Heating My Enclosed Trailer

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What have other guys done to heat their trailers?I have a 28 foot Mirage that is insulated already and want to put some heat in it!I've had it for a few years now and it's a good trailer but would like to finally heat it.I just want to know where to get a furnace from,a rv place or trailer place!Also has anyone tried those small overhead radiant heaters?I should just buy a new trailer with a furnace but with building a house this year I can't justify the price difference to replace this one!I'm guessing close to 15G too boot to replace mine!:beer:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup do forced... Only way! If you want to buy a complete package call Alandale Trailers in Red Deer.. They used to be high priced but they now are very reasonably priced.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was to heat my trailer would I need side vents or is my roof vent fine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was to heat my trailer would I need side vents or is my roof vent fine?

Scratch that......I'd just run the furnace exhaust out the. Roof.

polarman

Reaction score
Buy two catadynes from someone in the patch. Get them reasonable one in the front one in the back. Cook you out in a nice dry heat and require power only on start up. I have a 40,000 btu furnace and 2 catadynes. wont be using forced air hardly at all.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy two catadynes from someone in the patch. Get them reasonable one in the front one in the back. Cook you out in a nice dry heat and require power only on start up. I have a 40,000 btu furnace and 2 catadynes. wont be using forced air hardly at all.

Or just do what other guys do and just borrow a few catadynes from shacks in the middle of no where ... lol jk

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What have other guys done to heat their trailers?I have a 28 foot Mirage that is insulated already and want to put some heat in it!I've had it for a few years now and it's a good trailer but would like to finally heat it.I just want to know where to get a furnace from,a rv place or trailer place!Also has anyone tried those small overhead radiant heaters?I should just buy a new trailer with a furnace but with building a house this year I can't justify the price difference to replace this one!I'm guessing close to 15G too boot to replace mine!:beer:

I have same issue with my enclosed. I priced a forced air furnace with underbody propane mount and it was $3000+. Thinking about the DIY route, 35000 BTU heaters are around $900 to $1100 to buy and then you have to install.
Looks like I will be wearing sweaters and hoodies til I buy my next one.

An interesting observation is that I read about some heated trailers units are used to melt the snow off their machines whilst they are parked inside for the night. Melting snow and drying out gear sounds like a whole different issue to solve. What happens to all of the water that does not evaporate? Does it not freeze in the cracks and crannies when it is cold out? I think I would freeze up my hinges in the back doors as it is sloped to the back. Fans will help dry out your gear and sled, but the moisture will condense on the cold walls and run down the sides. If you vent the air outside then you need a lot bigger heater than 35000 BTU heater to keep it warm.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have same issue with my enclosed. I priced a forced air furnace with underbody propane mount and it was $3000+. Thinking about the DIY route, 35000 BTU heaters are around $900 to $1100 to buy and then you have to install.

An interesting observation is that I read about some heated trailers units are used to melt the snow off their machines whilst they are parked inside for the night. Melting snow and drying out gear sounds like a whole different issue to solve. What happens to all of the water that does not evaporate? Does it not freeze in the cracks and crannies when it is cold out? I think I would freeze up my hinges in the back doors as it is sloped to the back. Fans will help dry out your gear and sled, but the moisture will condense on the cold walls and run down the sides. If you vent the air outside then you need a lot bigger heater than 35000 BTU heater to keep it warm.

I have a 28' enclosed with insulated walls and a spray insulation floor with a 25,000 BTU RV furnace in mine with one of these blowers from Princess Auto () running on the floor overnight and that dries 2 sleds and 2 sets of gear great. Everything was bone dry on Sunday morning after riding on saturday. I do find that it does have some trouble keeping up when the overnight temps are around -15 but all the gear is always dry.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

All the water runs to the low spots and re-freezes yes. Put in some floor drains with removeable covers, tilt the trailer up slightly and try and direct the water as best as possible to these areas, that will help the draining of melted snow and ice. Nothing you can do about condensation, it comes with the rapid temp change and ultra high humidity of having a bunch of snow and water in the trailer. Get a sealed unit that vents to atmosphere and insulate well, that's about all you can hope for.

Gunnerthesnowman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 38 Foot enclosed hallmark , 6 inch sprayed foam under floor ,floor is lineX , walls and roof insulated , 45,000 btu force air , you can park 4 snow covered sleds and hang gear up and everthing is dry in the morning , 30lb under floor propane tank will last 3-4 nights at -10to -15 outside , we I go out by myself I sleep in my trailer.

Attachments

• DSC_0045small.JPG
    DSC_0045small.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 297

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I did my last trailer by buying a 35000btu furnace from RV country in edm. $800.00. Propane tank front mount and lines were another couple hundred. Took a weekend to install and worked great. I wouldn't bother melting out sleds takes too much energy and isn't worth it. However for changing in or doing repairs it's frigging perfect.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a sled trailer?

Yes, they make a grate style that goes in the floor, you blow the forced air into it (not water or electric if thats waht you are thinking). No different than the floor vents in your house, just along the floor of the trailer under the sleds. See Chris Burandt's trailer promo on youtube.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, they make a grate style that goes in the floor, you blow the forced air into it (not water or electric if thats waht you are thinking). No different than the floor vents in your house, just along the floor of the trailer under the sleds. See Chris Burandt's trailer promo on youtube.

Cool.

Thegeneral

Top Bottom