House Shingles

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My option ... Go back to the roofer and tell him he failed miserably , looks like about 1/4 inch overhang there which does not meet minimum code requirement ... Just putting it out there, no need to jimmy rig it, just tell the dude he did it wrong plain and simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a separate issue, but here is some of the other work im not
impressed with
SSPX0062.jpg

There is about a dozen or so places nail's are exposed like this.

SSPX0061.jpg
This vent boot is the original from when the house was built in 73
The last 2 roofer's just reused it.I'm sure when the shingles were done
in the 90's this boot was still in good shape. But it's pretty old and rotten
now. Why would they reuse it? it's 43 year's old FFS......................

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My option ... Go back to the roofer and tell him he failed miserably , looks like about 1/4 inch overhang there which does not meet minimum code requirement ... Just putting it out there, no need to jimmy rig it, just tell the dude he did it wrong plain and simple

Thank's for the input,if it does indeed not meet min. code.
What can be done? Start all over?

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right outa the abc , unfortunately the fix requires that first row of shingles to be extended down 3/4", a roofer can do that without doing the entire roof .. However then that first row is out of sync with the above course and so on, the flashing should have been replaced , just because of the age, I don't screw around with crap like that if make him repair the roof properly or take it the courts

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know what the pitch is.But anyone had an idea as to how the problem can be
solved now? IMO it's his problem to fix,not mine.I'm going to try to get in touch with a building inspector and find out what some of the codes are. (as far as shingle overhang,drip edge and that fibre cloth stuff I see some guy's covering the entire roof with)
I found some left over vynal door cap stuff left over from garage build and IMO
it would work almost perfect to solve the problem at hand.

View attachment 197515

View attachment 197516

View attachment 197517

View attachment 197518

View attachment 197519

If similar sized tin pieces are available in the same dimension's, That would be
a better option than vynal I assume.
Anyone else have other option to fix my problem?
Thank's
No no no ..... Get it done right !! That will make it ten times worse !!
just peel of the first few courses and peel and stick it and reshingle .., not you , but a real roofer !!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally would have replaced the vent, but beyond that that's a horrible hack job around it. And those nail holes should all be filled to make sure they don't leak. IMO only proper fix is remove starter and first row and extend down to proper overhang, but in order to make it look proper you should remove probably 2nd and 3rd row to split the amount you pull them down to be very minimal. I like to go 1 1/4" just to make sure no water is going back, it's also a bit of insurance on a old roof if it's not straight.

I'm no roofer, but holy fawk that's a ****ty job. Especially for someone who calls themselves a roofer.....

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the going price/square. I know it is dependent on gables and the quality of shingles but I am looking for a ball park price. Provide shingle quality in the price please......
Depends on values, height, etc. Post pics ect but most times 4500 to 6500

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No no no ..... Get it done right !! That will make it ten times worse !!
just peel of the first few courses and peel and stick it and reshingle .., not you , but a real roofer !!

Thank's for the input guy's,A call will be made to the guy tom.and see where it goes from there.
If you shingle a roof from the bottom up, I don't understand how you can remove the bottom 2 or 3 row's
/slide them all down a tad/then renail? Wouldn't you have to have to fold the above row up to the point
of dammaging it in order to re nail??

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a little tricky but can be done if your careful

gforce_15

Reaction score
I'm building a new house with attached garage and was blown away by the quote I got from one roofing company in my area. Single story house and garage about 2900 sq feet combined, 4/12 pitch for $16,000. Granted there are a fair amount of peaks and valleys, I feel this is crazy high for asphalt shingles and not even having to remove old shingles

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

[h=2]SS-2.4.3 DRIP EDGE FLASHING[/h][h=4].1[/h]Pre-finished or galvanized sheet metal drip edge flashing shall be installed along roof eaves and rakes. The vertical flange shall be spaced a minimum distance of 6 mm (1/4”) from the fascia face. The deck flange shall extend a minimum distance of 75 mm (3”) on to the roof decking and shall be nailed at maximum 400 mm (16”) centres prior to shingle application.

[h=2]SS-2.5 UNDERLAYMENT[/h][h=2]SS-2.5.1 MATERIALS[/h][h=4].1[/h]The field of the decking shall be completely covered with a minimum of one (1) ply of CSA No. 15 non-perforated asphalt saturated felt prior to application of the shingles.

I found these 2 section's interesting because 1- the roof edge flashing is tight to the facia and
2 because I reinsulated the attic last fall after the shingles were done and the roofer's had 1/3
of the roof vent's covered by shingle's.So, while I was in the attic, I used a knife to cut the shingles to the plywood hole size and the shingle was directly on the plywood, there was no
underlayment . So, If that's code now...............
We are going to have a BIG PROBLEM when the roofer get's here to have a look at the
eve dripping problem.
Thank You very much for the post Storm.
PS anyone know a link to Sask codes? I am 1 block from the AB border.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1,000 sq foot house with a 4/12 pitch would be how many sq foot of roof ?

I have a few shingles just starting to curl on the south side, how long before I need to do the roof ? I heard one guy say that he just did the south side of his roof because the north side would last twice as long...just cheap or is that right ?

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1,000 sq foot house with a 4/12 pitch would be how many sq foot of roof ?

I have a few shingles just starting to curl on the south side, how long before I need to do the roof ? I heard one guy say that he just did the south side of his roof because the north side would last twice as long...just cheap or is that right ?

You will need to supply the measurements with the overhang included. What style of roof?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contractor was here today and said there is nothing wrong with the sewer stack boot or the way it was installed.
He also said there is nothing wrong with the exposed nail's between the row's."it's normal and happen's all of the time"
The only thing he is prepared to do is install a drip edge to patch the leaking eve problem.
I have a building inspector coming over to see if he can document the mistakes and help to get the contractor to fix them.
Here we go, another gong show about to unfold.
FFS I'm pissed...............

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you expect to hear him tell you he really has no clue where the nails are supposed to go on a shingle .....
Good luck , his work is a joke ...

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you expect to hear him tell you he really has no clue where the nails are supposed to go on a shingle .....
Good luck , his work is a joke ...

I thought maybe he had some lackie's working that day and since he is the owner, he would inspect the work
and admit some repair's need to be done.I looked up under the starter strip and seen the felt butt's up to the
roof edge trim but does not overlap it.This is 100% not up to code,the inspector already is onboard and agreed
with that much. I didn't expect a long time local contractor to show up, listen to the list of possible mistakes/code
infraction's and flat out lie and say "it's all good".
I have contacted another roofer to come give a quote on what is not up to code and what it's going to cost to
fix it properly.
I can't even think straight I'm so pissed off at a guy that would lie the way he did.................

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm building a new house with attached garage and was blown away by the quote I got from one roofing company in my area. Single story house and garage about 2900 sq feet combined, 4/12 pitch for $16,000. Granted there are a fair amount of peaks and valleys, I feel this is crazy high for asphalt shingles and not even having to remove old shingles

That is very high lol

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad I could give you some insight :) , done a few hundred roofs now lol, make him fix the f ups

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone done a rubber roof when we built our house 9 years ago we went with recycled tire roof that looks like cedar shakes, house has 8/12 and garage 4/12 we installed our self with some relative help,house is 1400 and garage 900 sq. ft. price was about 1-1/2 times more for material, warranty 50 years hail just bounces off it very easy to install,wife and i did the garage ourself in one weekend, i have done asphalt shingles and the rubber ones were easer and you don't need special trusses

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not me no, I stick to what I'm comfortable with lol

Top Bottom