heated handlebar?????

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 06 Apex with CR racing bars.....when I turn up the heat it gets warm......not hot! is there a trick on rewiring them to get them hotter?

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Are they aluminum bars? Aluminum will absorb alot of the heat. My xp had a cork wrapping around the bars at the grip to solve this problem. You can buy the cork wraps seperate from the grips and bars from skidoo. But you may have to change the stickers on your machine.:d :beer:

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be your elements going, happened to me last week, left grip totally shot and right one just gets warm. If you have a shop manual you can put the multimeter to it and check if the ohm's are in the right range.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a yamaheater. Works way better than the yamaha set up. Lots of discussion about it on totallyamaha.com. Here the website for info...YAMAHEATER HOME

tankeryanker

Reaction score
deefinately go with the yamaheater, my nytro had terrible hand warmers till I put one on. One of the best upgrades I've ever done!!!

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The handwarmers were pathetic on my 06 Attak. I installed an 07 wiring harness and burn my hands if I turn them up much past 1/2. Apparently they are wired different in 06, series vs parallel.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The handwarmers were pathetic on my 06 Attak. I installed an 07 wiring harness and burn my hands if I turn them up much past 1/2. Apparently they are wired different in 06, series vs parallel.

so can I rewire mine? are they in a series or a parallel? series would create more resitence.....and if one element burns out they would both quit. do you have any wiring diagrams on how to fix this?

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't drive a yammaha, but my heaters sucked, until a buddy suggested filling the hollow bars with expanding spray foam insulation, they now are awesome
my $0.02

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Foaming the bars on the 06 Yammie makes a bit of a difference, but the wiring harness for 07 changes the bars from parallel to series..which increase voltage and makes them hot. I got the harness (wiring lead) with a handlebar upgrade that Yamaha sent out in 06. At the time you couldn't get the harness alone. The part number for the wire lead is 8FP-82318-10. I've been running an 07 wiring harness with my 06 bars for 2 seasons, and I don't turn them up past half.:beer:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

great info.....I really dont need to go buy the part #8FP-82318-10......I just have to wire mine like the picture! thanks...best info here! this does not overload the circut?

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Strange that they would go back to a parallel setup. My 97 mountain max is set up as series and burns the crap out of my hands if I turn it up to much.

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using this set-up for two seasons and the guy that told me about it for four with no electrical issues...period. I've heard people complain about melting their grips. To them I say "turn'em down dumbazz":confused:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using this set-up for two seasons and the guy that told me about it for four with no electrical issues...period. I've heard people complain about melting their grips. To them I say "turn'em down dumbazz":confused:

so true lol

so I really dont need to go buy that wire part.....just pull out my souldering gun and heat shrink and make the same wiring patteren?

you guys are great! thanks for all the info!

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the sub-lead. It was neat and tidy, plug and play. I don't see why you couldn't wire it up on your own though.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
finally got time to rewire the heated bars........they work great and on high, they dont melt the grips.........they are just right......thanks again for the great info!

Top Bottom