hot water tank needed

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. And further to this most municipalities will allow you to pull a gas permit as a homeowner, allowing you to do almost any gasfitting work to your own home. I re-piped my entire home to allow for all natural gas appliances.
That’s interesting to hear….I thought a plumber had to do all the gas work….I’m assuming someone qualified somewhere has to do a leak test and inspection?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting to hear….I thought a plumber had to do all the gas work….I’m assuming someone qualified somewhere has to do a leak test and inspection?

Onus is all on the person doing the work (homeowner if they are doing the work) to complete properly, but yes an air test is supposed to be performed, pressure and duration is determined by the gas code, CSA B149.1. Once all work is done the municipality is supposed to send an inspector to check the work, same with any gas work done by a plumber. My inspection was 5 minutes, and no proof of test or anything else was asked for. I probably could have had an open end for gas to leak out and the inspector wouldn't have caught it.

Some municipalities are getting sticky on what they will allow a homeowner to do, most don't allow DIY solar PV installs. Some of it is out of safety, some isn't, some trades unions complain because their members loose work is another factor.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Onus is all on the person doing the work (homeowner) to complete properly, but yes an air test is supposed to be performed, pressure and duration is determined by the gas code, CSA B149.1. Once all work is done the municipality is supposed to send an inspector to check the work, same with any gas work done by a plumber. My inspection was 5 minutes, and no proof of test or anything else was asked for. I probably could have had an open end for gas to leak out and the inspector wouldn't have caught it.

Some municipalities are getting sticky on what they will allow a homeowner to do, most don't allow DIY solar PV installs. Some of it is out of safety, some isn't, some trades unions complain because their members loose work is another factor.
Cool thanks! Do you know if this is a province wide thing or just select municipalities?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks! Do you know if this is a province wide thing or just select municipalities?

NP. It can be Alberta wide, but the municipality has the final say, so best to check with them.

For instance in Grande Prairie a homeowner can do all their own gas fitting work.
In Edmonton a homeowner can only do modifications or renovations to an existing system.
In Calgary a gas permit can only be pulled by a certified gasfitter.

IMO Calgary has the worst system, because a homeowner will likely just do the work themselves without inspection or regard for the codes. At least in the other 2 there is supposed to be some kind of inspection afterword.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Parkland county use to, maybe still allows homeowner permits on all mechanical for new builds electrical, plumbing, and hvac which is kinda crazy. One caveat with Edmonton though is you must live at the home where the work is being done, can't be a rental guessing many other places are like that too.

Makes no sense to require it for water heater, it's so easy to do. Not like many don't also install their own garage heaters too. Done both and no boom boom yet.

Top Bottom