On Demand Hot H20 Descaler

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look for suggestions on a good commercial grade descaler for our on demand hot H2O system, and where to get it in Edmonton or online.

Thanks!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the material of construction? If it is aluminum, be very careful as there is not much you can use. Inhibited hydrochloric acid is commonly used for descaling of steel tubed boilers at 8%. Copper is okay too if you do not exceed 5% and keep the contact time short.

There are organic acids available too but more expensive but safer to use.

I would never use an on-demand heater without a water softener. Way too much heat exchange to keep it scale free.

I have been in the water treatment business since 1990 and have descaled several commercial and industrial boilers.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We have a navien and used the above procedure it worked great, do it every year now. Vinegar is all you need.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I flushed my rinnia using cleaning vinegar. Its a bit stronger than normal vinegar. I had a big plastic tub about the size of a clothes hamper. Filled it about half full of vinegar. Then I used a submersible pump I had lying around hooked it up to circulate throughout the coil and back into the container. Did that for probably an hour

Changed the vinegar out and another hour. Worked pretty slick. Plus the pump itself makes the vinegar get quite warm, so that probably helps a bit too.

Mine was probably 8 years old at that point and was the first time doing it. Supposed to do it more often.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those of you with on demand hot water are you on well water or city water? Does the unit keep up to multiple appliances using hot water, dishwasher & person having a shower or clothes washer & person having a shower? Thinking about upgrading the old hot water tank & infloor boiler system to a combi unit. Waiting for a quote back on a Navien wall hung boiler unit, indirect hot water tank, fan coil unit to replace the furnace & install. Feel it would be more efficient with cost savings on natural gas if I had all 3 units combined into 1.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a NTI unit is only 2 stage hot water on demand with in floor in basement and fan coil for heat upstairs never has been able to keep up to 2 things running hot water is over 15 years old the new ones are probably better the fan coil works great but remember it runs longer than a regular furnace

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those of you with on demand hot water are you on well water or city water? Does the unit keep up to multiple appliances using hot water, dishwasher & person having a shower or clothes washer & person having a shower? Thinking about upgrading the old hot water tank & infloor boiler system to a combi unit. Waiting for a quote back on a Navien wall hung boiler unit, indirect hot water tank, fan coil unit to replace the furnace & install. Feel it would be more efficient with cost savings on natural gas if I had all 3 units combined into 1.
Our Navien is on well water in the simonette, descale yearly really haven't had issues in 10 yrs high iron water we only have a 10 mic particulate filter (big blue) changed every couple months. Ours is for tap water only never had an issue keeping up

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had mine done a few months ago. Called the company that installed it and watched closely. Its easy to do, but get the better equipment, and the descaler that changes color. Its all available on Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B084GFD3NN

Top Bottom