Hobby welder

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a welder I have very little welding experience and it’s been a long time since I have tried. I’m looking at purchasing a welder for small projects etc I would like it to have a 110 plug so I can use at the cabin a well.

What a good entry level easy to use machine?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have this one from Canadian Tire and i'm impressed with how well it welds, need 20 amp breaker if turning it up but it'll weld 1/4" no problem at all. When it's on sale it's like $250. Princess auto also has similar ones. It's not going to weld really heavy stuff but it's great for little repairs.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack thread but a piggyback- any took suggestions to go along with hobby fabricating?

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a welder I have very little welding experience and it’s been a long time since I have tried. I’m looking at purchasing a welder for small projects etc I would like it to have a 110 plug so I can use at the cabin a well.

I had the one larger than ricki bobby suggested below from CT (Easy mig 180). Goes on sale for about $600 or so.

It worked great for steel. It just took a bit of time to figure out what wire speed setting work best for each heat setting. Those units just have 5 fixed setting, not a fully variable potentiometer. This was a bigger issue when I started to try aluminum with a spool gun.

Regardless. Get a tank of gas and they work so much better than using the shielded wire.

Since then I have upgraded to a Miller multimatic 220. It’s awsome as it does everything with one machine. But you can get 2 separate mig and tug machines for less cash. The 220 was a fair bit cheaper when I got it then it is now.

Last edited:

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What do you plan to use it for?
That could determine what you need to buy…

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Millermatic is 240v, but what a machine, it’s like a glue gun for a welder. Anyone can weld with it. Autofeed is great. I would consider one if you can.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Millermatic is 240v, but what a machine, it’s like a glue gun for a welder. Anyone can weld with it. Autofeed is great. I would consider one if you can.
The 220 is both. Comes with the 120 cord end too. But obviously you can’t crank it up to full potential and the duty cycle would be nothing. But it will prob stick shat together. But I haven’t tried 120 volts on mine.

It won’t trip a 20 or 30 amp breaker running on 240. You don’t need a 50 amps for a 180-220 amp welder.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with something like this. Anything but light work is frustrating on 120volt. This ESAB machine runs on either 120 or 240.

If you ever think you'll want to use stick or DC Lift arc TIG then this guy is the ticket:

I like Miller and Lincoln machines, but the prices of them have spiraled out of control in the last couple years, ESAB builds a good unit and gives better value right now.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I replaced my failed Miller with an Everlast machine a few years ago. Never wasting money again on big Blue or Red for home use.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy uses the Canadian Tire Lincon, good for little jobs but doesnt have the cycle for burning big rod

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried this one, but looks interesting to me for the price. It has 115 and 230v so you can plug it in almost any where, but has 230v for heavier duty projects. If I was just getting into hobby welding, I might try it out.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's your budget? What do you want to mainly stick together?

Ive been looking at the Everlast MTS275 lightning. Probably more machine that you would be looking for but like turbo392 said lol past the big brands and you can get more welded for a cheaper price.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Have not really though of a budget under $1000 maybe not sure. I think I would mostly be using it around the shop just to fix general stuff, and would definitely like to try welding sheet metal.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried this one, but looks interesting to me for the price. It has 115 and 230v so you can plug it in almost any where, but has 230v for heavier duty projects. If I was just getting into hobby welding, I might try it out.

That looks like a clone of the Lincoln i had at a better price. It would be a good machine

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you’re wanting to spend around a thousand stick with brand name welder imo. Any are good Miller, Lincoln Esab are good and easy to find parts for. Like mentioned most the little migs are 110 and 240. Get one that will run on 240. They weld so much nice and smoother. If using gas less flux remember you going to run straight polarity (ground clamp positive). Hobart is another good option it’s a Miller with different colour paint, like gmc and Chevy. The only off breed welder I’d consider is everlast.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with lookin at Everlast as an option as well. Been extremely happy with my TIG from them I bought a few years ago. Wouldnt hesitate to buy another welder from them. Been team blue for a long time, but for hobbyist welder they are very hard to beat. Have been able to find many consumables locally too.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely interested in this thread….

Where are guys buying these Everlast units? Are they high frequency… isn’t that what a guy needs for light aluminum tig work?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely interested in this thread….

Where are guys buying these Everlast units? Are they high frequency… isn’t that what a guy needs for light aluminum tig work?

I know they got them. And liquid cooled ones. A buddy got one I tried it. Welded pretty good. But like most welder that are the cheaper side they put lots of settings that you’ll never use, they’re just there to make you feel like you got a good deal lol. But just makes them overly complicated. My Lincoln square wave has 2 setting other then power and welds amazing, guy doesn’t need all that other stuff. Takes lot more time to get it set right.
b56c2261e56d792044308c8dd798fa0d.jpg

Top Bottom