Hydraulic spool repair shop recommendations in Edmonton.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a spool valve on my excavator , that is bypassing ( both ways )
It is a kyb valve so hard to get parts for / not impossible . Had it tested and it is bypassing , so installed new seals and it still is .
Looks good , no cracks and or visible signs of wear . Yet they don't really know why it is not working correctly...?
So there solution is to sell me a jobber valve and retrofit it ... which I would do as a last resort .. only .
Long story short .. can anyone suggest a more competent hydraulic repair shop , that can rebuild this or at least point out the reason for failure ?
Thanks in advance...
PSI is on my list to visit monday...

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a spool valve on my excavator , that is bypassing ( both ways )
It is a kyb valve so hard to get parts for / not impossible . Had it tested and it is bypassing , so installed new seals and it still is .
Looks good , no cracks and or visible signs of wear . Yet they don't really know why it is not working correctly...?
So there solution is to sell me a jobber valve and retrofit it ... which I would do as a last resort .. only .
Long story short .. can anyone suggest a more competent hydraulic repair shop , that can rebuild this or at least point out the reason for failure ?
Thanks in advance...
PSI is on my list to visit monday...

We used control flow hydraulics on West side when I used to work in Edmonton. Is the spool scored at all? Sticking when sliding it? Usually the spools to the body are mated machined surfaces. Relief valves ok?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Relief valves are fine . Tested good . No scoring . No visible crack . Not sticking , we do not have the specs for tolerances though , but they appear fine & not worn .
The current shop is at a loss ... so am
I .

Justinvr81

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the reliefs are good and no visible scoring on spool or housing, I would be taking another look at the cylinder

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Relief valves are fine . Tested good . No scoring . No visible crack . Not sticking , we do not have the specs for tolerances though , but they appear fine & not worn .
The current shop is at a loss ... so am
I .

Those problems can be a real pain. Cracks can be hard to see on internal casting too.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Already redid both cylinders ( blade) so I know they are good . I am leaning to towards a hairline crack in casting .as well .
Looks like a replacement spool is in order . Just a tough area to work & fab in because of a zero tailswing machine .
Doable , but no fun . But I was just curious if there was something I or the shop who has it now is missing ...
Also at what point do you say to hell with it and put a new one in , I guess .

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is who has it now lol.. they are baffled ...
I have a big bill with them now ,and all they have told me so far is ... it is not working . I knew that allready, that's why I took it in .
They did bench test it to confirm that though to be fair .

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just asked my brother who is a heavy duty mechanic and this is the answer he had for me ...."Haha I just had one like that on a John Deere mini hoe that we had to replace the valve block the spool would ride in, no visible sign of a problem to be found. The spool was fine."

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But we did test the spool itself , and it failed . It did bypass hyd fluid .. both ways ...

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He was curious what it controls? Anyway he actually went back and read your original post properly and said You should talk to Gir Del hydraulic services in edmonton

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a separate spool that controls the blade , it is not on the main valve bank .
Thanks for the recommendation.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you ever need a good mobile heavy duty mechanic service let me know, they are reasonably priced and customers are very happy with their work

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But we did test the spool itself , and it failed . It did bypass hyd fluid .. both ways ...

If you have the valve out and bench tested and it failed that kind of eliminates anything but the valve. Only other thing I can think of is failed check valve within valve section, or if it doesn't have circuit reliefs I've seen the O-rings on plug for relief port fail and cause bypassing. Without knowing type of machine or a pic of the valve is kinda tough. Good luck

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It does have circuit reliefs and they worked as supposed too.
We did put new o rings in the valve body retested & it still failed / no noticeable difference .
Hairline crack ?
I will take it to gir del , I have lost confidence in irock ...

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gir del for sure fast and reasonable they did a good job on my hydraylic pump on gravel truck.

Top Bottom