Interesting legal issue on a runaway sled

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1. No, dealers do not bypass this critical safety device.

2. Nice work calling out a local reputable dealer on an unsafe practise.

Tethers and throttle safety switches prevent different root causes of runaways.

My original post was better but was nuked because I made tex look like a complete monosyllabic troglodyte.

Does Yamaha use cats throttle safety switch or did they invent something of their own? Tether would still be best. If the rider is smart enough to attach it.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guess is that he only had health insurance in Alberta. Little known fact that if you are from a different province and require things like medical flights such as getting hurt in bc and requiring transfer back to Alberta, ahs won't cover it. You will get a bill. In guessing passer didn't have travel insurance so he might have some medical bills from bc government

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does Yamaha use cats throttle safety switch or did they invent something of their own? Tether would still be best. If the rider is smart enough to attach it.
Yes they do, both use throttle safeties.

Throttle over ride's and tether's are not for the same purpose. Most people have a misconception on that.

The differences;
Throttle over ride system uses basically 2-3 micro switches depending on year and model. One switch at the flipper, other switches are at the throttle linkage at carb. or throttle body again depending on year and model.
The switches operate insync with each other. If one switch fails to communicate the ign is interrupted. Example; the throttle linkage is open but the flipper is closed. Or the flipper is open but the throttle like is closed. This is in case of frozen throttles, it will not allow the motor to start.
BUT, it will not shut down a motor if the rider falls off.

On the other hand tether's do shut the motor down if the rider does fall off. But does not shut a motor down if the throttle is frozen like a throttle over ride.

So the point here, if your sled has no tether, put one on, wear it. ALWAYS put the tether on FIRST before starting the sled. If you have no throttle over ride or it has been bypass it will prevent a ghost riding sled.

"Not sure about that. buddy's brand new cat won't run right..Dealer bypassed TSS yesterday. Still doesnt run good though."

BTW, no reputable dealer would bypass a safety feature like a throttle over ride or tether. There are no reason too, the system works or it doesn't, if it doesn't then it gets fixed and has no effect on how a motor run's, it will either run or it won't...simple.

Last edited:

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I believe that is correct. I make sure it’s in good order, plus run the factory available tether as well.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But no dealer does it Bert, what do we know
All I know is the cat owner told me the TSS was disconnected. Whatever that means. It isn't how I would try to address the issue of his engine misfiring at higher rpm.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But no dealer does it Bert, what do we know

All I know is the cat owner told me the TSS was disconnected. Whatever that means. It isn't how I would try to address the issue of his engine misfiring at higher rpm.

OK, to simplify it even further. You see that big red button on the handle bar near the flipper. Throttle over rides and tether's is a red button but instead it is installed in the throttle system and ign. Does the red button effect how the motor run's? No, it either runs or doesn't.

If you know how to use a simple meter, anyone can easily check the system for proper operation. If your illiterate with a basic meter usage then its a mystery how it works and will or may conclude runability issues with TOR's.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those injuries are incredible... so sad and unfortunate.

My 13 Pro did not come with a tether when I bought it but I put one on for my own safety in the event I get caught under my track with a WOT or same thing I get bucked off and the sled takes off down a hill without me. Never would I have never thought about it becoming a legal battle should I not choose to wear it. Only time I don't (on occasion) is going up or down the logging road, otherwise it's on at all times. Makes me think twice now since I'd hate to run into a $80K Red-plated truck at the end of the day if something were to go haywire...

longtrack 156

Reaction score
Actually, the judge is wrong, as too often happens, they don't seem to understand or have any kind of logic. If all snowmobiles were equipped by law then yes. What if my 86 Phazer ran away because my home made tether failed. Where do these judges come from anyway? Worst case I have ever seen was a lady in Vancouver sued ICBC because they wouldn't pay when she was rear ended at a stop sign. The judge said the guy that rear ended her couldn't stop because it was too icy and he wasn't responsible. Law says you must have control of your vehicle at all times, judge ignored that. She owes ICBC $40,000 for court costs for being rear ended at a stop sign.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the throttle safety switch that was on polaris sleds back in the 90’s that killed the engine, is it not designed that way anymore? That was a way better system than a tether, if yah kept the throttle cable slack adjusted properly.

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does one get registration then... without insurance? Must be a B.C. thing..

If you operate an ORV on or across highways, you're required to obtain ICBC’s Basic Insurance. If you operate an ORV on forest service roads, you'll need $200,000 in third party liability insurance. This may be obtained from ICBC or other insurers.On all other Crown land, liability insurance is voluntary but recommended.

You would be a fool not having third party liability.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does one get registration then... without insurance? I call BS on that.

You do not need insurance to register in BC, all you do is walk in to a ICBC office or broker and tell them you bought this sled and need to register it. Done, pay the fee, put your decal or registration plate on and go have fun. Your option to insure and insurance is required for certain application as we already stated. This is the same with boats, ATV's, or any off public road vehicles. All is require is registration with Victoria as to who owns it. They don't give a poop if you do or do not have insurance.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some simple fact's about BC sledding, like it or not those are the facts. Your riding uncontrolled mountains. You do that at your own risk, if you "F"up your sled, your problem. If you "F"up somebody else sled or person who at the same extent ventured into an uncontrolled environment(mountain's)...too bad. They assumed the risk as you did. If this is truly an issue then one should stay in a controlled environment were the law and insurance can be enforced.
In BC that is not possible with the free range of mountain riding available. Back east and maybe Alberta YES.
All ICBC government is concerned about is recovery of stolen property(sleds) with registration and that IMO is a cash grab on how that work's in BC.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Time somebody includes suing the province of bc in the next injury claim for allowing uninsured operation on public land.

Top Bottom