Hunter Question: what to get for a new rifle

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my Browning 30-06 A-bolt medallion with scope, shoots straight, deer drop fast, and can still drop moose or elk, 308 with be small for elk etc...., however still do-able. My dad's gun is 308, he has shot elk with it, but not at far range, and he has to track for a bit.

With todays advanced powders the difference between the 308 and 30-06 are minimal at best. Its about shot placement and bullet design more than anything. 30-06 is a nato but so is 308 (7.62NATO). Had a 308 for long lange coyote hunting, now have a sako in 300wsm with a zeiss scope with the rapid z600. Awsome combination, 165gr barnes TSX handloaded to 3200fps.

Last edited:

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
type of ammunition is just as important. i shoot 30-06, 150grain for deer and dropped my first moose this year with 165grain. I use to use hornady which makes a decent load but switched to Barnes this year and very happy i did. my bro shoots a 270 and sceptically bought 130 grain barnes for it because the fella we always deal with at the store gauranteed it would drop any game as well. my brother also dropped his first moose this year as well.

wyzguyz

Reaction score
30-06 has killed everything in the bush. Probably one of the most popular caliber's out there and is a great choice for big game....as long as you haven't fallen into the long range shooting craze. Some will disagree but this is a solid 300 yard cartriage but pushing it to distances over that it becomes a falling rock. If there is one piece of advice i can give is don't cheap out and buy a pile of junk. you get what you pay for in firearms and optics and making the initial investment will stand the test of time!

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30-06 has killed everything in the bush. Probably one of the most popular caliber's out there and is a great choice for big game....as long as you haven't fallen into the long range shooting craze. Some will disagree but this is a solid 300 yard cartriage but pushing it to distances over that it becomes a falling rock. If there is one piece of advice i can give is don't cheap out and buy a pile of junk. you get what you pay for in firearms and optics and making the initial investment will stand the test of time!

So in other words buy Browning and avoid Remington like the plague?

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So in other words buy Browning and avoid Remington like the plague?

I sure like my Browning 30-06, however my remington semi auto shot gun works just fine, same with my Winchester 3030....if your not a sniper by trade, you probably could buy a remington, mooseburg, savage, etc....your still going to kill game with it......If I see a deer over 350 yards, most of the time I don't shoot....its too far and I don't want to track it forever...

My brothers gun is a 300 mag, savage, synthetic stock with scope, $400 special at wholesale, ugly looking gun if you ask me, but every years he drops deep no problem, and same with elk if he is drawn.....

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im very fond of my Savage 300 wsm. its good for long range or short. im hitting pop cans at 750 yards with it no prob. however I have invested alot of money into a very nice Ziess scope. but the Savage has the accutrigger which can be set up so nicely. I have mine set so u just barely touch the trigger and it fires. so with this you dont get trigger pull from trying to squeeze a heavy trigger. ive shot several moose and lots of deer with this rifle and it knocks em flat on there ass but doesnt destroy half the animal like a 300 mag would. i would also recomend a 243. a very good reliable gun also.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a new weatherby 270, threw a nice nikon 4-12-50 scope and the clip kit on er and its wicked lil gun, also shoot a older savage 300 win mag. Just got my bull moose last week (47 inch) one shot with the 300 dropped right there. Little heavy for deer thats why i got the 270.
Good luck

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All this talk of guns makes we want to get back into hunting. I haven't dropped anything since I left the East Coast. Actually my rifles are all still in storage there. (hoping someday the gun registry goes away)

I know this is about newer metal, but my favorite rifle was always my model 99 .300 Savage. It was a great all around rifle. Dear, bear, even moose. My favorite dear rifle was my savage .250-3000, but stupid me sold it.

If any one ever finds an early model model 99 .250-3000 send me a message. And not the 99f, has a shorter barrel.

allthrottle

Reaction score
.270 short mag works great for me on deer. Shoots flat out to 250 for me. Have t had to track any deer I have got with it.

Top Bottom