If you were to change careers...

tipper

Reaction score
What would some of you guys recommend for a trade or other kind of job if you wanted a change?
Right now i'm thinking of signing up to do a heavy duty mechanic apprenticeship. It's been a long time since I was in school so i'm sure it won't be easy going back to the classroom!

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself,

Currently I'm a 3rd year Parts Tech apprentice. I like it but I'd also like to try something else when I've got my ticket. I've been looking into perhaps a Sprinkler Fitter apprenticeship but I hear these are hard to come by.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 35 and I'm going to change my trade to HD mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.

Heavy_UZ

Reaction score
Do It, Do It, Do It. Going back to school was easier than i thought (perhaps a little maturity helped Lol). Even if you ultimitly fail at becomming a HD mec the education & experience will be worth it & good for you doing somthing positive not whinning about how bad you currently have it

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im 38 and just got my GED and am now doing an online course from sait its amazing what a little time will do for when it comes to wanting to learn ... I am going thru a change in jobs as well ... wirelined for 10 years and now im trying to get into well operating hint hint if anyone has some hook ups lol .... it still in the patch but its starting over but worth it

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am too old to start over, thinking about retiring next year.
But I do regret not getting a trade when i was younger, doesn't matter what it is, go for it.
You can not lose investing in education.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about a HD partsman? it's a bit easier than a HD mechanic with just a bit less money. Most of them are inside desk jobs.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about a HD partsman? it's a bit easier than a HD mechanic with just a bit less money. Most of them are inside desk jobs.

A parts tech is a parts tech regardless of field of work (as far as schooling goes).

I won't lie, it's been a good career so far (6 years in) and if you work in the heavy industries you get paid well (for the work you do). I myself have spent all of these 6 years in natural gas service and just recently got a job doing fleet service for an oilfield hauling company.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A journeyman partsman as far as I know is not a parts tech. and since it is a ticketed trade in the heavy duty industry it pays way more compared to a partsman that might work say at Napa or Lordco etc.
A parts tech is a parts tech regardless of field of work (as far as schooling goes).

I won't lie, it's been a good career so far (6 years in) and if you work in the heavy industries you get paid well (for the work you do). I myself have spent all of these 6 years in natural gas service and just recently got a job doing fleet service for an oilfield hauling company.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Partsman = parts technician. They're the same thing, they just decided to call it "technician" somewhere along the line. It's a red seal trade, and regardless of the industry you work in the schooling is the same.

But yeah, the poor saps at Napa make pretty pitiful wages. Starting at an auto parts store is $18-$22 or something like that.

Tradesecrets - Parts Technician - Parts Technician

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IF I made just $18-22 per hour I wouldn't be sledding with new sleds any time soon, not with a family at home
Partsman = parts technician. They're the same thing, they just decided to call it "technician" somewhere along the line. It's a red seal trade, and regardless of the industry you work in the schooling is the same.

But yeah, the poor saps at Napa make pretty pitiful wages. Starting at an auto parts store is $18-$22 or something like that.

Tradesecrets - Parts Technician - Parts Technician

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No doubt. I got offered a job at a local jobber that I routinely go to when I'm working on my own stuff. I like the people and they seem to all really like their jobs...but when I heard what they made (some of them after 5 years...) I was honestly shocked. I guess they aren't like me with all these costly hobbies :(

Get into natural gas and I started 6 years ago at $22/hr in the warehouse. J-man rates are from the low $30's up through the mid $40's (comewhere like the Mac).

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about being a partsman at a Polaris ATV dealership? Do you think there is commission incentive? Quite a few Porsches and Bimmers parked in the parking lots of these places.....

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about being a partsman at a Polaris ATV dealership? Do you think there is commission incentive? Quite a few Porsches and Bimmers parked in the parking lots of these places.....

Haha those have to be the owners...cause "toy stores" pay less than auto parts places as far as I know...

Funny you mention commision. My friend works for VW and makes her salary + a partial commision. No idea how that works to be honesty with you.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha those have to be the owners...cause "toy stores" pay less than auto parts places as far as I know...

Funny you mention commision. My friend works for VW and makes her salary + a partial commision. No idea how that works to be honesty with you.

Ya I agree not much money at the "Toy" stores.... Im in the auto side, sales an management for the last 15 years. Money has been good but the hours and the way customers treat you is pretty brutal...

I'm ready for a change. Any oil guys need a solid top performing sales guy? give me a shout I will produce!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

my sales guys are 100% commission and it is hard on some people with the ups and downs. Its very hard to find sales staff. Some stores will pay a base salary like $1500 plus commission but that is just smoke and mirrors as the best paying stores do not offer salary

Last edited:
Top Bottom