inReach Question

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an inReach and I was wondering let's say I had an incident where a friend got hurt or some guy got buried in an avalanche that I didn't know who was rescued but injured and I used my inReach to contact Search and Rescue, would I be the one liable to pay that bill since it's my name on that device?! Or is it the person that is getting rescued liable for the $$?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rowdy, what made you got with inReach vs SPOT? Just curious as I am trying to make this decision as well and everywhere I read it seems to be 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other...

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rowdy, what made you got with inReach vs SPOT? Just curious as I am trying to make this decision as well and everywhere I read it seems to be 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other...

Here's the comparison that made me go inReach. 66 satellites vs 34. BIG difference. Plus there's an $80 rebate right now. $15/month safety plan and in the months I don't use it I pay $4 a month. Worth it IMO

Compare PLBs and Spot - ACR, Spot, Spot Connect, inReach Comparison - GPSCentral.ca

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isnt that if it only "life threatening" Heard about a couple guys using there SPOT (same thing no?) for broken arms or legs and basically got charged as they did not require immediat assitance.

That's what I'm wondering as well as if I would get the bill since it's my name on the device. Also, would you be legally obligated to use it for someone else should they require it? Wondering what kind of legalities it could potentially open you up to.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm wondering as well as if I would get the bill since it's my name on the device. Also, would you be legally obligated to use it for someone else should they require it? Wondering what kind of legalities it could potentially open you up to.

So is this where the inReach paired with an iPhone could possibly shine: you can send a message regarding the extent of injury and need for rescue and receive a message back regarding options? In my professional experience and personal opinion, a broken arm or leg could be life threatening: a night spent on the mountain when in shock and exposed to the elements could easily end a life. Throw in a compartment syndrome, air emboli from long bone fracture or possible internal bleeding??? How are you to know what is "life threatening"????

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
It is true that you will not be billed if you need search and rescue, regardless of incident and how life threatening it is! If you are lost or in need of help, call immediately. The reason for the no charge is so people don't wait till as usually if there was a payment people don't often call until its too late. The best thing about inReach is you can use your iphone or android to then relay messages to let search and rescue know what the problem is...this helps to decide if they come in via heli immediately or an evac with sleds or other in a less life threatning situation.
There is also no charge with your inreach on a real emergency. If you do need to be rescued though I suggest a good donation to the search and rescue unit that does help you. They are volunteers who had to leave their job , unpaid, to come help you so giving back is a good idea!
This is in Canada!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is this where the inReach paired with an iPhone could possibly shine: you can send a message regarding the extent of injury and need for rescue and receive a message back regarding options? In my professional experience and personal opinion, a broken arm or leg could be life threatening: a night spent on the mountain when in shock and exposed to the elements could easily end a life. Throw in a compartment syndrome, air emboli from long bone fracture or possible internal bleeding??? How are you to know what is "life threatening"????

Yes, you can send an exact message to search and rescue with your iPhone of what the injury is and to what person. In the set up process it also allowed me to put in medical notes such as I'm allergic to penicillin and an asthmatic. Important information if I'm unconscious.

And I would agree with you, very hard to determine "life threatening" could be internal bleeding and you wouldn't know.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing I like about the inreach is u cacan use it
for a GPS on your cell and text a buddy in the middle of
no where not just a rescue

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if there is a charge for SAR, I would imagine it would be the person who is actually getting lifted out that pays the bill, not the person who calls it in.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And then the next question: one GPS for Jeremy and I as a couple or one for each of us in case we are separated and injured?? What are the odds on this gamble do ya figure :)

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if there is a charge for SAR, I would imagine it would be the person who is actually getting lifted out that pays the bill, not the person who calls it in.

I know in the states it's whoever is getting assisted by SAR. same thing with the medivac bird.

which could be different there.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at getting an inReach .. but the extra cost isn't worth it IMO .. I already have a spot..

If you look at their CDN plan rates, it is pretty expensive if you actually want to "post to facebook / text your buddy" .. even the "emergency only" plan is quite a bit more than spot

all the while you need to depend on your smart phone for the extra features ..

If i ever "upgrade" from a spot, i'd go to a sat phone

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at getting an inReach .. but the extra cost isn't worth it IMO .. I already have a spot..

If you look at their CDN plan rates, it is pretty expensive if you actually want to "post to facebook / text your buddy" .. even the "emergency only" plan is quite a bit more than spot

all the while you need to depend on your smart phone for the extra features ..

If i ever "upgrade" from a spot, i'd go to a sat phone

I personally didn't get it to waste a pow day texting friends from the mountain top or crack booking when I could be riding. I got it for the emergency feature only.

So with the rebate they have the inReach will cost me $182.00 then the plan for the entire year, based on let's say 6 months riding at $15 a month then 6 months not being used at $4 a month is $114 a year. So realistically not much more than the spot connect.

Spot Connect: $158 (including tax) + $100 per year.
inReach: $182 (including tax) + $114 per year

By my math for the extra $24 in initial purchase cost and extra $14 a year...I'd say worth it.

but hey...to each their own.

I also intended bringing along my cell phone this season in a pelican case for music when stopped if I choose and also to take some pics since my digital camera sucks anyways.

The iPhone case I picked up.

Last edited:

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't they charge you extra to "reduce" your plan ? i thought i saw something like that

if i didn't already have a spot i'd probably get the inreach .. it does look pretty cool !

Top Bottom