? Guaranteed to solve all of your sledding problems.

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that personal names mentioned in a negative/rant review probably shouldnt be allowed due to the nature of the three sides to stories but as a sled forum, we should be able to give review on products, isnt the whole idea of forums information sharing both good and bad ? removing them negates the purpose of being on a forum, we are the ones with the information and experiences that create the forum community not the owners per say. Think back to Snowest and its decline into over-moderated crap :rolleyes: Ive seen several positive reviews and it sticks in mind when buying products. Its just as valuable to avoid sh*t products and save the stress and $$$$.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
If we can get MAXWELL to endorse it we'll be rich!!!
Frick.....exactly.

Im gonna come up with some garbage sled product. This would be the perfect place to market it. ONLY positive reviews allowed! Just give them their 30 bucks a year or whatever it is to be a supporting vendor and youre good to go.

Anybody want to buy a bottle of deaners wonderful snowmobile solution? Guaranteed to solve all of your sledding problems.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that personal names mentioned in a negative/rant review probably shouldnt be allowed due to the nature of the three sides to stories but as a sled forum, we should be able to give review on products, isnt the whole idea of forums information sharing both good and bad ? removing them negates the purpose of being on a forum, we are the ones with the information and experiences that create the forum community not the owners per say. Think back to Snowest and its decline into over-moderated crap :rolleyes: Ive seen several positive reviews and it sticks in mind when buying products. Its just as valuable to avoid sh*t products and save the stress and $$$$.

Agree but some times you end up with some crazy reviews and claims, like Mountain Max's riding all day for $10 in gas and 1998 2500 dodge cummins hauling 25000lbs from Victoria to gp on a single tank. At the end of the day its still the internet and the only way to figure something out is to try it yourself

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
I will put in my 2 cents, as I think some of what the OP was getting at was directed at our business and some posts that were deleted.
If we legitimately screwed someone, then shame on us and go ahead...slam away because we deserve it.
If we sold a product to a consumer and was trying to help them remedy a problem with an existing product, we may not have succeeded and this can be perceived as poor product on our part. That is why we have stopped trying to help products with their own issues because sometimes you just can't win.
Now this is the part where it gets tricky...A vendor sells a product to a customer and they mess around with it until it's broken, or they don't follow the recommended operating procedure, or they have no idea what maintenance is...I could go on but everyone knows what I mean. Now the customer feels taken and they tell a few people without really getting to the bottom of the real problem.
Now the people that would lend an ear decide that the Vendor has a POS product and can't wait to run on to the internet and bash the Vendor because well...that is fun in their eyes.
The real problem is now it can hurt the Vendors reputation and if it is not true it is actually Defamation, Slander, and in the case of a public forum, it is Libel.
if a person truly is interested in a product, then simply ask in a thread of real world reviews from actual owners. Ask that people send PMs or emails if they are more comfortable with that.
One of the issues with a public forum is that Joe Blow can sit in front of his keyboard half cracked on a bottle of Jim Beam and start slamming a Vendor without any repercussions. If the info is not true, and someone doesn't buy the product then that person has actually committed Libel which is punishable by law.
Its a slippery slope for a Vendor to come on to a public forum and peddle their fare, because we are absolutely exposed, and sometimes only the mods can control it. Without Vendors, the forum doesn't exist so people should try and think about that.
We try our best to satisfy everyone and will look after all of our customers if they are willing to work with us. I also know that it is absolutely impossible to satisfy everyone...I know because I have been in retail my entire adult life.

Sorry for the long post, but these are so e things to consider.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree but some times you end up with some crazy reviews and claims, like Mountain Max's riding all day for $10 in gas and 1998 2500 dodge cummins hauling 25000lbs from Victoria to gp on a single tank. At the end of the day its still the internet and the only way to figure something out is to try it yourself

you are correct... but i think you get to know the guys in the forums who you can trust ect ect bottom line... i read forums on the bell curve principal... i take the worst and the best reviews and throw them out... the truth lies somewhere in the middle...

forum's shouldn't be sensored on product or business reviews or what's the point. Because if we start down that road i may as well go to HOnday/susuki/polorais ect web page and ask so how reliable is your machine and just take their word for it????

Forums like snow and mud have to remember without the people on the forum the forum is dead... forget the vendors... if vendor's are so afraid of a product sounding bad then build a better product not one that i personally have to fund the economy with trying to keep new valves in it ect ect ect

i tell you what... we should publish vendors who go after forums for censorship... to me its speaks volumes of the vendor... and don't say its money... they have add all over snowandmud for the masses to see if they're worried about what we are saying it speaks volumes to the crap they are trying to sell us... Just My Opinion...

Last edited:

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a person truly is interested in a product, then simply ask in a thread of real world reviews from actual owners. Ask that people send PMs or emails if they are more comfortable with that.

We try our best to satisfy everyone and will look after all of our customers if they are willing to work with us. I also know that it is absolutely impossible to satisfy everyone...I know because I have been in retail my entire adult life.

Sorry for the long post, but these are so e things to consider.

[/QUOTE]

don`t be sorry it was a good post and good to see the other point of view... but thats my point. I want those real world stories and i can trust myself to weed out joe dirt with his angry posts... we all do this. But i have noticed a growing trend on public forums to thank good vendors and support people... i just think in the modern day with technology a forum is like sitting in a pub talking to other patrons... vendors have to accept the good with the bad everyone else does! Frick, i hope Junior Tredeau doesn`t read my posts... i fear i may have broken the law!

Forums are about public debate... end rant! now go ahead and slam me... i fully expect to get flamed on most post as you are correct you will never make everyone happy... where does free speech come into play not trying to be an azz hat.... just curious

Top Bottom