Honda 450 ES trouble

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my pa has a 450 es, and he has been having some trouble with the es shifting. Example, driving down a trail, using the electric thumb shift, when the gear he is in, starts to flash on the odom screen, wont shift es anymore. Is this flashing a code of some sort??, or bigger problems. Any advice would be helpful....:beer:

Richadge

Reaction score
One easy solution is to check your battery.

I've encountered this a few times on my 350 ES and charging the battery right up solved the problem.

Hopefully it is as easy as that for you.

vinson4ever

Reaction score
I've seen this problem quite a few times on honda's with the ES. Most of time it's just crap in the switch. It doesn't seal very good and you get moisture and dirt in the switch. Take it apart and clean. I hope this helps.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Mine was doing that and I sprayed the hell out of the switches with WD-40.....

sticky contacts cause it to flash on the gauges.

Black08Brute

Reaction score
I was having the same trouble with mine. What I did was I took the sensor off the front of the motor (where your little accuatuator motor is) and cleaned it. The sensor is called the gear posistion sensor. Cleaning it worked for a little while then I just ended up changing it, I think the cost was around $65.

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just replace the gear position sensor. thats usualy the problem. if not clean the switches. if that doesnt do it you might need to replace the battery as it is probably getting weak start and stop riding. rincons have the same battery problem if they're not ridden for a decent amount of time to charge properly.

Top Bottom