Hiway 2 accident sends 1 to hospital.........

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
LUCK GUY.......... WOW

EDMONTON – A 35-year-old truck driver was taken to hospital Monday morning after the load of pipes his truck was hauling came loose and hit him through the back of the cab.

STARS air ambulance was called to the scene on Highway 2 just north of Leduc shortly after 8:30 Monday morning. [h=3]Related Stories[/h]

Story continues below →

Police say the driver was slowing for traffic on the highway when his brakes locked up causing the load of pipes he was carrying to shift and break through the cab of the truck.
The man was taken to the University of Alberta hospital in stable condition.
RCMP are investigating, but it’s unclear if any charges will be laid.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, I always HATED hauling pipe. The guys is lucky to be alive. A pipeliner next door to us had a piece of Yellow Jacket come through his cab, cut the sleeve on his coat that he was wearing, and continue out the front of his truck, with most of his dash as well...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
you would think it would be manditory to have a headache rack of some sort on the front of the pipe hauling trailers.....

There was a time when tanker drivers crawled up top the tank trailers and every now and then a guy would fall, get hurt/killed now you look at the newer tank trailers/trucks and they have an engineered walkway with rails built right in....

If this has happened more than a few times why has nothing been done to prevent it???

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you would think it would be manditory to have a headache rack of some sort on the front of the pipe hauling trailers.....

If this has happened more than a few times why has nothing been done to prevent it???

I have often wondered the same thing, when hauling logs we MUST have WCB approved cab guard and lord knows logs dont slip as easy as pipe. If I were hauling pipe full time I certainly would have a logger cabguard, no doubt in my mind.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was stuck behind that this morning shortly after it happened. The police completely blocked off Hwy 2. ...sat there for an hour before I followed all the people backtracking in the ditch to find an entrance to the service road.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the guy is very lucky...
The pipe on the passenger side passed through the cab and into the engine compartment.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
When it comes to deck freight headache racks are no longer mandatory on trucks( AB and BC). Why this law was passed I have no idea. Some complain its an added cost and weight to the truck. Most of the aluminum cab guards wouldn't stop the pipe anyway, just slow it down some. Improper tie down procedure and driving habits were probably the main reason this happened. I've hauled my fair share of pipe off the coast and yellow jacket to the bush. You get careless and it will bite you big time. And yes he should buy a lottery ticket once he gets out of the hospital. One lucky som bitch :beer:

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
They are saying mechanical failure, the brakes locked up unintentionally.... I don't buy the weight/cost arguement, didn't hold water for the tank trucks (lol see what I did there....Bwahahaha) I understand that pipe is transported every day and this type of incident is a rarity, but it does happen. proper load securement, mechanical maintenance on the truck etc. may have prevented the incident but the more safeguards that are in place the less likely an incident is to happen... It's like the swiss cheeze model, the less safeguards there are the more likely the holes are to line up and produce a loss.

I think Headache racks should be a given, I don't understand that change either Bruce... but who knows maybe in this case it would have insured his demise, instead of brazed with a pipe he could have been crushed by a headache rack....

When it comes to deck freight headache racks are no longer mandatory on trucks( AB and BC). Why this law was passed I have no idea. Some complain its an added cost and weight to the truck. Most of the aluminum cab guards wouldn't stop the pipe anyway, just slow it down some. Improper tie down procedure and driving habits were probably the main reason this happened. I've hauled my fair share of pipe off the coast and yellow jacket to the bush. You get careless and it will bite you big time. And yes he should buy a lottery ticket once he gets out of the hospital. One lucky som bitch :beer:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe someone would even agree to haul pipe if their truck is not equipped to do so safely. Yes it will plow through most headache racks out there, but the rack will slow it down bigtime.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our winch trucks have steel headache racks, and the pipeliner next door had one on too, once that stuff starts sliding, nothing is going to slow it down until it loses its momentum. Personally, I think all trucks hauling pipe should have the bulkheads on the front of the trailer. They're secured to the trailer, and the pipe is loaded tight against it. Of course this wouldn't work on the longer lengths that overhang the front of the trailer( I'm seeing more companies starting to use these). Also, if that pipe had been sitting on the trailer over the weekend with the snow and melt, followed by a good freeze last night, then that pipe was like greased lightning, even if they threw some cement or sand on it prior to leaving, it was bound to do that on a hard brake application...my .02 worth

Gforce21

Reaction score
I heard from one of the nisku fire dept first responders that they had to call a translator because he didn't speak English. I'll let yall guess what nationality this truck driver was.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm working. She sends them as she sees fit. Lol

I agree... I'd never haul pipe if there was nothing between me and it other than the back window. Same goes for logs.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I am guessing his roof leaked to.
I heard from one of the nisku fire dept first responders that they had to call a translator because he didn't speak English. I'll let yall guess what nationality this truck driver was.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That was one of my first thought myself. They don't care about safety or maintenance.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I passed this going north bound this morning. One lucky guy.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alot of pipe yards in the US will not load trucks unless they are equipped with headache racks . Probably not for safety reasons but more like they are worried of being sued if an incident occurs. We make it policy that all trucks have them.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when I was on the highway we had a rule,
5km
50km
500km

that is when your loads should be checked at a minimum.
straps come loose for no apparent reason all the time.
as for chains !!! I was shocked to see loads that were just sitting there coz no one bothered to retighten them!
then we get calls in the middle of the night with a driver whinging coz his load has shifted and he wants a forklift in the middle of nowhere.
steel anything is always a problem on rough roads and needs constant attention.
don't get me started on how many guys get injured and killed unloading steel !!!

Top Bottom