Helmets in B.C. the law or not??

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Curtis, Thank you for this information, BC Laws, but can you tell me if there is sometimg new to replace the Act that was current to April 8, 2009.
:confused:Allso how do you coup with the Act that states that a certificate of registration is required, and the ICBC states that many types off-road vehicles cannot be registered or insured.:confused:

Bruce.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not been able to find the Act for after April 8, 2009

I understand and feel the same confusion. I just spoke with our local ICBC and they have not registered and ATV in 17 years. The act is vague as to which off road vehicle applies to what regulation.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not been able to find the Act for after April 8, 2009

I understand and feel the same confusion. I just spoke with our local ICBC and they have not registered and ATV in 17 years. The act is vague as to which off road vehicle applies to what regulation.

Thanks Curtis.:):):thumbsup2:

Bruce.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stand a bit corrected regarding the acts.

You must fully read the Motor Vehicle Act as well as the All Terrain Vehicle act to get that mandatory registration is currently only for snowmachines.

When it states "Except as otherwise provided in this Act" it is reffering to the entire MVA and readers must cross refferance the two.

Also, there is no current or updated version of the ATV Act yet available.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Curtis, I know how long it takes to Read through all the BS, I have been looking through the Aberta/County Laws/Acts, around the Edmonton Area for the last couple of days.:eek::confused:

Bruce.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, snowmobiles only get registered.
You do have to insure your ATVs/bikes to use back country roads but can't register them. Your atv can be registered to someone else, and insured by you. You'd think you could only insure something that was registered to you.
Who makes these rules up anyways...

As for helmets...law or not??? Bicycle helmets are, you'd think motorized bikes/atvs would be. I never see anyone without one!

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the info, so that states that Only Alberta & B.C. DO NOT HAVE A MANDATORY HELMET LAW. Yes i do agree with all that helmets should always be worn. However a friend wanted to know, there are certain times in the bush on slower non technical trails when not doing anything fast & crazy that they are not worn. Hunting may be an example.
On a foot note for anyone that does not know there IS A HELMET LAW COMING TO ALBERTA THIS SPRING SOMETIME!!!

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard last year when they were checking quads on the FSR's for insurance,people were getting warnings for not wearing helmets. I personally don't wear one when hunting,but take it along for travelling down the FSR's at speed. I think I'm going to get an open face or a beanie for hunting this year so I don't worry about getting hassled and I wont have my vision impaired.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I will add a new twist....there are Forsetry Roads, there are exploration roads, and there are private logging roads. Another couple of days of reading to find out what kind of road you are on....

On the Forestry Roads you need a driver's license, insurance, and a helmet. That is what the CO's are enforcing besides environmental damage and speed limits. In the Fernie area the CO's have a radar gun.

One of the interesting things about BC is there is no mandatory ATV registration (it is mired pretty deep in political battles if you can imagine). Alberta registration (license plate) and insurance is good in BC as it is just like your truck or car insurance in that it is good anywhere. I have a restricted plate on my ATV with insurance for plowing driveways. It only allows me to go to designated places on an RCMP issued permit. Helmet, extreme right hand side of the road, and 20 kmh.

According to the CO's, exploration roads and the private roads don't get there attention.

So you can add a little more controversy to the issue....

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with ATV BC and Forestry REGS and IT will show that there is a flaw in current legislation. It states that helmets are mandatory on snowmobiles, trikes, & dirt bikes on FS Roads. Legislation was written before boom in Quads but is probably under review.

A buddy was ticketed for no helmet, but when he pleaded not guilty and explained the above reasoning, the charge was with drawn. But be safe, WEAR A HELMET.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with ATV BC and Forestry REGS and IT will show that there is a flaw in current legislation. It states that helmets are mandatory on snowmobiles, trikes, & dirt bikes on FS Roads. Legislation was written before boom in Quads but is probably under review.

A buddy was ticketed for no helmet, but when he pleaded not guilty and explained the above reasoning, the charge was with drawn. But be safe, WEAR A HELMET.

Thanks Mongrol, my helmet will be packed in the truck and i'll pass this info on to my buddy. Sometimes on easy trails or back roads etc. just out sightseeing/picture taking, or hunting we don't bother with them. Since we hadn't planned on any hard riding (mostly sightseeing) we wondered if we could just leave 'em behind and pack lighter.

bluerhino

Reaction score
Website
www.fallcreekconservationsociety.com
I believe Ont and Que are the only two provinces that have a law in place for manditory helmets while operating an ATV. This is mostly because their organizations are a but further ahead of our ATV organizations in working with the provincial governments in regulating safety.

HOWEVER ... if you ride a motorcycle or bicyle in BC and you wear a TURBIN you are exempt from ALL helmet laws! Exemptions to British Columbia's Helmet Law

So at this point its up to you for your own safety however the law is coming because of public pressure and increasing ATV fatilities.

:beer:

Top Bottom