How many B trains are out there?

tbosch

Reaction score
I'm wondering how many people are running fifth wheels and other trailers behind their trucks. Currently i'm running an 08 dodge 2500 diesel. I have a 26' holiday trailer currently but am looking at getting a fifth wheel of similar length so I can pull my boat, quad trailer etc behind. Anyone thats doing this have any pros or cons comments to running such a rig?

trailrider

Reaction score
I run a triple haul, I tow with either a 08 3500 Dodge or a 05 2500 Dodge both Cummins, I pull a 1999 25ft fifth wheel about 5500lbs dry and a 18.5ft Crestliner boat about 2200lbs dry. First thing I would say is make sure your trailer is at least twice the weight of your boat to avoid the boat fishtailing out of control. Next sug. is install a leveling kit on the front end about $130, and easy to install yourself, took me and my 15year old son about 1.5 hours. I towed without the leveling kit for the first year and it made a big difference on how the truck(2500) sat and handled with the kit, well worth the time and $$. Next sug. if you go with a triple is practice driving it on the back roads when you feel at ease driveing on gravel you are good for the highway, have seen alot of people that are okay on the highway but freekout as soon as they have to drive on gravel, usualy end up driving 20kms and piss off all other people trying to get to the lake. Next would be get a good gravel flap for between the trailer and the boat, And watch your overall length I believe Alberta has a MAX length of 65.5ft the shortest in Canada. Lastly spend a few extra $$$ and buy a double swivel fifth wheel hitch helps with the handling on uneven ground and avoids snapping hitch pins. Hope this helps Trailrider

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken it is illegal in alot of provinces out east and in BC also.

tbosch

Reaction score
I run a triple haul, I tow with either a 08 3500 Dodge or a 05 2500 Dodge both Cummins, I pull a 1999 25ft fifth wheel about 5500lbs dry and a 18.5ft Crestliner boat about 2200lbs dry. First thing I would say is make sure your trailer is at least twice the weight of your boat to avoid the boat fishtailing out of control. Next sug. is install a leveling kit on the front end about $130, and easy to install yourself, took me and my 15year old son about 1.5 hours. I towed without the leveling kit for the first year and it made a big difference on how the truck(2500) sat and handled with the kit, well worth the time and $$. Next sug. if you go with a triple is practice driving it on the back roads when you feel at ease driveing on gravel you are good for the highway, have seen alot of people that are okay on the highway but freekout as soon as they have to drive on gravel, usualy end up driving 20kms and piss off all other people trying to get to the lake. Next would be get a good gravel flap for between the trailer and the boat, And watch your overall length I believe Alberta has a MAX length of 65.5ft the shortest in Canada. Lastly spend a few extra $$$ and buy a double swivel fifth wheel hitch helps with the handling on uneven ground and avoids snapping hitch pins. Hope this helps Trailrider

Thanks for all the tips Trail. A lot of things mentioned i hadn't even thought about. My setup will be nearly identical to yours with a 25 or so foot fifth wheel and 18' boat. Should be good to go. I have lots of experience trailering all sorts of equipment but never a triple. Should be interesting.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have good tires and brakes on all units, a blow out while towing a triple is no fun. Take your unit out on a highway with little traffic and practice your braking. Start real, real slow and hammer the brakes so you know what to expect if you find yourself in an emergency situation. Work your way up to higher speeds, as you will be towing slower than you normally would you will not believe how many people will be cutting you off. Practice backing up all three units it's not that hard. If you can't see your boat behind your fifth wheel install markers so you can. If you have tandem trailers then whipping shouldn't be a problem, if you have single axle trailers try to minimize the tongue weight on the back of the fifth wheel and most important go slow. Doing this is only illegal in BC, all other jurisdictions in North America allow this, ball to ball towing is illegal in most of Canada.

randster

Reaction score
[ Doing this is only illegal in BC, all other jurisdictions in North America allow this, ball to ball towing is illegal in most of Canada.[/QUOTE]

I believe it's also illegal in Quebec. I also understand that there is no stipulations on the second unit being a ball hook up. (I have seen some tripples out there with two ball hook ups) The requirement says the second unit has to have it's own brake system, and of course the over all lenght. 20 meters, witch is about 65 feet as you said.
Most people tripple with fifth wheels because it is much more stable.
I pull a 25ft. fifth wheel & 16ft. boat. It is 64 ft. from front bumper to the prop on the boat. Takes some getting used to but can be done safely.
(The info is linked to a previous thread in this forum)

randster

Reaction score
I found the link from the previous thread,as mentioned above.

