Home furnace problems

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My furnace stop working today it shows the codes low fuel and lockout due to failed ignition anyone know how to fix this

c_nelson99

Reaction score
My furnace stop working today it shows the codes low fuel and lockout due to failed ignition anyone know how to fix this

I'd look at the thermocouple first. If its charred on the tip and hasn't been changed in a couple years it may be causing the fail to light. The low fuel may be also caused by this, if the pilot isn't heating the thermocouple to send signal to your gas valve it will cause the gas valve to close. If it's a real new furnace there is a chance pilot only lights when it calls for heat.

Thermocouple is like $10 at home depot, just measure length. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's no thermocouple on this one it's a 2006 unit I had a professional over today for 3 hours ( only guy I could get til Thursday ) he's thinking it might be pressure valve or whatever that piece is called where the gas comes into where the on off switch is

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hes more than likely talking about the gas valve. Flame fail could be caused by faulty flame sensor(acts like the thermocoulpe on newer furnaces).

i recall you living quite rural, do you have natural gas or propane? sometimes propane regulators can freeze up if there is any moisture in your tanks or if you are low on propane. could try some hot water on the reg. that's if you are on propane.

if you are on natural gas, your pro is probably right with gas valve

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is no thermocouple there will be a electric igniter. When you reset your furnace you should see this get red hot when it is trying to light. It is possible it is burnt out and giving you this code. I had problems with mine to the point where I changed my furnace.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to solve these issues on the inter web but I will give it my best shot need a little more info though make of furnace and type of fuel to start

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two styles of ignition systems guys HSI or DSI (hot surface) or (direct spark) each are uniquely different

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bhowes is right, much more info is needed.. type of fuel is a crucial first step.

id like to help but like you, many peoples heat is down which means i am swamped busy.

try and list all symptoms, issues, error codes, what the furnace does when you reset the main power, etc

that info may help us help you

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's natural gas , when I turn the switch on it delay about 20 seconds then the igniter lights up for about 30 seconds when fan kicks in the igniter shuts down , it's a nordyne furnace . I replaced the igniter , and the switch box that the gas line screws into that goes into the furnace and that round thing with 2 wires and 2 hoses that goes to the flu pipe . I had lac ste Ann gas come out boosted up my gas pressure to 10 had. 3 different professionals check it out already got 1200 dollars into it and can't seem to get it to work it's only 6 years old

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kkkkkk don't want to stir your pot but if nat gas 10 what lbs or inches of water column should only be 3.5 to 4.5" of water column is it hot surface glowey thing or dsi sparky thing you know tic tic tic boom ignition I don't want to sound like a know it all but have 35 yrs experience as a first class gas fitter and have been teaching for 12 years if you have 1200 $ bill and furnace still not working don't pay cause the tech workn on it does not know **** all he is is a parts changer not good

So calmly with as much detail as you can tell us what happens
you turn up the t stat to call for heat and then--------------------- what happens details pls

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it have a led heart beat light that flashes because the flashes mean things ie steady on green normal operation 1 slow pulse 3 fast pulses also will mean something

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's got a red light and a yellow light on the mother board when furnace shuts down red light blinks 4 times , that means lockout due to fail ignition and yellow light blinks 2 times meaning low fuel

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I turn up the thermostat the furnace makes a tic sound wait for 20 seconds or so igniter fires up turns Bright red as soon as the fan for furnace kicks in igniter shuts down and furnace blows cold air

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better so the thing is actually an engineering marvel designed to keep you safe so I will explain how it works
1 when you turn up the stat and give it a call for heat things happen in an order most of the safety features are wired in series' his will help you trouble shoot
so call for heat good venter motor cycles and gives you 30 - 90 second pre purge this to clear combustion chamber venter fan shuts down and blower fan cycles this is to clear exchanger chamber now igniter glows or tics depending on why style and opens pilot valve once pilot lights or burner starts a micro amp signal travels back to ignition module and tells the main brain it has established a pilot or light the burner this micro amp signal is crucial so a hair liner crack in igniter or a bad flame rod ( dirty or damaged will not send right signal back) shuts down and retries this will happen 3 times then appliance locks out means you have to turn off power to reset brain or it will retry continually depends on style and manufacturer

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got 2 wires going to the igniter and that sits just at the end of the pipe that comes through the furnace

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Part 2

on the venter side of the safety system there will be pressure switch this proves positive ( push) or negative ( pull) on the venting system pressure switch will have 2 wires and 1 or 2 hoses this is easy to check if you suspect this is the problem pull the 2 wires and put them together re try furnace if this was the issue the furnace will run as normal

Top Bottom