Here is the latest from your NDP in Alberta

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are closing because we have an NDP government ...lol, seriously. They have no idea where the power will come from , or the jobs and enormous spin off benefits associated with the coal plants , for that matter as well...
Obviuosly the NDP do not think in terms of consequences, only the flavour of the month from the loudest special interest group !
Bill 6 is another shining example ... Just pas a law , why bother with consulting with the stakeholders it involves the most ....
In all reality though , the NDP will be a blip ( an expensive one ) on the radar as we move forward .... And likly never to be taken seriously again in Alberta .

If there is one thing we can take out of the trump election result ...its you can push the regular working guy so far for a while ....but sooner or later , they are going to be fed up with rules / regulations/PC/and special interest attacks .

My young friend is not a political type of person / but he is extremely motivated now ... Once he Sees what an awful government can do ...he wil be okay . And is much more aware political wise ,shall we say .....

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are closing because we have an NDP government ...lol, seriously. They have no idea where the power will come from , or the jobs and enormous spin off benefits associated with the coal plants , for that matter as well...
Obviuosly the NDP do not think in terms of consequences, only the flavour of the month from the loudest special interest group !
Bill 6 is another shining example ... Just pas a law , why bother with consulting with the stakeholders it involves the most ....
In all reality though , the NDP will be a blip ( an expensive one ) on the radar as we move forward .... And likly never to be taken seriously again in Alberta .

If there is one thing we can take out of the trump election result ...its you can push the regular working guy so far for a while ....but sooner or later , they are going to be fed up with rules / regulations/PC/and special interest attacks .

My young friend is not a political type of person / but he is extremely motivated now ... Once he Sees what an awful government can do ...he wil be okay . And is much more aware political wise ,shall we say .....

I find it hard to imagine that any government NDP or otherwise would close a power plant without having a alternative way of getting it

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to imagine that any government NDP or otherwise would close a power plant without having a alternative way of getting it

A person with a little common sense can easily see that...... Glad I moved back to my homeland when I did. I have worked at the power plants in Alberta. I know how much power Alberta makes, uses and imports. Since the industry is in the toilet the power usage in Alberta will be way lower and probably selling some to surrounding provinces. I guess it might look like u could shut plants down. If things turn around the power prices will be through the roof if they do not replace the megawatts that get removed from the grid and everyone will pay. Here's a few screen shots of a handy power app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the wind farm went up at Halkirk you know who built them? They were all American workers. The only spin off to the local economy is the farmers that get to clear snow in the winter to the windmills. Windmills make money from selling the carbon credits not the power.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are obviously not up to speed on our provincial government... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the wind farm went up at Halkirk you know who built them? They were all American workers. The only spin off to the local economy is the farmers that get to clear snow in the winter to the windmills. Windmills make money from selling the carbon credits not the power.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since no one else actually know the NDP "plan" I'll lay it out.

The NDP plan to phase out all coal power in Alberta by 2030 (which is as of today 6299MW of capacity) due to high CO2 emissions. The NDP is currently looking to sign contracts for 5000MW of renewable generation capacity to come on line by 2030. Renewable meaning wind or solar power.

But any reasonable person can conclude that 5000 does not replace 6300, and also that it is dark in Alberta roughly half the time, and there are times when we have no wind. So the rest of the power will have to come from the Natural Gas generating stations in the province (which also will pay tax under the new carbon tax regime). But without new Natural Gas fired plants Alberta will not have enough electrical generation to maintain its current demand (nevermind demand for growth) during the times of no solar or wind generation.

So yes they literally do not have a plan, as no new natural gas fueled plants have been announced, and investors are skeptical to invest in such due to an uncertain future of carbon taxes and power prices.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since no one else actually know the NDP "plan" I'll lay it out.

The NDP plan to phase out all coal power in Alberta by 2030 (which is as of today 6299MW of capacity) due to high CO2 emissions. The NDP is currently looking to sign contracts for 5000MW of renewable generation capacity to come on line by 2030. Renewable meaning wind or solar power.

But any reasonable person can conclude that 5000 does not replace 6300, and also that it is dark in Alberta roughly half the time, and there are times when we have no wind. So the rest of the power will have to come from the Natural Gas generating stations in the province (which also will pay tax under the new carbon tax regime). But without new Natural Gas fired plants Alberta will not have enough electrical generation to maintain its current demand (nevermind demand for growth) during the times of no solar or wind generation.

So yes they literally do not have a plan, as no new natural gas fueled plants have been announced, and investors are skeptical to invest in such due to an uncertain future of carbon taxes and power prices.

That spells it out better. What about nuclear power? I know it's a scary word but it is actually one of the cleanest form of power. Unless something happens.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That spells it out better. What about nuclear power? I know it's a scary word but it is actually one of the cleanest form of power. Unless something happens.
The was talk about it but kind of died off. Wonder what the leaf lickers would do If a nuclear power plant was proposed.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The was talk about it but kind of died off. Wonder what the leaf lickers would do If a nuclear power plant was proposed.

Bruce Power proposed a Nuclear Power plant near Peace River about 10 years ago but that was shut down in the very early stages by landowners and the environmentalists. On fears of radiation or nuclear meltdown to ideas as far fetched as the plant using the entire water volume of the Peace River to cool its cooling towers.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fact remains that they have no way of replacing the power that will be lost due to ending the coal fired plant production.
The NDP will also regulate and tie up any major new step towards a large scale development of energy production, in any case other than solar / wind .
Not to mention the fact that investors confidence in Alberta is at an all time low , due to the fact that the NDP is ... Well NDP ish. Or against making a profit , for large corporations .

The sensible solution is a page from our Neibour to the east Brad Wall book !
Do not tax for pollution that has already occurred ....!! Instead, encourage R&D in carbon capture and reductions of pollutants prior to there release .. Through tax breaks and various financial incentives. Thus, creating jobs and valuable technology at the same time ...

To those of you who say all politicians are the same , thus no mater who we elect , we are doomed . I would say , utter nonsense !
There are always Good & bad ideas ....
This is a perfect example of bad ideas put forth in terms of unwanted/ un necessary government intervention, right here in Alberta!

Last edited:
Top Bottom