honda 2000 generator

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 2000 Honda and I have a northern light camper with the cuby hole that the honda fits perfectly in. I am also a refrigeration Mechanic so A/C is my trade. Your 2000 should run your A/C just fine if a few things go your way #! if your A/C units capacity is 18,000 BTUs or less # 2 you run no other electrical appliances beyoned a light or two. #3 The cord from you RV should plug directly in your Gen set thru a good tight fitting adapter. #4 do not use the econo mode on your gen set (Leave it tacked up steady) #5 On initial start up turn the Thermal stat as warm as it will go then turn the unit on to cool then turn the thermal stat down to the temperature that you want. There by eliminating bringing on the fan and the compressor together.

There is a fan motor and a compressor motor in you A/C unit both have a start current (Lock Rotor Current) 5 to 6 times the run load current so it is important to start them separately hence turning the thermal stat down after the fan is running. If your RV is new the A/C compressor could be a little tight and cause the gen set breaker to trip. It is similar to most moving equipment they tend to break in after a while. Depending on your A/C and the ambient temperature you may not have to observe any or all of the above procedures but they will be a little easier on the Gen Set and the A/C

Even with doing all this a 2000w inverter has a tough time starting the AC load. It's the inrush current of the compressor that causes the unit to trip out. If you're lucky and your AC unit pulls less current on start up then it might work for you. Even the smaller 12K BTU units usually won't start on a 2KW generator, but if you install a bigger start capacitor then it will work, but 15k BTU or larger won't even with the added capacitor. You need more capacity in the genset.
And the Honda 2K companion gensets are illegal in Canada because the way they bond the neutral together in the connection cable is in violation of the Canadian electrical code. They work well, but you've got to go stateside in order to buy them. The dealers up here can't get them or sell them.

Clark Grizwald

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can afford it go with a yamaha inverter, they are very quiet and will outlast a Honda by far as Honda runs a rubber timing belt that eventually wears out and costs$$$ to replace. Yamaha does not, mine is 3000 I do believe and I can run my a/c, toaster and microwave at the same time, no issues and starts every time. Oh you can also up grade to a remote starter for around $300 if your lazy like me, he he

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can afford it go with a yamaha inverter, they are very quiet and will outlast a Honda by far as Honda runs a rubber timing belt that eventually wears out and costs$$$ to replace. Yamaha does not, mine is 3000 I do believe and I can run my a/c, toaster and microwave at the same time, no issues and starts every time. Oh you can also up grade to a remote starter for around $300 if your lazy like me, he he

There still heavy correct ?

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I am not sure what is meant by a soft start capacitor it could be a new electronic devise that I am unaware of but it is probable a manufactures name for the following. Most single phase motors that require a significant starting torque (you A/C compressor) are equipped with a current relay and a start capacitor. These motors are know as Capacitor Start Induction Run (CSIR). This starting system has decent starting torque and and it is cheaper to build. I suspect that a soft start capacitor would be when your CSIR motor is refitted with a potential relay and two capacitors both a start and a run capacitor. This motor is now known as a Capacitor Start Capacitor Run (CSCR). Single phase motors fitted with the CSCR electrics have the highest starting torque of any single phase motors and have the lowest duration of lock rotor current for a few reasons. #1 A current relay only energizes when it senses lock rotor current then it energizes the start capacitor which inherently adds time to the starting process. Where as a potential relay sits closed and energizes the start capacitor the instant the motor is energized. In any case if your A/C works as is I would not spend the money for the retro fit, however if you are having nuisance trips on your gen set or want to run a long extension cord you could have the system refitted with a CSCR electrics and it will definitely help. As far as taking it easy on your Honda that unit has a the protection it needs internally and yes bigger is better but I don't see you having a problem with your 2000. That is unless your chick wants to use the blow drier or a curling Iron or both then your pretty well nackered.
Does a soft start capacitor really help ?

