Idle problems yz 250 1990

sn00ky

Reaction score
Hey everyone, havn't been on in a while....but of course here I am when I need help!!!

Yz 250 1990 2 cycle...Just rebuilt top end and running good.
Before rebuild, since I owned bike (approx 30 running hrs) the bike never wanted to idle, at all.

Now that it is rebuilt, and running strong, still nothing...atm, it is running rich, mainly because I am playing with it.

Can running rich cause it to not idle?

I have replaced Pilot - 45 / Main - 310......Needle was at pos 2 (lean) and changed to 3 with no better, just richer again.

Before rebuild, plug burned perfectly with those settings (needle @ 2)....nice and brown...but no idle of course...

Any ideas? I don't want it to idle a tank of fuel, but for a few seconds at least....and mainly for some lube when going down hills n stuff....right now I have to clutch and rev all the time...kinda annoying....

Thanks!!!!.....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you play with the air screw at all?

how about just turning the idle screw up?? That's the first thing I would do before touching anything at all.

sn00ky

Reaction score
hey there,
yes, tried idle screw, it is maxed out...and brand new...(the original was worn a bit)...and it is operating as well as i can see that it moves my barrel properly....also tried air-screw from 1/2 turn all the way to 2 1/2 turns with no luck...replaced all jets in carb....including pilot jet....adjusted needle, with appropriate adjustments in air/fuel screw...still no luck....

Top Bottom