House Shingles

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever you pay it worth every penny! I did my own and wow did it suck! Between the sunburn and sore back I never felt so much pain lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No doubt. I am having my house painted right now as well. It is a big job that would take me forever to do. Add in my full time job and it would make for a tiring summer with very little time to play with the sxs and camping. I am redoing my deck plus working on the yard and organizing the garage. That is enough to keep me busy.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No doubt. I am having my house painted right now as well. It is a big job that would take me forever to do. Add in my full time job and it would make for a tiring summer with very little time to play with the sxs and camping. I am redoing my deck plus working on the yard and organizing the garage. That is enough to keep me busy.
Shingling is easy Kieth, take a week off and do it yourself. You're young enough to recover ;)

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The code requirement is 3/4 inch overhang for the shingles , along with ice and water protection at the eves. Done hundreds of roofs, not a problem yet , looking for more clients right now too

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$220/ square covers the cost of the shingles, labour and replacement with 30 year architectural shingles, lots of folks charging 230-250 / square and doing crap work out there pisses me off

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$220/ square covers the cost of the shingles, labour and replacement with 30 year architectural shingles, lots of folks charging 230-250 / square and doing crap work out there pisses me off

$220 a square foot?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
13490813_10207618655279253_3110612383612767091_o.jpg

13474945_10207618654279228_1265157098043264673_o.jpg

1'st pic is easier to see what is what. The way I described it before was wrong. I thought the tin that
is slid approx 2" under bottom row of shingles was continued down to bottom of facia and wrapped
underneath.They are 2 separate pieces.Is that brown tin thing considered a drip edge or is it just to
hold the facia tin tight at the top?
As stated before south side of house has 1/2"- 5/8" shingle overhang past the rolled edge of that tin
facia thing above the eves trough. Top edge of eve is NOT behind it, but under it.wherever eve tin is not
super tight to facia. water is running down facia behind eve. Major PITA. for a brand new roof.

I sure aint a shingle expert, but 4 guy's, 4 hour's for 5K sure doesn't sound "cheep" like some of you
are saying.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 197502

View attachment 197503

1'st pic is easier to see what is what. The way I described it before was wrong. I thought the tin that
is slid approx 2" under bottom row of shingles was continued down to bottom of facia and wrapped
underneath.They are 2 separate pieces.Is that brown tin thing considered a drip edge or is it just to
hold the facia tin tight at the top?
As stated before south side of house has 1/2"- 5/8" shingle overhang past the rolled edge of that tin
facia thing above the eves trough. Top edge of eve is NOT behind it, but under it.wherever eve tin is not
super tight to facia. water is running down facia behind eve. Major PITA. for a brand new roof.

I sure aint a shingle expert, but 4 guy's, 4 hour's for 5K sure doesn't sound "cheep" like some of you
are saying.

Sounds like your eavestrough is at such a steep angle/slope that it drops down below the dripedge at the lower end.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It took them 4 hours to remove the old shingles and install new paper, seal the roof and install new shingles?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I/2 inch overhang is not near enough......go at least an inch to the edge of the drip edge . From the actual facia I like to be 1.5 inchs away . Bearing in mind the drip edge is included in that and supporting the furthest art of the shingle . What is your roof pitch ? This factors in to it as well ....

Last edited:

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way I figure it this is what happened......
The guy that did the eve's many years ago also put on the facia tin and
roof edge flashing, I think( don't know 100%) he did the roof edge flashing
wrong by not leaving a gap behind it (it is tight to the facia tin) But this never
caused a problem because the old shingles hung over far enough to not allow
water to wick back up get behind the eve.
Now... the guy's that came and did the new shingle job didn't care to notice
or fix the unproperly installed roof edge trim and they did not overhang the
shingles far enough to "fix" the problem.(like it was before)
So.......... How do you fix the problem now ?????????????????

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chances are the drip edge is fine . Other than the fact they did not leave enough overhang ....
did they do a peel and stick ? To the drip edge ?
what is your roof pitch ??

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the pics looks as though ice and water was applied , but it's hard to tell, personally I overhang the shingle 3/4 past the leading edge of the roof edge, I have found that going anymore then that then the edges of shingles tend to droop and sag into the evestrough

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While they might sag a little , they will never bleed back though ... But with the drip edge it works . 5/8 is way short imo , especially if you are a 4/12or less .

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know what the pitch is.But anyone had an idea as to how the problem can be
solved now? IMO it's his problem to fix,not mine.I'm going to try to get in touch with a building inspector and find out what some of the codes are. (as far as shingle overhang,drip edge and that fibre cloth stuff I see some guy's covering the entire roof with)
I found some left over vynal door cap stuff left over from garage build and IMO
it would work almost perfect to solve the problem at hand.

SSPX0056.jpg

SSPX0060.jpg

SSPX00590000.jpg

SSPX0058.jpg

SSPX0057.jpg

If similar sized tin pieces are available in the same dimension's, That would be
a better option than vynal I assume.
Anyone else have other option to fix my problem?
Thank's

Top Bottom