I'm not a rookie .. I used the search .. but hear me out already ...

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't decide how im going to haul the Freeride around
I have a 2012 Nissan Titan w a short box (5'7") payload is 1760lbs or so
I bought a brand new sled this yr, so I m trying to be economical on the hauling device (aka dont wanna spend an arm and a leg on something)

I really dont want a trailer ... and loading the sled in the back of my truck is an option, but a PITA by yourself .. and leaves little room for gear etc when I have the family w me
I have thought about a deck, but have a few concerns about the weight
I would only EVER haul 1 sled on it, two isnt safe nor is it an option

I have thought about a REVARC ramp, but any ramp in general is just taking up more space

uugghh .....

Im going to have to buy a trailer ... aren't I? ..... :realmad:

anyone else have an idea I may have missed> ???

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep your eye on kijiji for a used cheap deck i found one for 400 bucks and it works great its not fancy at all but works fine i can load it myself and take to time to fasten it in the box

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built this. doesn't solve your storage problem but loading and unloading is easy withthe 6' ramp that slides under. It stays in my truck all winter (with ramp) with the tailgate closed and is set up to go in seconds. Sled is held down with a superclamp, minideck is turnbucked to box tiedowns.
20120222_131423.jpg
20120222_130400.jpg
20120223_123614.jpg
20120223_123512.jpg

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled in the back of the truck with ramp. Works like a charm and it's easy to do yourself. Reverse the sucker off the truck, no ramp necessary. Once the sleds loaded you just yank the ramp out from under the track. You might eff ur tailgate tho. I sure did with mine.

Another option would be building something like I pictured below. It hooks right into your hitch, you remove your tailgate and it covers the entire box of your truck. Works GREAT. However my issue was it was too darn heavy for me to ninja it into position in my truck myself. So for me it defeated the purpose.

Attachments

• 377152_10150936349170111_1544411738_n.jpg
    377152_10150936349170111_1544411738_n.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 760

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and if you are building a homemade solution keep in mind DOT allows 1.5 meters(AB) or 1.2 meters (BC) past the tail lights.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Build one of those 2x4 and plywood single decks with the ramp that slides underneath or look at one of the prebuilt single decks like the one from full lotus the "quickie"

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and if you are building a homemade solution keep in mind DOT allows 1.5 meters(AB) or 1.2 meters (BC) past the tail lights.

All good but that applies to any solution, homemade or even 8' decks. Few come wth tail lights built in.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i run a single place on my 07 titan, my payload is only in the 1500 range and i have weighed with sled, 2 people, and gear and was still ok. i actually think i had 3 people when i weighed it come to think of it. deck and ramp are about 300 together. i have never had an issue and it seems to handle it with ease. hauling just one i think your fine.

Attachments

• IMG-20111119-00322.jpg
    IMG-20111119-00322.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 761
  • IMG-20111119-00327.jpg
    IMG-20111119-00327.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 747

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
All good but that applies to any solution, homemade or even 8' decks. Few come wth tail lights built in.

very true, going to be adding them to my 9' deck I think.... no cause its way past the back of the truck, but just to appease the officers :)

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother reversed his sled off the back of a trailer once. He won't do that ever again.
When the front end came down, he went forward over the bars and pinned the throttle wide open. Ever see a guy showing off, full speed in reverse through a parking lot? He's probably not showing off.

There's this..
I've also found plans on the web for a homemade tilting ramp that slides into the bed once the sled is on the ramp. There used to be some ads on kijiji for a hardware kit and instructions to build your own.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah I figured that went without saying. But good to make mention. I added reflectors all around it and asked a DOT authority if I should add lights to it and they said no so I got it in writing too.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i will be adding reflectors to mine as well but i also picked up a clip on marker light i'm going to throw on the track of the sled when in transport

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IT can be done very economically as well, many years ago, I bulit a rasied 4' x 8' deck out of just plywood and 2 x 4's....and the ramp was out of plywood, hinged in the middle with an old track screwed to it for traction....after a few years had to add a piece of angle irn to the front as the plywood started to sag. It last atleast 10 years...

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
to build one like i have would cost you about 300 in material, it was build by boggers brother inlaw and he sold it to me dirt cheap....he had it for 6 years or better and i have it now for 2 years.....love being able to store underneath it.....built an inbox unit for mtself 4 years ago our of about 80$ in unistrut, structural steel stud and ply wood....worked like a dream until i got this one

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I was gonna say that your first one worked like a chrm just lacked the understorage, but was cheap and pretty fawking slick...

pretty sure it's still sitting in my yard....lol

to build one like i have would cost you about 300 in material, it was build by boggers brother inlaw and he sold it to me dirt cheap....he had it for 6 years or better and i have it now for 2 years.....love being able to store underneath it.....built an inbox unit for mtself 4 years ago our of about 80$ in unistrut, structural steel stud and ply wood....worked like a dream until i got this one

Reaction score
TRUCKBOSS 7 Base with a 10' Fat Ramp, Ramp Bar and Carbide Kit is $3650
Sealed Storage
Unlimited Tie down points
Fully Anodized
All Aluminum Extrusion Construction
and the Base TRUCKBOSS is easily upgrade-able if you decide to have expandable sides in the future
Ford Raptor Base Deck.JPG
Base Deck in the photo is a TRUCKBOSS 6 Base with a Cab Guard ($230) and Base Extension ($195)

If you have any questions please phone us toll free 866 440 6800 or visit our website Truckboss Modular Aluminum Sled & ATV Truck Decks

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TRUCKBOSS 7 Base with a 10' Fat Ramp, Ramp Bar and Carbide Kit is $3650
Sealed Storage
Unlimited Tie down points
Fully Anodized
All Aluminum Extrusion Construction
and the Base TRUCKBOSS is easily upgrade-able if you decide to have expandable sides in the future

Base Deck in the photo is a TRUCKBOSS 6 Base with a Cab Guard ($230) and Base Extension ($195)

If you have any questions please phone us toll free 866 440 6800 or visit our website Truckboss Modular Aluminum Sled & ATV Truck Decks

I appreciate the response, but somehow I dont think $4g's is "economical"
and certainly isnt in my budget this year

the ramp is at my place, gets me in and out of the shed nicely

your deck looks awesome in your Titan
I have the Pro4X model, so the payload is a little more than yours (different suspension)
I also have the crew cab or whatever, so a bit shorter box

I would love some type of single place deck like that w a ramp and all ... unfortunalty I have zero welding skillz ....

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built this. doesn't solve your storage problem but loading and unloading is easy withthe 6' ramp that slides under. It stays in my truck all winter (with ramp) with the tailgate closed and is set up to go in seconds. Sled is held down with a superclamp, minideck is turnbucked to box tiedowns.

really like your idea .. mostly cause the tailgate can be up when not in use
but doesnt help me w my storage at all .. which I need
when i go to the cabin I have my 2 kiddies and wifey w me
also have a boat lod of gear to haul ....

Top Bottom