Grizzly 700 dipstick

A

abmotorhand

I recently had a problem with my new griz 700, the dipstick fell out or was knocked out by a stick or something while i was riding. I did not notice it was missing until the motor started to tick. So I stopped to check the oil only to find that the dipstick was missing, and yes I did check it before I started to ride, old habit from driving old quads. The result is a 8600$ bill to rebuild my motor and Yamaha says there is nothing wrong with a slide in dipstick with nothing to keep it from coming out. I was wondering if anybody else out there has had any problems with their dipstick coming loose, if so please respond to this post so that I can prove to Yamaha that they need to change their design to a thread in dipstick like everyother quad, and fix mine under warranty. Any help will be greatly apreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

dean_jimmy96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i havent had any probs with mine comming out but when i first got my machine the guy that sold it to me told me that he was worried that it would come out if a stick got in there
whats his name oh glen from alberta cycle

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Well that is a pretty stupid set up for a dipstick. I am going to buy a 2008 griz when they come out this fall. So hopefully that has been changed!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I first seen the thread title and thought you were talking about the rider!
LOL! LMAO! BA! HA! LOL!:rolling::rollinglaugh::rolling::rollinglaugh:
catmando!

Molsondrinkr

Reaction score
First time I ever rode with a 700, the dipstick fell out. We noticed it before any damage. It needed a liter of oil. Some guys are zip tieing it down. I think I will try this as I have never been comfortable with this set up. I mean of all the things to cheap out on, Yamaha picks this?

I have also considered a boat plug and just carry the dipstick with me.

Later
Molsondrinkr

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Ya that is a pretty serious issue to have with a new machine. And it is a hell of a way to cheap out instead of a screw in one. I don't know what the way is to fix that as i haven't got mine yet. a zip tie would work but it could still wiggle off. And the other thing is the o- ring big enough to keep the "stuff"out of the engine.Like the Red Green show------ Duct tape . Talk to ya later

Tweaker 660

RIP Jan 16,2009
Reaction score
I recently had a problem with my new griz 700, the dipstick fell out or was knocked out by a stick or something while i was riding. I did not notice it was missing until the motor started to tick. So I stopped to check the oil only to find that the dipstick was missing, and yes I did check it before I started to ride, old habit from driving old quads. The result is a 8600$ bill to rebuild my motor and Yamaha says there is nothing wrong with a slide in dipstick with nothing to keep it from coming out. I was wondering if anybody else out there has had any problems with their dipstick coming loose, if so please respond to this post so that I can prove to Yamaha that they need to change their design to a thread in dipstick like everyother quad, and fix mine under warranty. Any help will be greatly apreciated.

Sounds like a stupid set up. That rebuild price sounds really high to. You should be able to buy a new engine for less then that.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha (as is with most of the manufacturers) do not sell complete engines. One part at a time.:rant:

Tweaker 660

RIP Jan 16,2009
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought the famous 900 Polaris Rmk and has blown the bottom end twice. The on rebuild he actually needed new bottom end casing bottom end bearings, they replaced the top end as well as new computer and fuel injectors ( because they didn't know what was causing the problem) And the rebuild price was still around $5500. 8600 Seems insane on a $11000 Quad. More examples of dealers not backing there product. My friend paid $14500 + tax in 2005 and could not get $8500 with 1200miles on his RMK last year, After he bought 2 more years of extended warranty. Polaris wouldn't even touch it on a trade.

Top Bottom