How are your Road maintenance providers

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to Vernon and back this morning BRUTAL. Black ice the whole way and no sand trucks to be seen. Counted 8 vehicles in the ditch and 3 were rollovers. Was halfway back before I saw a sand truck. Can't believe how incompetent they were.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to vernon as well Brandon and came up to the accident at the Spall Industrial park (about 7:45). Had to pull over for the ambulance and when I went to resume truck basically went sideways. Never seen any sand trucks. Totally unacceptable!

Went to Vernon and back this morning BRUTAL. Black ice the whole way and no sand trucks to be seen. Counted 8 vehicles in the ditch and 3 were rollovers. Was halfway back before I saw a sand truck. Can't believe how incompetent they were.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not defending whatever outfit takes care of the roads their but in this temperature when a sand truck does put material down on ice all it takes is one speeding semi to blow it off the road. See it all the time and I put a lot of miles on.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The difference between when the government maintained the roads and now is that the government didn't care what it cost to sand/salt the roads. If it needed it, it was put on. if they went over budget, all that happened was that they got a bigger budget next year.
Now the private contractors have to provide a service that is within the confines of their budget/contract. If they spend a boat load more on sand/salt/gravel, they have to make up for it somewhere. Also, they get by with the minimum amount of equipment needed to fulfil their contract. If they get slammed by weather they have no buffer to call up other than to hire private contractors, all of which have to meet the requirements of the contract as stipulated by the government. Those contractors charge a premium for that.
All of this is a negative aspect of privatizing road maintenance. Most of the time its a financial benefit to the provinces to do this, but sometimes the result is a degradation in service.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a contractor I'm so tired of saftey being rammed down our throats. Icbc/rcmp is on this campaign, Wcb is all over our trucks about safe driving practices and road conditions. Bc forest council tells us we need to be responsible for our resource roads and workers to and from work. All aspects of goverment implements saftey but when it comes to our main road ways is where it's left.
we all need to be responsible for our actions but when we are served a $hitty road bad things are going to happen. Sad to see the saying that applys do as I say not as I do.
its a short winter, just keep our road safe to be on. the taxes that are paid out in this province we should have heated roads !!!

Top Bottom