Heading to Abram Lake this weeking

Will Bondy

Reaction score
Going with a small group of people to Abram Lake this weekend any words of wisdom???

THis is my first time there. My 2 year old son and I will be bombing around. Can't wait to use my new Etrax 20 with Topo maps should be fun. I heard the trails were pretty good. 26Foot long trailer loaded and ready!!!

shawn.t

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You will definately enjoy it out there! Tons of nicely maintained trails, and great camping below the dam. If you head straight across the dam, and follow the old logging road up to a huge grassy hill, there is a lookout on the right side with a great view of the whole valley.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on the other side of the dam is a sign with a mailbox on it..in there are maps of the area and there are marked trails so on dont get too lost..on the north side on the highway and a little to the west is another trail that takes you up a nice trail up the mountain...if you cross the highway and go right you can ride to the waterfalls,,its the first and only trail that goes off to the left ..have fun

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll love it. Lots of family friendly riding...just be careful in the corners...there's a ton of traffic out there, and a lot of people that don't pay attention.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We are going to be there. Been too many times to count. Trails across the dam are for the most part pretty easy. There are some further along that are a little more tricky. The one across the highway from what I remember was pretty chewed up in spots, but like GFORCE said the one to Crescent Falls is good.

Will Bondy

Reaction score
Ok, the trip was awesome,
Make sure you bring a dust protector for your face gets a bit dusty in that
area, we manage with a group of 19 quads head north up into the mountain and
what should have taken about 3 to 4 hours turned into a 7.5 hour trip hehehe.
If there are any people looking to clear, right after the Falls there are a few
paths that looked like a tornado hit it, you will need to get a chainsaw to cut
some holes through. I have a big quad and my back Chair rest was a issue,
needed 3 guys to pull down on the quad to get under the trees hehehe. There was
one Polaris that over heated then to make matters worst cut a nice hole on the
side wall of the quad... Lets say we made his evening go much better with some
spirits hehehe, I would recommend that to family and aggressive drivers. Next
to Ruby Fall one of my best trips ever. I think was makes it nice is the option
to jump into that lake at the end of the day… Yes it is very cold but damn it
is so clean.

Even a Two year old can do it.... IMG-20120805-00321.jpg

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are going to be there. Been too many times to count. Trails across the dam are for the most part pretty easy. There are some further along that are a little more tricky. The one across the highway from what I remember was pretty chewed up in spots, but like GFORCE said the one to Crescent Falls is good.
...thanks miranda!

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Well we were also at Bighorn and the best weather and no mosquitos weekend ever. We did the Crescent Falls loop on sunday, only took 3 hours. The first part of the trail was way more chewed up then 2 years ago when we did it. On saturday we did a 7.5 hour ride and a scary one at that.We did the D15 to D16 trail over the mountain to North Ram River. There are about 5 big hills to climb usually not really a problem until the last 2 or so.They are so rutted that you actually had to walk beside your quad and get help from others in group to get machines up ( you would end up in the ruts). Not a trail for the fainthearted or beginners. Once over then we had a challenge getting out of the creek. There were trees blocking our path(had no saw) so we winched the machines up an 8ft embankment to get out. Forgot to take pics of that one, too busy praying that winches would keep working, they did. Had lunch at a couple of outfitter tents along the trail beside the ram river then onto the trunk road to D13 and back upstream on Joyce Creek. Dean loves that trail. Back to D15 to D8the long way and through some of the other trails and back to camp.Sunday afternoon went to the lake. Bighorn Trails (640x480).jpg Abraham Lake (2) (640x473).jpg And no my quad is not in the water(for those of you who might be wondering)

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Ok, the trip was awesome,
Make sure you bring a dust protector for your face gets a bit dusty in that
area, we manage with a group of 19 quads head north up into the mountain and
what should have taken about 3 to 4 hours turned into a 7.5 hour trip hehehe.
If there are any people looking to clear, right after the Falls there are a few
paths that looked like a tornado hit it, you will need to get a chainsaw to cut
some holes through. I have a big quad and my back Chair rest was a issue,
needed 3 guys to pull down on the quad to get under the trees hehehe. There was
one Polaris that over heated then to make matters worst cut a nice hole on the
side wall of the quad... Lets say we made his evening go much better with some
spirits hehehe, I would recommend that to family and aggressive drivers. Next
to Ruby Fall one of my best trips ever. I think was makes it nice is the option
to jump into that lake at the end of the day… Yes it is very cold but damn it
is so clean.

