How Cold is Too Cold?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Left my Yamaha Grizzly quad outside last night and when I went to plough the driveway and pond this morning it started ok but sounded a bit grumpy about being left outside. Temperature was -27 here.

At what point is it too cold to sled? (both from a human standpoint and the sled's mechanicals)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
When I was in the NWT, temperature wasn't really a concern. The main fear was a breakdown and having survival gear. Up on Banks Island we travelled with komatics (sp) or big sleighs with a tent, stoves, sleeping bags, etc. in case of a breakdown.

Around here it is pretty lame; -20 seems to be the limit for locals but the flatlanders don't seem to mind the colder temps.

I am into that below -20 grouping as I know I can wait a could of days and it will be warmer.

Regarding the quad, do you have synthetic oil? I have found it does help it start easier.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Synthetic oil for sure......as well throw a tarp over it and a trouble light or a old string of Christmas lights tucked up to the motor.....it will luv you for it....

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-20 and below and the fun meter starts going down. I remember heading home from Revy 2 years ago in Dec and as we were passing the quartz parking lot it said -34 and there were boys out there with sleds started. I remember thinking those guys have to be weak between the ears to even attempt the cabin. Ive seen way to many small break downs in the hills which are no big deal at milder temps but at -34 your flirting with the elements, and being from McMurray we are exposed to them alot.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must be getting old. Minus 10 is my limit. Any colder than that and I'm warmin' the couch. Takes 2 guys to start my sled at that temp anyway. I luv spring riding! :D

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We left Grande Cache 2 years ago and hit -40 halfway to Hinton. We were meeting a group coming from Regina in Hinton; and heading to McBride. When we unloaded at Belle it was -27. We managed to make a 3 day trip of it with a few small frost bitten areas on cheeks and no breakdowns. After that trip I set my personal "no ride temp" at -20. Any colder than that and I'll pass.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Synthetic oil for sure......as well throw a tarp over it and a trouble light or a old string of Christmas lights tucked up to the motor.....it will luv you for it....

I know Arctic Cat makes a circulating block heater kit for their quads, maybe Yamaha does the same? If not I'm sure the cat one would fit!

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was in the NWT, temperature wasn't really a concern. The main fear was a breakdown and having survival gear. Up on Banks Island we travelled with komatics (sp) or big sleighs with a tent, stoves, sleeping bags, etc. in case of a breakdown.

Around here it is pretty lame; -20 seems to be the limit for locals but the flatlanders don't seem to mind the colder temps.

I am into that below -20 grouping as I know I can wait a could of days and it will be warmer.

Regarding the quad, do you have synthetic oil? I have found it does help it start easier.

You really get around! What were you doing up north? Working or 'just for fun'?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually put the Grizzly in the shop but we had a lot of snow yesterday and after ploughing the underside was packed with snow and that would have made a big wet mess in the shop.

The windchill factor when sledding seems to be the killer. Machines don't really don't care what the wind chill is but my personal bits and pieces sure do!

dony409

Reaction score
there is no too cold for a sled as long as its well maintained and not beat on before warmed up! but you are talking about a quad! there also is no too cold but if you beat on it in the snow (or go plowing) make sure you pull of all the snow in the axles or youll be replacing them! also warming the up alot is major

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there also is no too cold but if you beat on it in the snow (or go plowing) make sure you pull of all the snow in the axles or youll be replacing them! also warming the up alot is major

What happens when a person doesn't pull all the snow off the axles?

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Left my Yamaha Grizzly quad outside last night and when I went to plough the driveway and pond this morning it started ok but sounded a bit grumpy about being left outside. Temperature was -27 here.

At what point is it too cold to sled? (both from a human standpoint and the sled's mechanicals)
If you are running synthetic you should be ok to about -35.

dony409

Reaction score
also remeber to check how cold your antifreeze is good to the measurer is like $5 at can tire and can easily prevent cracked heads! but you shoul;d be good for anyt temperature as long as you run the proper viscosity and weight of oil! and you should always runs synthetic in a small performance engine

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything below -35 Starts to get really tough on equipment.once you get into the -40's I've seen sticks on hoes crack, seals on rams start pulling out ect..

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it comes to sledding I will ride almost any temp, Quadding I will say -20, as I said no yesteday when I had planned on going out.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its to cold when your milking the cow and squirting the milk across your arm and packing it in like cord wood and then thawing it out.lol

Top Bottom