Intake: Cat SnoPro Intake Kit

cdnsledder

Reaction score
The situation:so I installed this kit which is basically a big pre-filter covering a plastic frame and a crazy carpet (red in the picture below) plastic sheet on top of that in the very nose of the M-series sled (mine is a '10 M8 sp). I bought my bumper all predrilled, then put the nylon frogskin like covers on top (looks like Bret Rasmussens bumper, see exterior picture on the black screens on the bumper). Also drilled out some aluminum on the plate below the intake.

The Problem: just got back from some powder riding in Revy and when you get to pushing pow with this bumper intake kit it can and will bring you to a stop because there just isnt any air getting in. Downhill or sidehill especially.

Temporary Fix: cut back the cover on the intake (cut the crazy carpet) back a bit so it can suck warm air from the engine bay... not ideal for obvious reasons.

Maybe I installed this wrong or maybe you have an opinion on what I can do to make it work better.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• Cat M8 intake.jpg
    Cat M8 intake.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Cat exterior.jpg
    Cat exterior.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 339

mustard73

Reaction score
Is this the BDX intake kit? I just installed one on my M8 too but haven't had a chance to ride it since.

Did you install vents in the back side of the nose cone near the a-arms too? See the bottom left image.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's why I don't like the intakes that try to seal the intake off from the engine compartment. I just vented the chit out of my sled; nose cone vents,side panel vents,guage relocation vent kit, and vents on either side of my guages. I've never had any issues with bogging in powder. I doubt there is enough difference in the underhood temp on an open set-up with lots of venting vs. the shelf style that only draws cold air to make a difference in most conditions. Unless you get in deep pow that plugs your nose vents.........then you'll notice a difference; like you already have. :beer::beer:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also noticed that when I ran the SLP can that came with my pipe it seemed like my sled loaded up a bit on the bottom end.:confused: Pulled off the SLP can and put my D&D can back on with the pipe and it was much better.:cool:

sleliuk1

Reaction score
That's why I don't like the intakes that try to seal the intake off from the engine compartment. I just vented the chit out of my sled; nose cone vents,side panel vents,guage relocation vent kit, and vents on either side of my guages. I've never had any issues with bogging in powder. I doubt there is enough difference in the underhood temp on an open set-up with lots of venting vs. the shelf style that only draws cold air to make a difference in most conditions. Unless you get in deep pow that plugs your nose vents.........then you'll notice a difference; like you already have. :beer::beer:

x2 on that! if you vent the "chit" out of your sled then just throw a D&D firebreather on it, thats what i got and it works really well regardless of how deep the snow is!

cdnsledder

Reaction score
Is this the BDX intake kit? I just installed one on my M8 too but haven't had a chance to ride it since.

Did you install vents in the back side of the nose cone near the a-arms too? See the bottom left image.

Yep got those on there as well.

cdnsledder

Reaction score

Thanks for that. I agree. It's a ceramic coated pipe in there as well which should help with the under hood temps. I think I will cut back the red filter cover and let the intake suck in some engine air as well. Heck it's an m8! Don't have any problem with power anyway!

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran mine for the first time this weekend 2009 m8 162 sp.bdx intake cuttler twins attitude controller cuttler dd conversion clutch kit & v force ,i had to take off the bdx cover motor kept bogging down frogskins getting plugged on the nose and caused restriction ,took off cover and ran freekin awsome... :d

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 on that! if you vent the "chit" out of your sled then just throw a D&D firebreather on it, thats what i got and it works really well regardless of how deep the snow is!

That's what I run too. D&D Firebreather, SLP pipe, Attitude fuel controller.:cool:

mustard73

Reaction score
Man, I hope mine doesn't bog with the BDX... Thinking I might go buy a crazy carpet and use the BDX cover as a template and cut a new one that I can vent if necessary.

Been reading about these intakes some more and sounds like any performance related complaints are related to riding in really deep powder or creek crossings.

mustard73

Reaction score
Just notice the routing of the clear tube from your ECU in the top picture. Aren't you supposed to run it straight down? Maybe makes no difference... :dontknow:

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the speedwerx snopro air box without the nose cone vents and the stupid plastic thing over it and mine works GREAT !!! never had a problem

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull the cover off and put a guage cage in, this vents all the hot air out the top and allows cool air to stay in the nose so even if you are pulling air from the engine bay. this is what i run and my sled has yet to bog.

i have a BDX intake.

mac22

Reaction score
I run the speedwerx snopro air box without the nose cone vents and the stupid plastic thing over it and mine works GREAT !!! never had a problem

I have the Sno Pro intake as well, No cover on Mine, I have yet to test it but I dont think a little heat from under the engine will hurt, Better than pluging off and having that thing bog out on ya. Plenty of venting on hood and side panels is the key.:beer:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Sno Pro intake as well, No cover on Mine, I have yet to test it but I dont think a little heat from under the engine will hurt, Better than pluging off and having that thing bog out on ya. Plenty of venting on hood and side panels is the key.:beer:

For the deep snow like revy the stock air box with some more air intake works the best...many have changed and regretted it. Talk to linderman at Arctic Edge if you need help or I have a post under the M Thread...showing all the extra intake you can add just to the stock..https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f456/arctic-edge-m1000-season-prep-35961.html

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the weight savings is the main reason for going to an aftermarket intake for most guys. I think any performance gains or losses are very minimal. I put my stock intake back on for a trip after running the Firebreather and the weight difference from a gutted hood with an aftermarket intake to a hood running the stock set up is HUGE.

Top Bottom