Installing New pistons on M1000 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cat pride 2009

Reaction score
Hey guys

Looking for any tips I can get. So I have the new piston installed and cant seem to compress the rings enough to slide the cylinder over the piston whats your guys tricks or do you simply squeeze the rings with your hand and slide it over.

Thanks in advance.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to squeeze the rings into place with your hand.
You have to make sure that the ring is squished tight to the pins that are in the groove on the piston.
It's a bit of a pain but is real easy.Just don't get to rammy and for e it into the jug.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure the locating pin is lined up with the notch in the ring,

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have long skinny fingers it helps. Make sure to soak them in oil too. Everything fits together better with lube.

Ruegsegger

Reaction score
On a side note* Make sure that the circlips holding the wrist pin are not installed with the gaps straight to the side, I have seen circlips pop out when installed like this because of G-forces at high RPM's. Good luck.

mtm

Reaction score
Get a buddy to lower the jug. We just did two sets, bit of a pain but go slow and don't force anything. they'll go.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Make sure you have the rings facing the Right way up or down. Some have a direction marking on them (R) right buy the split in the ring. This should go up. Rings usually have a Taper down or up. If you have it the wrong way it wont squeeze into the grove of piston properly and if it does, it probably wont come back out. Causing the problem your having....

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if you're using SPI pistons just take them back out, put them back in the box, and go get some Cat pistons. My group has been using SPI pistons for years with no problems in various engines, but for some reason the M1000 engine doesn't like them one bit.

scrub

Reaction score
I have used hoses clamps before to keep the rings in the grooves. Just snug them up a bit until the ring is seated properly, then push the cylinder down onto the clamp, which will keep the ring compressed until it's in the cylinder.

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if you're using SPI pistons just take them back out, put them back in the box, and go get some Cat pistons. My group has been using SPI pistons for years with no problems in various engines, but for some reason the M1000 engine doesn't like them one bit.
X2 on this advice

cat pride 2009

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great tips the new pistons are OEM. Ill give it another shot when I get a chance.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, make sure the rings are lined up with the locating pins and use lots of oil. When doing it alone, I found the best way to do it is to use your index fingers and thumbs. Wrap your hands around the piston compressing the ring with your index fingers and thumbs while letting the cylinder rest on the tops of your fingers. That way once the ring is compressed enough, the cylinder will just slide down on its own.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

researching that a bit more this year after your issue, thinking it has something to do with the design on this 1000 diameter piston. Work fine in 800's and all other motors, wondering if the expansion is just that little bit more on the 1000 and that there is just a critical point for the 1000 piston size that it doesn't like? I'm sure they were sized right and I believe your's still seized correct?

For installing rings, the bottom of the cylinder is chamfered a little and if the pin and rings are aligned, it should slide right in. As mentioned, make sure markings on the rings are facing up (this is typically the case - usually a dot on the side that is supposed to face up), and make sure pistons are in the correct way.

Last edited:

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
researching that a bit more this year after your issue, thinking it has something to do with the design on this 1000 diameter piston. Work fine in 800's and all other motors, wondering if the expansion is just that little bit more on the 1000 and that there is just a critical point for the 1000 piston size that it doesn't like? I'm sure they were sized right and I believe your's still seized correct?

For installing rings, the bottom of the cylinder is chamfered a little and if the pin and rings are aligned, it should slide right in. As mentioned, make sure markings on the rings are facing up (this is typically the case - usually a dot on the side that is supposed to face up), and make sure pistons are in the correct way.
This happend twice to me last year and each time it looked like it had cold seized

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This happend twice to me last year and each time it looked like it had cold seized

Exactly the same thing twice on mine. Running fine on Cat pistons ever since. I think Modman's right. It seems that the 1000 pistons are so damn big that the SPI design allows for just enough expansion to squeek 'em, whereas the OEM doesn't. I remember it being quite frustrating/expensive for both of us last year Hankey! :beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly the same thing twice on mine. Running fine on Cat pistons ever since. I think Modman's right. It seems that the 1000 pistons are so damn big that the SPI design allows for just enough expansion to squeek 'em, whereas the OEM doesn't. I remember it being quite frustrating/expensive for both of us last year Hankey! :beer:

Good to hear someone else is thinking same thing. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the production method, usually cast pistons have more webbing and more uniformity in the expansion rate, and so the tighter tolerances than forged. I thought the SPI's were cast pistons like the OEM stockers, but if not, then this could be a possible issue if they are forged. I'm wondering if anyone has talked to SPI about this.

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've set the pistons in properly into the cylinders first, then inserted lowered cylinders and pistons onto the rod, and insert the pins/bearings. Having a circlip installed on the inside clip ring of the piston as well before you lower the jugs leaves only one circlip to put in after it is set up. insert pins from the outside on each side or inside on the first one, whatever looks easier. Having someone hold the setup while you insert the pins in the way to do it. ensure clips are installed properly as above. I use this method on all installs. put a rag to cover the open bottom end to catch a clip if you drop it. have had no problem with the installations.

togo ripper

Reaction score
On a side note* Make sure that the circlips holding the wrist pin are not installed with the gaps straight to the side, I have seen circlips pop out when installed like this because of G-forces at high RPM's. Good luck.
X2 on this it's happened to me on my old mountain max destroyed piston and jug

Top Bottom