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a 2000 HONDA Bought it at the Honda power house in South Calgary a few years ago. I use to run my 1978 33 ft Vanguard gooseneck A/C with out a problem and my Northern Light Camper now. Gen Set is a beast for its size, still runs and haven't burnt anything down or electrocuted any body yet and to top it off I am still a free man (no bail involved). As far as electrical codes goes in particular as it relate to Three Wire Edison which all residential housing in north America is wired with there are so many jurisdictional differences even amongst the provincial codes it does not surprise me that some bureaucratic dick-weed decided to show Honda who is boss and failed there unit. As far as "the way they bonded the neutral" being illegal I just checked mine and it is clearly marked with CSA and the plugs are fused at 20 amps so I won't be losing any sleep worrying.
Even with doing all this a 2000w inverter has a tough time starting the AC load. It's the inrush current of the compressor that causes the unit to trip out. If you're lucky and your AC unit pulls less current on start up then it might work for you. Even the smaller 12K BTU units usually won't start on a 2KW generator, but if you install a bigger start capacitor then it will work, but 15k BTU or larger won't even with the added capacitor. You need more capacity in the genset.
And the Honda 2K companion gensets are illegal in Canada because the way they bond the neutral together in the connection cable is in violation of the Canadian electrical code. They work well, but you've got to go stateside in order to buy them. The dealers up here can't get them or sell them.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to try my 2000 come over any time I live west of Okotoks hell I will buy the beer if she doesn't make it. Alternatively we could have an event c/w spectators. I have a camp ground for the event. I am thinking kind of like a nascar event for generators.
I bought a 2003 holiday trailer with a/c. Does anyone know if this generator will run the a/c?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This guy was on sale a Princess Auto for 700$. 3000watt 70lbs

8530891.jpg

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a 2000 HONDA Bought it at the Honda power house in South Calgary a few years ago. I use to run my 1978 33 ft Vanguard gooseneck A/C with out a problem and my Northern Light Camper now. Gen Set is a beast for its size, still runs and haven't burnt anything down or electrocuted any body yet and to top it off I am still a free man (no bail involved). As far as electrical codes goes in particular as it relate to Three Wire Edison which all residential housing in north America is wired with there are so many jurisdictional differences even amongst the provincial codes it does not surprise me that some bureaucratic dick-weed decided to show Honda who is boss and failed there unit. As far as "the way they bonded the neutral" being illegal I just checked mine and it is clearly marked with CSA and the plugs are fused at 20 amps so I won't be losing any sleep worrying.

You have a companion gen ? As in two generators paired together to get 4000 watts ?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The Honda 2000 has US model where you can hook 2 Honda 2000's together via a wire. Its this wire connection that was said to be insufficient for Canadian standards. If you buy a Honda 2000 here it will not have the connections to hook two together and is not Illegal.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris has those kind as well, I wonder if the connector is included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Honda 2000 has US model where you can hook 2 Honda 2000's together via a wire. Its this wire connection that was said to be insufficient for Canadian standards. If you buy a Honda 2000 here it will not have the connections to hook two together and is not Illegal.
Thanks that makes sense now. No sign of a linking connection on mine.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a old Honda 2000 it ran my AC NO prob ,but my brand new one won't?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can make your own a parallel cable and link two inverter type generators together. Aka "suicide cable" .

Generator hard start kits are the way to go, the extra capacitor helps out big time and also makes it easier on the A/c unit. I don't know why all A/C units don't come with them but I added one to my trailer A/C.
Yes some 2000's will start a 13,500btu a/c unit and some will not. Altitude, ambient temp and electrical load play a hand at a successful start or not.
My 2800w Yamaha would start my 13,500 in my old trailer but not my new one. Both trailers were bought brand new by myself, had to install a hard start kit in my arctic fox to get the 2800 to start the a/c.

The biggest issue I see using a generator without a twist lock 30amp plug is the heat generated in the regular 15amp plug-in. I've seen the adapter plugs melted to the trailer power cord.

The Honda 2000 companion with the 30 amp plug and a regular US 2000 is the way to go for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can make your own a parallel cable and link two inverter type generators together. Aka "suicide cable" .

Generator hard start kits are the way to go, the extra capacitor helps out big time and also makes it easier on the A/c unit. I don't know why all A/C units don't come with them but I added one to my trailer A/C.
Yes some 2000's will start a 13,500btu a/c unit and some will not. Altitude, ambient temp and electrical load play a hand at a successful start or not.
My 2800w Yamaha would start my 13,500 in my old trailer but not my new one. Both trailers were bought brand new by myself, had to install a hard start kit in my arctic fox to get the 2800 to start the a/c.

The biggest issue I see using a generator without a twist lock 30amp plug is the heat generated in the regular 15amp plug-in. I've seen the adapter plugs melted to the trailer power cord.

The Honda 2000 companion with the 30 amp plug and a regular US 2000 is the way to go for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where can a guy buy a hard start capacitor for an AC unit ?

Top Bottom