Even a Two year old can do it....View attachment 134092

We did that trail too off the Crescent Falls road, a lot of blown down trees for sure, the box on my quad got roughed up a bit too going under those 2 big trees. 2 years ago it was a piece of cake.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we were also at Bighorn and the best weather and no mosquitos weekend ever. We did the Crescent Falls loop on sunday, only took 3 hours. The first part of the trail was way more chewed up then 2 years ago when we did it. On saturday we did a 7.5 hour ride and a scary one at that.We did the D15 to D16 trail over the mountain to North Ram River. There are about 5 big hills to climb usually not really a problem until the last 2 or so.They are so rutted that you actually had to walk beside your quad and get help from others in group to get machines up ( you would end up in the ruts). Not a trail for the fainthearted or beginners. Once over then we had a challenge getting out of the creek. There were trees blocking our path(had no saw) so we winched the machines up an 8ft embankment to get out. Forgot to take pics of that one, too busy praying that winches would keep working, they did. Had lunch at a couple of outfitter tents along the trail beside the ram river then onto the trunk road to D13 and back upstream on Joyce Creek. Dean loves that trail. Back to D15 to D8the long way and through some of the other trails and back to camp.Sunday afternoon went to the lake.View attachment 134099View attachment 134100And no my quad is not in the water(for those of you who might be wondering)

Fyi the d15 to d16 trail is closed according to the srd site and is not be used as well as the d15 to d13 (trunk road)
there was signs up the weekend before the long weekend some azzhats probably ripped the signs down again

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Fyi the d15 to d16 trail is closed according to the srd site and is not be used as well as the d15 to d13 (trunk road)
there was signs up the weekend before the long weekend some azzhats probably ripped the signs down again
Nice to know but we never saw any signs saying the trails were closed, and neither did the other people that were on those trails that weekend.Sh#$t just checked the SRD site, pisses me off now that we never saw any signs. Will make sure from now on to check the site for closures and not rely on physical signage alone.

Last edited:

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just back from a GREAT weekend at BigHorn !!! Great Weather and quiet !!! Really quiet after all the "rugrats" are back in school !!! There was like maybe 10 campers there ALL TOGETHER...down by river and up in the trees !!!
D8 has been closed when we were at BigHorn in August (2nd weekend)......... BUT it was open now !! Did the D8 loop and back to the ravine and down ...on Saturday. Was a great time !! My daughter on her Honda 250ES did pretty good on some of that "hairy" stuff !!
Sunday ...my son-in-law and I did the D8 trail to D15...............and decided to go to D16 to the Ram River !!!! HOLY SMOKES !!! Not for the faint hearted !!! Boy some pretty steep ravines with rain wash-outs down the middle of the trail !!! But we made it to Ram River and close to Forestry Trunk Road !!! We ended up just turning around and going back on same trail. We too had to "ride the creek" close to Ram River.....but was able to get by all the obstacles !!! I will do D15 again.....BUT might need a stiff drink BEFORE I go !!! (LOL)

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In August when we were there ......the RCMP and the SRD were at the ravine (checking plates and insurance)........ they said it's UP TO THE RIDERS to know which trails are closed and to stay off. They do post maps at the bulletin board at the Dam BUT usually some dumby rips it off and throws it away. Same goes for the flagging at the trail signs....some one rips it off.......AND other riders who don't know any better, ride on CLOSED trails !!! The RCMP did say ...it's pretty easy to tell innocent riders from IDIOTS !!!

Top Bottom