homemade octane boost

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toluene Is A Common Octane Boosting Component​
Toluene (methyl benzene) gives about 1 octane number boost for each 5%
Toluene has octane rating of 114. So use this formula to figure what octane you get when u mix toluene with gasoline:

Litres of gasoline x Octane (eg.95 or 98) + (Litres of toluene x 114)
Total Litres of Gasoline & Toluene

exampleThe fuel tank capacity of an EVO 8MR is 55 litres. Based on a 30% toluene mixture, filling it with
16.5 litres of toluene and 38.5 litres of 98-octane gasoline will yield a fuel mix of:

(38.5 litres x 98) + (16.5 litres x 114)
55 litres
= 102.8 octane

Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a 12-16 ounces bottle will only raise octane by 0.2 - 0.3, i.e. from 98 to 98.3 octane.

MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOSTER

To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses. Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

• 100 oz of toluene for octane boost
  • 25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
  • 3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

The above formula is an "octane booster with cleaning agent and lubricating agent”. Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

Interesting links:

http://www.gtatech.com/news_au_articl.html
http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene/

Precautions:
Available Packing Size:

1. BESTCHEM Racing Fuel Additive is highly flammable; store it in a well-ventilated place.
  2. Avoid prolong contact on Skin.
  3. If contact, wash with water & soap.
  4. When handling, use rubber gloves.
18 Litres tin
20 Litres vapour tight drum with RIEKE® FLEXSPOUT®
4 Litres jerry can

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Think I seen this formula on Moonshiners the other night.

Where would you get the magic ingredient?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think I seen this formula on Moonshiners the other night.

Where would you get the magic ingredient?
Paint store. we played with this years ago...ended up with a bunch of sqeaked 2-strokes....it was too dry we think....

Keep in mind anything with "ene" on the end will absorb through your skin, harm your liver, and cause cancer.....

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most bulk stns or chemical suppiers. they use it as a base in some of there product.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
His mix is accurate!!!
My oldest brother is a chemical super freak, I was making this same concocsion(sp) in the late 80's. For my Honda Odyssey's :D
I had to get a shipping company back then, to deliver it.

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
start slowly with toluene add a little at a time untill you notice a diffrence in hp and tweek from there.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
His mix is accurate!!!
My oldest brother is a chemical super freak, I was making this same concocsion(sp) in the late 80's. For my Honda Odyssey's :D
I had to get a shipping company back then, to deliver it.
Was your brothers nickname "Heisenberg" perhaps?

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember reading up on this a while back...I believe the trick is to add small amounts of mtbe and ATF to the mix, otherwise it's too dry.

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my bad saying hp.... Toluene is such an effective anti knock fuel that it takes a smaller quantity to achieve the same octane boost compared to 100 octane racing gas.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but higher octane doesn't increase hp.

Exactly in fact if you have higher octane than your motor is designed for you will lose HP. Too many people may think they can gain HP on their stock sled by running race fuel. If you don't have the compression or boost you just don't need it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please read what DaveB and Riverjet said. This has been an internet sensation for a number of years.....making your own race fuel by just adding toluene.......some dude in Europe who was too cheap to buy race gas decided it was just "that easy" to make your own, problem is he forgot to tell you about the 4 motors he went through before he decided it wasnt working......see kids..this is what happens you spend too much time in a confined space with a bunch of open toluene containers.....

yeah yeah yeah i know......the "math" works out perfect....some of the time...oops.....the same things keeps happening to these motors that use their home brew......until I see any reputable engine builder simply dumping paint thinner into their expensive race car engine I will just leaving it to the guys who like buying pistons......

Remember kids, toluene is cheap, race fuel is expensive. If it was really that easy, someone would have been buying base fuel stock and dumping paint thinner into it years ago, and selling it for half the cost. If there was a buck to be made off this, it would have been done 20 yrs ago. You get what you pay for.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ran home brew a few years back, from what i recall it ran well and i had no issues with squeaking, i added tranny oil and bought totem and home depot out of toulene and kerosene(NUMBER ONE DIESEL), ended up doing a few batches for a tnitro as well, would do it again if i never had race or av gas

Top Bottom