Helmet & Goggle combinations

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going from my modular with electric shield to a snow cross and goggle set up. I searched around the site and got some information but I am just wondering what people are using and how happy they are with it.

We do lots of -30 riding here in Sk so I would be wanting a set up that has a real good fit between the helmet and goggles.

Any feedback appreciated.

Skidoo69

Reaction score
Ususally most motocross helmuts fit with goggles. I like the Scott goggles as they offer a killer nose piece that covers alot more of your face.

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are doing alot of cold weather riding, You are going to want a helmet that fits seamlessly as the top (meaning the curve of your goggle lines up to the top of the helmet and there's no gap). You also want to make sure the goggles will even fit with the helmet, some helmets are narrow and won't fit with a wide goggle very well. Personally I'd recommend Oakley's as they by far have the best optical clarity and I find the foam on the goggle to be superior to any other goggle. But that being said the best goggle is the one that fits you and your helmet the best.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Oakley's as well and an HJC helmet. Good seal and combination for me. Make sure your helmet of choice has a GOOD breathgaurd that is made for the helmet. Some of the generic ones as big POS! Also, a couple of belaclavas. One good heavier one that blocks wind for colder weather riding and a lighter one for the warmer days. It may take a bit of tweaking but once you find the combintion that works for you you'll love it!

Skidoo69

Reaction score
For belaclava's I like the Unwind. They work great. Excellent coverage. My under layer coat is made of the same stuff.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The best fit I have found is the 509 Evolution Helmet with 509 goggles and I have been trying this chit on for over 40 years!

I wear glasses and there is no hinderance. I also wear a neck warmer on the colder days and sometimes the Klim balaclava. But, by and large, my face is warm as there are no holes with the helmet goggle combination.

Now if they could just find a way to get "lens wipers" .......

Overthetop

Reaction score
Here is a helmet I have found online, now I am just waiting for there to be a dealer in Canada. It looks good, just haven't heard how well they would do in cold weather. Thought some of you may like a helmet like this.:d:d

Attachments

• squadron_blk_300.jpg
    squadron_blk_300.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 212

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
If you are getting your helmet first take your helmet with you when shopping for goggles or vise versa. Most helmet openings fit most goggles. That being said I have heard that it is hard to find a good fit for the Klim helmets.

We are Zeal, Uvex and HaberVision dealers. If we can help you out with anything give us a call!

Take care

Jan

Indy245

Reaction score
I have a Klim Gear'd helmet. It is one of the nicest helmets I have ever had. I have only ever owned HJC before this. It has a removable liner so you can wash and dry it by pulling on a few snaps. It has a lot of vents for summer riding and another wind liner that snaps in for winter to prevent air flow. It comes with an extra visor, bolts/nuts and a helmet bag. It also has a nose deflector that snaps in for winter riding. I wear Spy goggles with it and they work well together. I wear a Klim balaclava for winter riding and it fits fine inside the helmet, not too tight.

A bit pricey at 400, but well worth it. This helmet is rated DOT and Snell.

I bought the same size as my HJC helmet and the fit is fine. (I wear XL)

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the HJC Carbon Fibre helmet (nice and light) with the breath guard and I use the Pro Grip Carbon goggles. Lots of foam on the Pro Grips makes a nice seal. I'm trying the Habervision Eliminator in them this year (hoping it works as good as everyone says ). I tried the Klim windstopper balaclava, but found it was hard to breath through it (hence the windstopper) :)

farmer4ever

Reaction score
I wear HJC helmet with Smith goggles. They seal perfectly for me. The HJC breath guard works really well and just velcros in. I have a lot of friends who use the breath guard with diffrent brand helmets and it works for them too. The biggest thing is to take your balaclava (or whatever you want to wear under it) with you to try on the helmet to get a good fit. Then try on the goggles and check which pair gives you the best seal.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the information. The reason I am asking is that where I am there are limited "walk in and try it on stores" that carry all brands so I will be doing my shopping via the net.

I have been looking at the 509 set up and have found that the sinister series goggle have a strong, if not stronger, following than the new aviator series. Is this because the aviator is a new product with limited market exposure and review or are the sinister series just better?

DV8ED Digger

Reaction score
Thanks all for the information. The reason I am asking is that where I am there are limited "walk in and try it on stores" that carry all brands so I will be doing my shopping via the net.

I have been looking at the 509 set up and have found that the sinister series goggle have a strong, if not stronger, following than the new aviator series. Is this because the aviator is a new product with limited market exposure and review or are the sinister series just better?

Just bought the Aviators and this video is why. I thought the video shot a pretty cool perspective!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtguOdiwiY[/media]

woodym7

Reaction score
509 goggles are the best fit and they work on any open face that i have seen, as for staying warm buy a no-fog balaclava and you will have no issues , make sure your helmet has open and closing vents not just the permanently open ones.......

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking, the only stores I go to are the Doo dealer and a local after market place which neither carry a large selection of helmets.
So I did something I thought I would never doo, went to the Yamaha dealership! Once I made sure none of my buddies were looking, I went in!
I found they did have a good selection of helmets and goggles in particular the 509 stuff I have been thinking about.

I tried on the mat black helmet and both sinister and aviator goggles. I found the sinister to give me better coverage that the aviators.

I will be ordering from the 509 site and I think it should work out well.

Thanks for the info!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I got to thinking, the only stores I go to are the Doo dealer and a local after market place which neither carry a large selection of helmets.
So I did something I thought I would never doo, went to the Yamaha dealership! Once I made sure none of my buddies were looking, I went in!
I found they did have a good selection of helmets and goggles in particular the 509 stuff I have been thinking about.

I tried on the mat black helmet and both sinister and aviator goggles. I found the sinister to give me better coverage that the aviators.

I will be ordering from the 509 site and I think it should work out well.

Thanks for the info!

I, for one, don't think you will be disappointed......:specool::specool:

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Troy Lee Designs SE 2 helmet and run Scott Voltage Pro goggles.

chemmod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a klim helmet, and I think they are on sale right now and some quick velcro scott goggles. It is not the warmest compared to my BRP (which is really good for flat land riding). But I have almost zero fog issues with it.

The Klim helment fit really well and the peice they come with are the cats meow, but they cost ya.

Top Bottom