I told the guy that I was working for to go piss up a rope

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
an I am gettin sick and tired of takin it up the azz

fawkin company that I was leasing to decided that I didn't need time off or adhere by the hours of service rules witch have very hefty penalties, if ignord

the supposed general Manager has been blackmailing me into working over and above the general guidelines of service not to mention trying to blackmail me into complying with his bullchit !!

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of dirt does he have on you???? must be good to put up with the shat

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
no need to have to put up with that type of bullchit.

Employment standards are in place for a reason, your safety and the well being of your family is first & foremost.... your no good to them dead.

stand your ground, never known you to be the type to allow yourself to be pushed around.....

Hey OU812...... go piss up a rope

just sayin

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This new attitude from the corporations seems to be the new norm now that they have us all by the short and curlies.

I just had a conversation with my testers the other day. He said the Oil company and it is one of the majors made them travel to Grande Prairie each day. They were working close to Dawson Creek. They did not get paid sub or travel time. They were working 17 hours/day. The testers complained to his boss and the boss said "suck it up, we need the work".

What a friggen bunch of BS that is.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5 words

" I am out of hours" say those words and it is on the dispatchers head. He can not send you out knowing you have no hours.

Cant fire you , cant write you up for it, basically has to call the customer and tell them the load will be late

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5 words

" i am out of hours" say those words and it is on the dispatchers head. He can not send you out knowing you have no hours.

Cant fire you , cant write you up for it, basically has to call the customer and tell them the load will be late

x2 hmmmmmm

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
being an owner op , he basically said run or I don't need you ...like wtf

its my insurance on everything , truck, trailer, cargo , if I get caught I pay big time and get parked in some spot that I don't need to be in.

If I get in a wreck with my log book all screwy and kill somebody I get life in jail.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
being an owner op , he basically said run or I don't need you ...like wtf

its my insurance on everything , truck, trailer, cargo , if I get caught I pay big time and get parked in some spot that I don't need to be in.

If I get in a wreck with my log book all screwy and kill somebody I get life in jail.

Get it on tape , most cell phones have it

plausible deniability, he is the dispatcher , his ass is on the line.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the guy in edmonton who is pulling this sh1t is the general manager :rant:

Then if he is telling you this over the phone , easier to get on tape , and quietly tell him you are taping it .
Or as i know it has been done, take the load and sit till hours are there , he the dispatcher will have to explain it to the customer.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the guy in edmonton who is pulling this sh1t is the general manager :rant:

And dipatchers at times will try to force a driver to do it, he[the driver] has the RIGHT to refuse. I would look at your contract agreement. If there is nothing about saftey , there is another issue.

But it sounds like this is not a great place to work , when you are told my way or the hwy

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
From what you've explained, you have been hired by contract to provide a service.

If you're contracting to the company and the following applies:

- They don't take of EI, CPP, income tax from your pay
- You are responsible for CPP, incometax and you do not pay EI (meaning self-employed)
- You supply the truck/equipment/etc
- You are responsible for fuel/maintenance etc of your equipment
- You are responsible for WCB/insurance etc
- you work independently within the framework of the contract
- the company does not guarantee any loyalty, security or continuity beyond the paramaters of the contract.
- You have the ability to refuse work from the company
- You have the oportunity for profit and are exposed to a financial risk

As I understand it, if you've been hired to provide a service and the conditions above apply, you have a business relationship are not an employee and not subject to labor standards.

But, if the company collects EI, CPP and income tax on your behalf, no financial risk etc you may be an employee and as such covered by labor standards.

Check this link to help determine your relationship in the eyes of the goverment: www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4110/rc4110-08e.pdf

I own a company that hires contractors and have faced challenges by contractors at both the provincial and federal levels on a very similar issue. Basically it boils down to either you are an employee or self-employed in the eyes of the goverment. No matter what you feel you are, it's one or the other and the measurement of it is pretty clearly defined.

If you meet the test for employee, labor standards should apply and should be enforced. Or, you're not an employee and you'll have some decisions to make.

If it's determined you're an employee, it affects your tax stuff and this could be retroactive (I've seen it happen).

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what you've explained, you have been hired by contract to provide a service.

If you're contracting to the company and the following applies:

- They don't take of EI, CPP, income tax from your pay
- You are responsible for CPP, incometax and you do not pay EI (meaning self-employed)
- You supply the truck/equipment/etc
- You are responsible for fuel/maintenance etc of your equipment
- You are responsible for WCB/insurance etc
- you work independently within the framework of the contract
- the company does not guarantee any loyalty, security or continuity beyond the paramaters of the contract.
- You have the ability to refuse work from the company
- You have the oportunity for profit and are exposed to a financial risk

As I understand it, if you've been hired to provide a service and the conditions above apply, you have a business relationship are not an employee and not subject to labor standards.

But, if the company collects EI, CPP and income tax on your behalf, no financial risk etc you may be an employee and as such covered by labor standards.

Check this link to help determine your relationship in the eyes of the goverment: www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4110/rc4110-08e.pdf

I own a company that hires contractors and have faced challenges by contractors at both the provincial and federal levels on a very similar issue. Basically it boils down to either you are an employee or self-employed in the eyes of the goverment. No matter what you feel you are, it's one or the other and the measurement of it is pretty clearly defined.

If you meet the test for employee, labor standards should apply and should be enforced. Or, you're not an employee and you'll have some decisions to make.

If it's determined you're an employee, it affects your tax stuff and this could be retroactive (I've seen it happen).

well I am definately not an employee ..I have my own wcb, and look after everything myself .... I guess my only option is to find another job

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I am definately not an employee ..I have my own wcb, and look after everything myself .... I guess my only option is to find another job

Is their sticker on the door ? lease to ____ anywhere?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
5 words

" I am out of hours" say those words and it is on the dispatchers head. He can not send you out knowing you have no hours.

Cant fire you , cant write you up for it,

Yup as a dispatcher those words run the show.....I do not want your ticket I am as much responsible as you are. My problems is getting the guys to stop I have a bunch of money hungry guys that will not stop catching them is a pain......then I also have a few that home life get in the way of work ......I don't ever think I will ever get a perfect balance

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup as a dispatcher those words run the show.....I do not want your ticket I am as much responsible as you are. My problems is getting the guys to stop I have a bunch of money hungry guys that will not stop catching them is a pain......then I also have a few that home life get in the way of work ......I don't ever think I will ever get a perfect balance

Got some words for those guys also ,, dont come home hot nothing to go back out with yet.

No there will never be a perfect world for us. Lucky for me i have been on both ends, driver and dispatcher.

Top Bottom