I told the guy that I was working for to go piss up a rope

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O/O will take the fall.....driver has final say in ANY load hauled in the eyes of the law. we all laughed in the GOTI course when they told us that. company owned truck, company takes the brunt but driver will get his share too.

YOU the driver sign YOUR log book, and YOU are the one responsible. You and you alone.

Same deal with your pre trip inspection, it's your fault if the truck isn't 100%

You sign it everyday, not the shop, ANYTHING wrong with the truck is YOUR responsibility.

Mechanics should be inspecting each and every truck everyday, why should an untrained driver be doing it in the dark in a snow bank at -30 ?

Everybody has just passed all the responsibility to the driver and that's that.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YOU the driver sign YOUR log book, and YOU are the one responsible. You and you alone.

Same deal with your pre trip inspection, it's your fault if the truck isn't 100%

You sign it everyday, not the shop, ANYTHING wrong with the truck is YOUR responsibility.

Mechanics should be inspecting each and every truck everyday, why should an untrained driver be doing it in the dark in a snow bank at -30 ?

Everybody has just passed all the responsibility to the driver and that's that.
I don't argue that point at all, I was thinking he was referring to if you crashed and injured/killed someone.....not for mechanical failure.

as for the question of why the driver should do it, because if you are running off road or any road for that matter, you better know what's what with your equipment. especially at -30....first and foremost, I want to get home. if you can't crawl underneath and check boxes for fluid when you see a leak, or repair an air line that's leaking or broken, you best find another occupation IMO....

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for me I run the highway . I have to stop at 5-6 scale houses on a single trip , pretty easy for them to count hours and kms it would take from point a to point b.

I own my own truck and trailer , all insurance for said units including cargo, I pay the permits for borders, I pay the fuel taxes.

I am also responsible for a safe truck with tires that won't go flying off into traffic.

load safety as well.

A guy I know had a lady run right into him last year and she got killed . The first thing the DOT said was .where was your last stop and wheres your log book.

company drivers probably have to put up with more crap than I do because I flip the bill for everything.

in the end when sh1t happens I am 100% on the hook.

period end of story

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know my way around a truck and have fixed things with tin foil, paper clips, and sharpened sticks :d (not kidding)

How many drivers could do a proper inspection of brake adjustment ?

I don't know much about the law, but I don't think anybody is going to legally responsible for anything they didn't sign.

The company can't be held responsible for me lying in my log book.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on a side note ........they called me this morning and asked if I could be in Edmonton for Friday morning ..

he said that I could get my time off where I wanted and that he didn't want to hire any more trucks.

I called the guy that writes his checks the other day and this was the result

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't argue that point at all, I was thinking he was referring to if you crashed and injured/killed someone.....not for mechanical failure.

as for the question of why the driver should do it, because if you are running off road or any road for that matter, you better know what's what with your equipment. especially at -30....first and foremost, I want to get home. if you can't crawl underneath and check boxes for fluid when you see a leak, or repair an air line that's leaking or broken, you best find another occupation IMO....

Never trust a Mechanic to know how your truck drives and sounds it makes{ never met one that can set a clutch right}:beer:
Never trust a preload{ no 2 minds think the same}:beer:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Better planing by the customers, ie. the consultants order trucks last minute ASAP when they knew the well needed casing, or drilling fluids, or fuel etc.

Sometimes it's hard to tell who's lying, maybe the dispatcher, maybe the consultant ?? But somebody is lying.

Countless times a big rush load isn't even needed for another day or two... I worked all day and night to get a load out to a rig and they don't need it till tomorrow, hmm.

How about dispatchers sending the last truck back at night out only a few hrs later... Why you wonder, because he's already been there and that is easier for the dispatcher, easier than explaining to a different driver where the rig is...

A little more effort from the customers and dispatchers would help alot.

99% of the time I don't talk to the person who is using it I either talk to the supplier who wants it out of their railcar/tank/warehouse. Or I talk to some 20yr girl in a big downtown office in Calgary who I can say almost knows nothing about trucking. I am not "supposed" to talk to their customer....but if they supply a number I will talk to them because they are not "my" customer they are theirs

After the oilfield work dried up the last couple years most of my work and equipment has switched to the big plants. So the oilfield is kinda taking a backseat. Like I always tell the oilfield and their last minute stuff "I am trucking not pizza delivery you cannot phone and have it 30Min" They get huffy puffy and say this is the oil field we need it. it is a million dollars a day that we are down.....Then they go to my boss and say the same thing my boss comes to me and say the same thing ...millions dollars a day blah blah blah. I say ok who will lose more by not getting a load you tell me who doesn't get a load syncrude?, suncor?, CNRL?, IOL?, Shell? how much a day do you figure they lose being down a day......oilfield will always lose he says they can't phone a except it now.

I do not lie to drivers because it will bite you in the a$$ in the end.....I do not own a nut or bolt in the company so it does not benefit me all it does it drive a wedge between me and you. But most times the driver will always think you are lying.

I do send repeat drivers to the same place to make life easier...usually because of driver experience because they know where, when, who....if everyday you send a green driver to new LSD or plant and never to go there again it just opens the door for more problems.Not the mention all these stupid orientations at these plants now a days. To drive a truck on site you learn how to properly dig a trench, set up scafolding, steam pressures....

We put it lots of effort I have maps and site evaluations(Locations, directions, phone numbers, terrian, grades, tank capacities...) to every plant we go to if i don't have I google earth it, then it the drivers responsibility to fill 1 out and return it for the next drivers. We supply them in binders and on a computer for the drivers as well as all the MSDS. But most of the time a driver will be to lazy to look it up then bitch about the dispatchers. I run 38 trucks 150 trailers and 250 customers I help out as much as i can but i'm not driving the truck for you

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you and your company sound a little more organized than most.

In 07 when they changed the HOS our company made an effort.

Dispatch told a consultant "my guys already worked all day, I will send them at 3 am..." Well the next call came from Calgary and the dispatcher "farmed out" the loads to our competitor...

Well our competitor's trucks loaded the product and took the night off leaving town about 6 hrs later than we would've... Try and follow the rules and you look bad. Farm it out and look worse.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fawkin company that I was leasing to decided that I didn't need time off or adhere by the hours of service rules witch have very hefty penalties, if ignord

YOUR original post was about HOS rules...

Oh I get it, you want us to talk about you. :)

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess what iam trying to say or what i should have said, is dont jump on some of these contractor company owners too hard. A lot of us are guys that took every load and made every sacrafice there is to make to get the company into a position where its possible to refuse unsafe or over hour jobs.I have slept on more leases and missed more kids birthdays,than all the guys that work for me combined and it really makes me bitter when all i hear is none stop bitching from them. Sorry if i took out my personal bitch on you H2SNOW

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of us are guys that took every load and made every sacrafice there is to make to get the company into a position where its possible to refuse unsafe or over hour jobs.

And then Uncle Mullen rolls into town,:d buys your company...a couple mergers/adjustments later and your wondering who you can work for because you couldn't work for that last idiot :eek: :d

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know my way around a truck and have fixed things with tin foil, paper clips, and sharpened sticks :d (not kidding)

How many drivers could do a proper inspection of brake adjustment ?

I don't know much about the law, but I don't think anybody is going to legally responsible for anything they didn't sign.

The company can't be held responsible for me lying in my log book.
all infractions.....driver's fault or not.....go on a transport comany's safety certificate. too many and they will go before a board for review of running rights.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And some of us are National Safety Code too, even my Driver's Medical goes to the NSC.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my National safety Code is my responsiblity .....infractions get added up ..too many and no more NSC ...thankfully mine is squeaky clean and I intend to keep it that way.

PS Scotts ........it burned me a bit but I don't think that the full story was put out either my apologies .

I am a 3rd generation , grandpa drove for 50 years and died in the sleeper ....I aint going out like that .

I will run up and down the dempster no probs, I just am used to taking a day for myself and family and the next to look after my ride , then off I go again.

big difference between sittin on a lease some where, with hours away to get to your wife and kids .....I on the other hand can be 2000 miles away ....when something happens its a plane ticket home ..

I have priorities ..1) Family
2) Family
3) Family after that it doesn't matter ......

all of a sudden your kids are grown up and gone ....

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2) Family

All to true my friend. i live in constant regret of the years i missed trying to keep some consultant happy so i got to work another day.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
big difference between sittin on a lease some where, with hours away to get to your wife and kids .....I on the other hand can be 2000 miles away ....when something happens its a plane ticket home ..

2) Family

This is the one and only reason I am behind a desk.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I have priorities .
1) Family
2) Family

Probably the best priorities as a man....and probably the worst priorities as a truck driver

Maybe take time and step back until the kids are grown up....its only a job I must say a job I could never do and why.....family first

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I have been following this thred but still have not understood why all the rules in NSC are differnt when you go North of the sixty degrees...

Amazing how National Safety Code is US and Canada are Guidlines.

Each province or state can add or delete rules from this....

Why did they put NATIONAL into the tilte?

HOS change depending on location...HHMMMM!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cause you dont see too many dot once you hit the ice. its pretty much anything goes

Top Bottom