Is a 250 smoker too big?

atchaboi

Reaction score
So I'm 14 5'8 and 140 lbs I've been riding for about 9 or 10 years so I'm pretty experienced. I'm coming off a kx 100 and I find under powered and boring now. Guys on thumpertalk are saying a 2t is too big. I'd like a smoker but I also like husky 310's. what do you guys think?

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of riding you do. If its mx, then ya its to big. If its cross country stuff, then no. But go with more of a friendly kind of bike, like a ktm 250xcw..

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seat height on it is going to be the same as all the other full size bikes. Since your already riding a race bike I don't think it's to big of a leap. I went from riding a kx 80, to a 2000 kx 250 when I was around that age. This season is pretty much coming to an end, so your probably going to grow over the winter for next season. If your looking for a 250 2 stroke, my friends and I had pretty much every brand made, my 2006 KTM 250 sx was by far the most reliable bike I have had.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As already mentioned, depends on the riding you are doing. A 2t MX bike doesn't really have the gearing to run tight single track as well as a bike with a off road designed tranny. The XC bikes fair a little better. This doesn't mean you can't ride a 250 2t in the woods, I know lots of guys who do. They just aren't as tame.

I would say regardless of your age, you have the size to ride the bike and the experience to know whether it is right for you or not.

atchaboi

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and yeah I usually just ride trails and logging roads etc. Right now I've got my eye on an 06 kx 250.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a ktm 200xc or xcw would probably be perfect but i bought a bored out cr500 when i was 14 so do whatever you want. I regret thinking i was awesome and should have got a proper bike looking back now. as i just bought the smallest bike i've ever owned a 250xc 2t

atchaboi

Reaction score
I found an 08 kx 250f with an Athena 290 big bore kit on it. The bike looks like it in really good shape but I was wondering if you think I would out grow the bike too soon?

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found an 08 kx 250f with an Athena 290 big bore kit on it. The bike looks like it in really good shape but I was wondering if you think I would out grow the bike too soon?

Nope, 250f is a good bike and if you were worried a 250 may be too big, you shouldnt worry bout out growing it yet :D

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
125s and 250s are the same size (I think 125s are a hair taller?), so size wise there isnt really a difference. Power wise I think the 250 has a MUCH nicer, more linear power. I would go with a 250. If you are an experienced rider you will grow into it fast.

atchaboi

Reaction score
Would the 290 big bore be much more powerful than a regular 250? Or should I just keep lookin at 2 strokes?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its just a bigbore there won't be a huge differance. If its a kit with cams and high compression piston it will be a different story. From what I have seen the 250f don't have near the life span of a two stroke or even a 450. I have never owned one either though. Drove a few.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hated my 09 250 f. Went through timing chains, dropped a valve, took out the head, needed regular valve adjustments, I think it was apart more then I rode it. I bought it new.

Went back to the 2 smokers. I am not sure I would go back to a thumper.

sent from a top secret location

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hated my 09 250 f. Went through timing chains, dropped a valve, took out the head, needed regular valve adjustments, I think it was apart more then I rode it. I bought it new.

Went back to the 2 smokers. I am not sure I would go back to a thumper.

I agree, 2 strokes all the way!!!!! 1 hr rebuilds and your gtg, no BS no hassles!

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really size of bike is all on how you ride and how good of a rider you are. I'm 5'7 and 150pounds and ride a 450 thumper, but I have owned most sizes of bikes and didn't mind the 250 four stroke but they are a pain in the a$$ and the 250 2t is a lot of fun just need time to learn its power like any bike on the market. Id stay away from the big bore. Reliability is shorted even more then 4 strokes themselves and for 40cc its nothing but a time bomb. If ya need advice buying a bike and wanna know some details PM me. I've had all cc's and most brands all but Yamaha... never like them lol

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All personal preference but always owned Honda 2 smokes growing up, just recently bought a Yammy 250F and absolutely love it...have 3 in our group now. Is it the fastest bike on the track....nope, can i hit everything the 450's are...yup....but the biggest thing that matters is that your having fun doing it. If i had tons of cash my dream bike would be the KTM 350 thumper, perfect size IMO but its over $10k which is way outta my budget.

Top Bottom