Last edited:

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found the link from the previous thread,as mentioned above.

Well there's a useful document, kind cuts through all the rumours I've heard over the years. I see it is legal in Quebec but several places I though it was legal turn out to be not legal. Thanks randster.

FYI I've been pulling a triple with an F 350, 28' fifth wheel and 25' boat hitch to prop for 9 years now without a problem, I know I'm a tad long.

Hitchguy

Reaction score
Just make sure your trailer gets a proper hitch installed by a qualified guy!!!

Hitchguy

Reaction score
Yep Hitchworks in Leduc 780-986-5755 Trevor thanks I have done lots of them!

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pull a 25' with a sled/ATV trailer behind. First trip I loaded the ATVs back so as to put less weight on the rear of the RV. This made for an interesting trip, mostly down the long, steep hills. I always put more weight on the rear of the RV now and have had no problems.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there's a useful document, kind cuts through all the rumours I've heard over the years. I see it is legal in Quebec but several places I though it was legal turn out to be not legal. Thanks randster.

FYI I've been pulling a triple with an F 350, 28' fifth wheel and 25' boat hitch to prop for 9 years now without a problem, I know I'm a tad long.

Yes it does cut through the rumours for sure...some of those provinces kind of surprised me. You said in an earlier post Orrin it was legal in all North America...I think you would be surprised @ how many states this is illegal in also, If I can find the document with the U.S. towing laws I will post it here.

farmboy020

Reaction score
I have a friend that owns a trucking company. Ont heir way to out west last year he was pulling a b train he was using his pete wiht a 24ft? trailer witha twelve foot quad trailer. He called pulled over by the DOT on his way home he got a ticket for being over length. This means he can nto pull his b train wiht his pete wiht all the extra gears for slowing down and so much more power and a better feel of having control. But he is allowed to pull it wiht his duramax. Haha

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a question, but how does the leveling kit in the front end help in handling ?? Thinking about installing one but just trying to understand the physics of it

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been pulling with this set up for about 8 years.. The total length is 63 ft. from the front bumper of the truck to the rear of the quad trailer.
I have turned it around on a "T" intersection 2 or 3 times and it was not really that difficult. Cross my fingers that I have not got in a bad situation or had a wreck.
The main thing to remember is take your time, drive slow and cautiously and always allow time for stopping also.

Attachments

• 008 [].JPG
    008 [].JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 60

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been pulling a 27' fifth wheel and quad trailer or boat sense 2004 and never had a issue, the only thing I did notice is when pulling with my single axle quad trailer the quad trailer swings around a bit, pulled a double axle Triton quad trailer and that thing pulled straight and backed up way nicer

Attachments

• n741625169_138834_424.jpg
    n741625169_138834_424.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 54
  • n741625169_138835_753.jpg
    n741625169_138835_753.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 41

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I pull a 28ft. and either a 17ft. quad trailer or my 25ft. boat trailer. I'm 67.5ft. long (illegal) with the boat, have never been stopped though. :d Only suggestion I have is put a surge brake on your boat. I don't have a leveler??? for my fifth wheel and not sure what that is? Airbags?? In any case I drive slow and never had a problem.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i pull a 30' 5th and a 19" boat in the summer going fishing and to the lake partying some times, im way over length, 70 feet but have never been stopped. go slow and drive cautiously you wont have a issue.
set your trailer brakes up a little bit higher and make sure the surge brakes on the boat trailer are working
combined weight
8800 lbs truck
3500 lbs boat
11000 5er
23300 lbs

still within my weight rating

farmboy020

Reaction score
Hey guys here is a couple of pics of my friends b train that i was talking about. Just thought you would like to see em.

Attachments

• b train.jpg
    b train.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 43
  • b train 2.jpg
    b train 2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom